What if the Lightweight division was treated like the Heavyweight division?

RearNakedCarlos

White Belt
Reaction score
What would be the pros and cons of this I wonder? I'm not trying to trash fighters under 155, I'm just wondering what if the UFC considered doing it that way instead of creating three new divisions.

You mean have a 155 and under, weight division, as opposed to having 145, 135, 125?

The gap when it comes to HW isn't that big compared to other weight classes. Someone who weighs 125 fighting someone who weighs 155 and possibly 10-20 lbs heavier would get beaten badly. We have weight classes for a reason

Yeah, UFC's LW division be 155-125. Kinda Like the Heavyweight division is 209(?)-265.

This wouldn't make sense. HW has 29ish fighters. LW alone has like 70 some. Add FW, BW, and FLW, and you'd have a division with over 100 fighters. It would jam the division right the fuck up, and if Benson ever fought Mighty Mouse, the size differential would be way too big.

It'd be an even bigger clusterfuck of talent than it already is.

Not a bad idea (coming from a 5'6'' 128 pounder). It would suck for the smaller guys but depth would be incredible and more stylistic matchups (less wrestlers).

That would be just the way it was before they introduced 125,135 and 145.

Basically we'd lose 3 exciting divisions and the smaller guys would move up and have to fight at an inappropriate weight class.

As you go up in weight classes the weight matters less and less.

10lbs to a 240lbs guy is nothing. 10lbs to a 145 guy is a lot.

Not a bad idea (coming from a 5'6'' 128 pounder). It would suck for the smaller guys but depth would be incredible and more stylistic matchups (less wrestlers).

It's a terrible idea. Literally all the 135ers/125ers would be at the bottom of the division and we'd lose a bunch of exciting fighters

As you go up in weight classes, the weight matters less and less.

This guy gets it

I weigh 135 lbs and its hard for me to put on weight. The most I've ever weighed in my life was 140

As you go up in weight classes the weight matters less and less.

You're right bc I used to box at 120lbs for many years & I used to spar bigger guys all the time & you can definitely feel the weight difference. Back in 05 I fought a guy 10lbs heavier by sneaking an ankle weight under my sweats during weigh-ins (it was risky but I pulled it off). Even though I won I could really feel his power.

Just eat some crap, you'll gain weight.

Yes, but beyond a certain point most of it will tend to be fat. And even if you did manage to put it all on as muscle then you'd lose a lot of your speed and would have a big reach disadvantage against the generally taller guys at LW.

Not a fan of this idea. 125ers would have absolutely no chance against 155ers.

charles oliveira has a pretty low bf for walking around weight

edit: lol wrong thread

Last edited:
change nothing, there is more talent in the <155 divisions then any others. TBH the Flyweight division has been more exciting then the heavyweight division has been in a while. I don't understand why some people would rather watch the sloppier bigger guys whom often out muscle things rather then work on the technique. They don't have the talent that 155 has, and smaller guys as you can see have the cleaner standup, cleaner grappling, better cardio, and have more technical game plans. Don't get me wrong I love a good KO from a huge punch, but they aren't the 'better' fighters they are just the bigger fighters. Everyone needs to drop the heavyweight champiion of the world mentality .

What would be the pros and cons of this I wonder? I'm not trying to trash fighters under 155, I'm just wondering what if the UFC considered doing it that way instead of creating three new divisions.
You can't really do that...

155 to 125 is a 30 pound 21% difference
265 to 235 is a 30 pound 11% difference

Back