What if Takanori Gomi defeats Diego Sanchez? Does he deserve a title shot?

Hecks nah. He'll prob get a top 10 guy next.

my rule of thumb is that if you beat Marc Danzig, you get a title shot.

in the case of Gomi, we just have to factor in that he hasn't been very good for years. so that probably overrides the above rule.

it is a shame that many new fans never got to see Gomi in his prime. he was a scary dude back then

It will take someone crazy like Gomi to beat Benson. Before you all flame me, remember Benson is a very systematic calculating fighter who likes to dictate the pace of the fight by wearing down his opponent, he doesnt go looking for a round 1 KO or sub. The only times we ever see him get tagged or look flustered is when a brawler starts teeing off because it disrupts his flow and makes him doubt his own chin (eg. Pettis and a few hairy moments against Frankie). I firmly believe that Gomi still has the heaviest hands in the world at lightweight. One shot KO power at LW is special. I believe in Gomi, he could be the one to finish Benson in under 2 rounds after shrugging off a few sub attempts and nasty jabs / kicks.

TAKANORI, GAMBARE!

Love Gomi, but thats entirely laughable. He would have to give the KO of the year to even get back in the picture.

it is a shame that many new fans never got to see Gomi in his prime. he was a scary dude back then

In his prime? TG is only 34 years old. Chael Sonnen is 35 years old and Frank Edgar is 31 years old.

Again, I have to mention that Gomi is much better known than Jacob Volkmann and Evan Dunham.

Chael Sonnen was given 3 title shots (that's THREE chances at a world championship) because he can talk and sell but not win titles.

Chael Sonnen MADE himself well-known with his mouth (not his fights). At least Takanori Gomi MADE himself well-known with many great victories in his MMA fights.

Gomi has, at the very least, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez, Donald Cerrone, Jim Miller, Jamie Varner, Rafael Dos Anjos, TJ Grant and Yves Edwards a head of him in the "worthy of a title shot" category. A win over Diego would be impressive but nothing to scream "TITLE SHOT!" over.

It would propel him IMO into a big higher profile fight where maybe he could take the next step toward one though.

One step closer to his next sub loss

Chael has showed us you dont even have to win a fight to get a title shot so yes he does deserve a title shot. He just needs to trash talk as often as he can and take some lessons from WWE wrasslers. Hows Gomi's English?

I dont believe sonnen deserved a title shot and he probably would not have gotten it if hendo was healthy, sure sonnen lost last fight but the guy in last 4 years lost to only one guy and everybody lost to that guy in like forever.

Lightweight is a far too talent rich division to get a title shot based off a win streak consisting of Diego, Danzig, and Eiji.

They're good wins, don't get me wrong, and i'm not trying to disrespect any one of them, but the weight class is just too deep for it to happen.

With that said, war Gomi!

I am a huge Gomi fan. I loved his fights in Pride. I do not think he can beat Diego at this point. It will look similar to the Guida fight. And if he does manage to upset Diego, no, he does not deserve a title shot. He has lost to every top ten guy he has fought in the UFC, sometimes badly (Florian, Diaz).

This question is irrelevant because this fight won't be close.

Supposedly, TG and DS are going to duel this March. I say supposedly because we're talking about MMA fights and many athletes seem to be injuring themselves.

If Gomi beats Diego (or any replacement), does he deserve a chance for the UFC Lightweight World Championship?

This hypothetical victory would give Takanori a 3-fight winning streak. He stopped Eiji Mitsuoka with a knockout in the second round and then won a close decision against Mac Danzig. Remember that Diego Sanchez already had a title shot at LW and Takanori Gomi never had a chance.

How would TG do against Benson Henderson?
No chance he would get a title shot but it's a moot point because Diego is going to break him. He will ground and pound Gomi all day after the first round.

The LW division didnt just pass these 2 by, it sprinted by them. They both went from top 5 to not even being relevant. No title shots for either of them anytime soon and more than likely never.

I think Sanchez still has it in him to make another run. If he gets passed Gomi id love to see him fight Nate (hopefully itll be as exciting as his fight with his brother)

Back