What if the UFC forum was separated into a "free to troll" and a "civilized discussion" forum?

Says the guy with yellows and an AV disparaging helwani. Smh

I got a yellow for comparing Cowboy to Butch from Pulp Fiction from a mod who just seemed to not like me (or was a huge Conor fan). This is why I would like so much for the process to be democratic.

I got a yellow for comparing Cowboy to Butch from Pulp Fiction from a mod who just seemed to not like me. This is why I would like so much for the process to be democratic.
Anyone who has had yellows belongs in the troll forum, sorry

Discussion in another thread (about how trolls apparently drove Roxy away from Sherdog) made me wonder what if the UFC forum was separated into a "free to troll" and a "civilized discussion" forum?

Sherdog seems very self-aware that it is full of trolls. Contrary to what you might expect, I am not even against trolls. Everyone needs to let off some steam and aggression once in awhile and a place to do that might not be a bad thing. At the same time, it is also nice sometimes to have a civilized discussion with people who are interested in and capable of doing the same. Clearly, the two cannot coexist. So what if there were two forums, one where you're free to troll and another for civilized discussion?

Also I'm curious about ideas for a democratic process by which people can gain or lose the privilege to post in the civilized discussion forum that does not rely on mods? Maybe, for example, there is a "dislike" in the civilized discussion forum that causes someone to lose privilege to post there for a certain amount of time if they accumulate too much in some time window?
That is what makes Sherdog great. It isnt manicured, and the mods are generally not playing thought police to preserve their version of "civilized." Go to BloodyElbow for that.

I got a yellow for comparing Cowboy to Butch from Pulp Fiction from a mod who just seemed to not like me. This is why I would like so much for the process to be democratic.

You're advocating for "censorship" (by either moving or deleting posts) of opinions you do not like / can not handle / interpret as trolling.
That's dumb. Just stfu and don't reply to "trolls" if they bother you so much. There's also the ignore feature so you never need to see their posts again if that's what you want.

Basically I'm lumping all such behavior under the term "trolling", including douchebags, sociopaths, people too young to have learned how to communicate properly, etc.

So basically you want your very own forum then, am i right?

That is what makes Sherdog great. It isnt manicured, and the mods are generally not playing thought police to preserve their version of "civilized." Go to BloodyElbow for that.

Well you can still troll in the "free to troll" forum, which can perhaps even have less rules about trolling.

McGregordog Forums are running fine, quit your yappin'

You're advocating for "censorship" (by either moving or deleting posts) of opinions you do not like / can not handle / interpret as trolling.
That's dumb. Just stfu and don't reply to "trolls" if they bother you so much. There's also the ignore feature so you never need to see their posts again if that's what you want.

No, in fact part of what I'm advocating is a "free to troll" forum with even less rules. There would simply be another place for people interested in serious discussion, with access determined democratically.

I know there is an "ignore" function, but the fact is that trolling or certain people who just don't know how to talk do make pleasant discussion impossible, otherwise why is there such a consensus that fighters have been driven off these forums by such people? Also people evolve, so it's never felt natural to me to ignore someone.

Well you can still troll in the "free to troll" forum, which can perhaps even have less rules about trolling.
No. That would become a wasteland. Your idea is bad. I dont mean it as a personal attack, but your proposal would literally destroy why I like Sherdog. So vetoed.

To be honest if a consequence of having fighters posting on the board meant everyone had to kiss their asses all the time I'd rather not have them.

point on the Dana doll where the bad trolls touched you

The mods loosened up BIGTIME, you used to scroll through threads and see posters you knew...banned, banned, double yellow everywhere... the non-fighter bashing, accusations of roiding just wasn’t tolerated. Now not so much, I honestly attribute the change to the Rousey-McGregor eras, the mods just couldn’t keep up with the sheer volume of hate...lol, but sad.
<Fedor23>

Hey! Anyone ever find that there is just a perfect temperature to enjoy coffee at? I just brewed a cup and let it sit maybe 3 minutes and it was perfect. Very hot but at no point was it burning me. Incredible when you get it right.

No one is stopping you from starting your own MMA discussion site/forum where you can apply whatever rules you want.

To be honest if a consequence of having fighters posting on the board meant everyone had to kiss their asses all the time I'd rather not have them.

Why should "civilized discussion" be confused with ass-kissing?

It's the difference between "I disagree with you because of such and such reasons, which I think outweigh the advantages you point out" versus "you're wrong cause you're a dumb asshole".

Back