What if the Lightweight division was treated like the Heavyweight division?

I made the thread for a reason and I even stated there would obviously be pros and cons.

Don't get me wrong... I think the weight classes should be different. I just think the weight differential would be crazy from 155 to 125.

then we'd have a good reason to have tournmants and less oversaturation of shows.

bad idea no point in having ben henderson fight demetrious johnson. the gap in weight is huge. especially when some flyweights aren't even big for the weight class.

It's a terrible idea. Literally all the 135ers/125ers would be at the bottom of the division and we'd lose a bunch of exciting fighters

it's worse than that - they wouldn't be at the bottom, they'd be out of the sport - guys that size would have all this talent and skill and no where to compete -

TS doesn't seem to understand math or physics - if a man weighs 250 lbs 30 lbs is equivalent to about 12% of his total weight - but for a man who weighs 135lbs that's about 22% of his total weight and that's a huge difference/disadvantage - the bigger the man the less the weight difference means with regards to power and leverage - obviously it still matters and that's why 225lb men cut to lhw but it's in no way equivocal to the lighter weight classes

it's worse than that - they wouldn't be at the bottom, they'd be out of the sport - guys that size would have all this talent and skill and no where to compete -

TS doesn't seem to understand math or physics - if a man weighs 250 lbs 30 lbs is equivalent to about 12% of his total weight - but for a man who weighs 135lbs that's about 22% of his total weight and that's a huge difference/disadvantage - the bigger the man the less the weight difference means with regards to power and leverage - obviously it still matters and that's why 225lb men cut to lhw but it's in no way equivocal to the lighter weight classes

Way to insult someone asking a simple question.

Way to insult someone asking a simple question.

the answer was obvious - it's not like you have to consult with a mathematician to understand the basic concept - either you aren't thinking or don't get numbers at all - the idea behind sport is a fair and level playing field in order to promote honest competition - it's the very meaning of sport - without it you just have spectacle hence the weight classes

if the numbers are beyond you than simply visualize dodson or demetrious johnson in a cage with ben henderson or donald cerrone - it's ludicrous, you might as well ask them to fight a wild boar

if you don't want to hear it from people than think before you post much less start a thread - foolish or ill conceived ideas and those who post them are shown no mercy here - you should know that

I'm not surprised to see so many people say it's a terrible idea, but I am surprised that nobody cares that the heavyweight division works this way. Why is it fair for a 220lb guy to have to fight a 260lb guy, but blasphemy for a 125 guy to fight a 155 guy?

Again, not against the weight classes, but just think it's interesting that heavyweights can be outweighed by like 30 lbs and nobody cares?

I'm not surprised to see so many people say it's a terrible idea, but I am surprised that nobody cares that the heavyweight division works this way. Why is it fair for a 220lb guy to have to fight a 260lb guy, but blasphemy for a 125 guy to fight a 155 guy?

Again, not against the weight classes, but just think it's interesting that heavyweights can be outweighed by like 30 lbs and nobody cares?

for the reason i gave right above regarding the difference those lbs make for larger men compared to smaller men - and i'm sure you know that 220lb guys never fight at hw

for the reason i gave right above regarding the difference those lbs make for larger men compared to smaller men - and i'm sure you know that 220lb guys never fight at hw
This...

The unwritten rule for HW is really 235-265. Anyone who's lighter than that cuts down to LHW.

the answer was obvious - it's not like you have to consult with a mathematician to understand the basic concept - either you aren't thinking or don't get numbers at all - the idea behind sport is a fair and level playing field in order to promote honest competition - it's the very meaning of sport - without it you just have spectacle hence the weight classes

if the numbers are beyond you than simply visualize dodson or demetrious johnson in a cage with ben henderson or donald cerrone - it's ludicrous, you might as well ask them to fight a wild boar

if you don't want to hear it from people than think before you post much less start a thread - foolish or ill conceived ideas and those who post them are shown no mercy here - you should know that

This is where I leave lol

I get your point. I am just saying that even though the size difference doesn't mean as much at heavyweight, that doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything. It's still pretty unfair for a dude Randy's size to have to fight a guy Lesnar or Overeem's size. We are all used to seeing these size mismatches at heavyweight though, so it doesn't really get talked about.

Having said that, I am not saying the smaller heavyweights never win or couldn't take out the huge heavyweights...just saying that based on size alone, some of the match ups seem kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
I get your point. I am just saying that even though the size difference doesn't mean as much at heavyweight, that doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything. It's still pretty unfair for a dude Randy's size to have to fight a guy Lesnar or Overeem's size. We are all used to seeing these size mismatches at heavyweight though, so it doesn't really get talked about.
Randy Couture didn't have to fight at HW. He could have easily stayed at LHW.

Cain and dos Santos aren't very large for heavyweight and they're top of the division.

Randy Couture didn't have to fight at HW. He could have easily stayed at LHW.

Cain and dos Santos aren't very large for heavyweight and they're top of the division.

This is true, a lot of the smaller heavyweights could make 205 if they desired, good point. Again, not really arguing, just saying.

If the LW was treated like the LHW, Chad Mendes would be fighting for the title right now. Although he's coming off of a couple of wins, he may be overqualified.

What would be the pros and cons of this I wonder? I'm not trying to trash fighters under 155, I'm just wondering what if the UFC considered doing it that way instead of creating three new divisions.

You mean bringing UFC back to what it was prior to the introduction of the under 155 weight class basically .
Maybe they should add the women under 155 to that division too . Would make sense since they all weight under 155 pounds .

It may take 200 years, but when we finally get that 125er who could rule the roost, wow, how neat it would be... in 200 years

This is true, a lot of the smaller heavyweights could make 205 if they desired, good point. Again, not really arguing, just saying.
Yeah I think it's good to leave the HW division a little open. The weight differential isn't that great. if you weigh 220 and have the balls to fight at HW, then good on ya. If not, easy cut to LHW.

Back