What if Ronda beats Cyborg easily?

Gabbi Garcia.

4ef9aa99c.jpg

Wait... wrong Gabi Garcia...

No, no I think that's her. Will need more pics to be sure.

Wait that's a Filipina actress, I recognize her from shows my wife watches.

My stance: It's the only legitimate fight that could ever be made in mainstream WMMA aside from Gina vs Cyborg.

WTF? What did Gina ever do to make herself more 'legitimate' than Ronda's opponents or for matter Marloes Coenen who Cyborg also fought? Her best was a decision over Julie Kedzie and she retired a mere 7-1. She didn't even last as long against Cyborg as Coenen or several other opponents. Nostalgia goggles much?

Ronda should back up her words from a couple of years ago saying "I'm going to drop to 135 and get the title and then go to 145 and get the title". I don't care to see Cyborg fight at a weight lighter than shes ever fought before. They should just have a "superfight" at 140; Both keep their titles and can go back to destroying their original weight class.

Ronda did back it up. She signed to fight Cyborg as her next fight after beating Tate for the 135 title. Cyborg's steroid abuse killed the fight.

Cyborg then wanted 140. Ronda's manager said Ronda thinks she can make 135 without the steroids (which she can), but they were open to 140 with a lucrative offer and steroid testing. Cyborg then immediately refused 140 and said it had to be 145 and did not comment on the steroid testing asked of her.

Now 140 and 145 are impossible, she is irrelevant, and only 135 makes sense.

That is EXACTLY the reason I said "this fight should be a catchweight superfight at 140". No titles change hands. They both get to go back to their original divisions as champs.

Which makes business sense for the UFC how?

Did you not read what I posted?

You don't cut weight until you are offered a contract and given a specific date.You've got it backwards.

She's not cutting because they're not offering. That's the smart and healthy thing to do. Would you go to camp and cut weight for the hope that they "might" schedule you in a championship fight to magically coincide with your camp and weight cut? You probably would but that's not how it works

I'm not arguing, because you conceded, but I wanted to point out something about the bolded portion. Cyborg WAS given and signed a contract to fight at 135 in Invicta late last fall (cant remember the date, late Nov/early Dec) but pulled out due to injury and fought shortly thereafter at 145. I honestly thought some of the threads today about her fighting at 135 in dec were throwbacks from last year.

I appreciate her callouts and the intensity behind them, but the reality is still that she's dragging her feet here... To talk about the fight when you're the one stopping it is bizarre. .

LMAO. When someone calls you out, and offers a catchweight 5lbs above your division, and you are already cutting well over 10lbs to get into your division in the first place, you take the fight, beat them up, and go back to business in your division. That is, if you are confident that you are the greatest fighter out there.

Which makes business sense for the UFC how?

Maybe by being one the highest grossing PPV events ever? Then it leaves open the opportunity for a rematch for the 135 title which again would be one of the highest UFC PPV's ever.

Maybe by being one the highest grossing PPV events ever? Then it leaves open the opportunity for a rematch for the 135 title which again would be one of the highest UFC PPV's ever.

Ronda / Cyborg would barely do better than Ronda / Your Mom. Cyborg has no star power, she will attract almost no additional PPV buys.

If Ronda wins, she and the UFC get almost zero reward, maybe 5 million dollars.
If Ronda loses it will cost them hundreds of millions in revenue throughout her career.

So unless you think Cyborg has less than a 5% chance to win the fight makes no sense from a business perspective.

Personally I think she has less than 5%, but I would hate for a steroid cheater to get anything.

Cyborg would be depleted at 135. But she's a cheater so it's irrelevant if she can Beat Ronda

That's exactly what is going to happen. The haters won't be able to accuse her of ducking or being protected anymore.

It all depends on the weight class. If ronda wins in her weight then cyborg can say she was at a disadvantage. If Ronda goes UP and wins then she bested cyborg at her best. Literally.

Ronda / Cyborg would barely do better than Ronda / Your Mom. Cyborg has no star power, she will attract almost no additional PPV buys.

If Ronda wins, she and the UFC get almost zero reward, maybe 5 million dollars.
If Ronda loses it will cost them hundreds of millions in revenue throughout her career.

So unless you think Cyborg has less than a 5% chance to win the fight makes no sense from a business perspective.

Personally I think she has less than 5%, but I would hate for a steroid cheater to get anything.

You think is all about the US don't you smart paints? Why do you think they just flew Ronda all the way to Brazil for a fight that could be very easily been done in Vegas?

Cyborg vs Ronda, would be a big boost in sales for the US, as it is easy to sell it as a superfight, as a real threat to Ronda, which no other fight lately for Ronda has been and would be huge in Brazil.

This fight would basically be very exciting for both of the UFC's biggest markets USA and Brazil.

Nunez kills someone else mercilessly and she'll have way more ammo than Tryborg, plus highlights in the biggest org, and all of brazil will still root for her and buy it. cyborg keeps fucking up, and the more she does, the less likely it is that she will ever get the fight.

