What if the CM Punk fight was called "exhibition" ?

casual_fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have never heard of CM Punk until he was signed. I can see both sides of it, it is insane that someone with no combat experience who is 36 and not known for being a supreme athlete will get to fight on a main UFC card, on the other hand, he will sell pay per views and increase exposure to the sport.

What if the fight was simple called an exhibition ? would that lessen the sting of it ? Calling it an exhibition is an out and out acknowledgment that he isn't even close to being a real MMA artist yet.

I can think of a bunch of famous people that train, let them all fight each other in exhibition matches if they so desire. Joe Rogan vs Al Bundy ? check..... Steven Segal vs anyone ? check ,... chuck Zito ? check ....

Obviously those celebrities wont all do it, but you may get one egotistical enough to want to. and if you put them up against someone equal to their abilities, then I think its fun to watch.

On a slightly more serious note, you can have old fighters fight each other if they desire. I mean, it is just unfair to put Royce Gracie up against anyone current at his weight, but what about Royce vs Bas ruten (dont know what thier weights are, but you get the idea).

Or even going back to something where you take say two distinct styles (boxing vs karate) in which each guy doesn't have any sort of MMA background but is known in their respective sport, and let them fight by MMA rules, like the original UFC events.

I mean, you could end up with a lot of entertaining fights, but since they aren't up to todays standard in the UFC, just call it something else.

Does that lessen the sting of it ?

I personally dont care to see the CP Punk fight only because I don't know him, but I must admit if it was someone I knew well, Id wanna see it regardless of his skill level or "right" to be there.

I would rather have seen him train, and then be on TUF as just one of the normal guys, sort of like they did with Kimbo Slice, lol

maybe give him a few fights in the UFC even if he loses that

Im down with exhibition fights honestly

Aoki and mousassi vs fedor were awesome to watch. no 1 gets hurt in most exhibition cause they pull strikes but they do grapple pretty strong. For entertainment value its better probably for the sport than signing cm punk.....

exhibitions should be for celebrities like you are suggesting tho. Just fighters

tl, dr - mma ladder match!

I would be very OK with exhibition fights, so long as they called them exhibition fights instead of marketing them as actual fights.

Back