You think is all about the US don't you smart paints? Why do you think they just flew Ronda all the way to Brazil for a fight that could be very easily been done in Vegas?
Ronda asked for it, so she could beat Bethe in her home town. It's almost all about the US, that's where the money is.

Cyborg vs Ronda, would be a big boost in sales for the US, as it is easy to sell it as a superfight, as a real threat to Ronda, which no other fight lately for Ronda has been and would be huge in Brazil.

This fight would basically be very exciting for both of the UFC's biggest markets USA and Brazil.
And would make the UFC very little money if Ronda won, and then if she loses and the girl who beat her left the UFC, and they would lose hundreds of millions.

Reward: $5 million
Risk: hundreds of millions

Real smart, makes sense.

Lol, Yeah it is all about the US. that is why they go to Brazil 6-10 times a year for the last 4 years, have countless TUF Brazil, UFC has a large company operation here in Brazil with marketing on nearly all media sites, bring stars out for a 10 hour + flights, no other country comes close to the attention Brazil gets.

Cyborg was one of the first well known female fighters, making a pretty good living for herself based in the US. Yeah, keep pulling this 5 million out of your rear,whatever, makes no sense... this would obviously be the biggest Wmma super fight by far, speciall for the 2 big UFC markets.

Lol, Yeah it is all about the US. that is why they go to Brazil 6-10 times a year for the last 4 years, have countless TUF Brazil, UFC has a large company operation here in Brazil with marketing on nearly all media sites, bring stars out for a 10 hour + flights, no other country comes close to the attention Brazil gets.

Cyborg was one of the first well known female fighters, making a pretty good living for herself based in the US. Yeah, keep pulling this 5 million out of your rear,whatever, makes no sense... this would obviously be the biggest Wmma super fight by far, speciall for the 2 big UFC markets.

How much money do they make per event from the Brazilian market? How much did Ronda make from the US market last fight?

How much money do they make per event from the Brazilian market? How much did Ronda make from the US market last fight?

I don't know problably a lot from the paid monthly subscription channel, that has exclusive UFC fights rights in Brazil Combate, is pretty expensive about 70 reais which is about 20 US dollars a month and has at least close to a million of Brazilians subscriptions, it also keeps on growing.

Let say 800 thousand subscriptions, times 20 dollars that is an extra 16 million for the UFC a month, just from that Brazilian channel, not counting other source of revenues such as the gate, which is always sold out here.

Here is Dana brushing the old Portuguese just so people can sign the "Combate" channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvjldH070k

Anyway, silly discussion I understand both markets I have lived in the US and in Brazil, while being a fan of MMA. You obviously have little clue of what happens outside of the US so there is little point in this discussion.

Although it should be petty clear even for someone in the US, by the facts I mention, just by going to the efforts of having about 10 UFC events in Brazil per year, which is probably much more difficult logistics operations from the US or even Canada - UFC third market and I believe doesn't even get 5 events a year, should give you a clue how important it is and is not because of an extra change that they do it.

Regardless of Brazil, your idea of the fight not been significantly bigger even in the US is also most likely far off reality.

It will be very early sunday morning. The sun will rise. Nothing special. All well expected.

I don't know problably a lot from the paid monthly subscription channel, that has exclusive UFC fights rights in Brazil Combate, is pretty expensive about 70 reais which is about 20 US dollars a month and has at least close to a million of Brazilians subscriptions, it also keeps on growing.

Let say 800 thousand subscriptions, times 20 dollars that is an extra 16 million for the UFC a month, just from that Brazilian channel, not counting other source of revenues such as the gate, which is always sold out here.

Here is Dana brushing the old Portuguese just so people can sign the "Combate" channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvjldH070k

Anyway, silly discussion I understand both markets I have lived in the US and in Brazil, while being a fan of MMA. You obviously have little clue of what happens outside of the US so there is little point in this discussion.

Although it should be petty clear even for someone in the US, by the facts I mention, just by going to the efforts of having about 10 UFC events in Brazil per year, which is probably much more difficult logistics operations from the US or even Canada - UFC third market and I believe doesn't even get 5 events a year, should give you a clue how important it is and is not because of an extra change that they do it.

Regardless of Brazil, your idea of the fight not been significantly bigger even in the US is also most likely far off reality.

UFC was getting about $5 mil a month ($60 a year). They just made that in one fight from the US market. Sorry, I do have a clue, I knew the exact figures. One big PPV = an entire year's income from Brazil TV rights.

Globo may not renew in 2016, TUF Brazil is failing, gate income is down, the US market is the biggest one, it's just the way it is.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/...n-tv-deals-booming-business-millions-mma-news
http://www.bjpenn.com/report-ufc-in-jeopardy-of-losing-brazilian-tv-deal-due-to-low-ratings/

Back