What if Lesnar had trained striking as well as wrestling in his youth and joined UFC at 18?

You seriously can't speculate about Jim Varney? We could have missed a GOAT in his prime!

You are fucking weak, bud

I am willing to speculate that your mother didn’t give you enough tit when you were young.

Brock didn't like being hit. No fighter does but he doesn't have the stomach for it. Not sure striking would change that
its not that he doesnt have the stomach for it. He started MMA so late that he hasnt been conditioned to take them. You have a A+ athlete like that who starts training striking at 30+ you cant just put them in there with killers in training and sparring that are gonna destroy his confidence. Probably they trained Rousey the same way.

If Lesnar had trained striking from jump he would know better what to do when he got socked

Some people have it built in to give 2 back for every one they get hit by,others got to learn what to do.

Mark Kerr seems a pretty obvious comparison to me, maybe a somewhat smaller frame but not far off in power and just as agile.

Again thouhg to me Lesnar never seemed that well coordinated, not just in his striking but his wrestling as well was never as slick as someone like Coleman or Kerr, he depended more on hustling opponents down via shear power.
I agree. He basically just tried to survive long enough against hunt until he could get him to the corner and thats when his brute strength allowed him to pick hunt up like a laundry bag. When he gnp'd couture you could see that the guy is hammerfisting like a panicked gorilla trying to squash a bug. Not a whole lot of technique going on there

It was mentioned tons of times on video during he's training camps he's training partners were not allowed to hit him on the face even when wearing protective gear.

Some people can take a punch to the face and not affect them some people flinch tense up and just no matter how many times cannot get used to it. Various fighters have talked about not just Bork but other fighters also that struggle with taking punches / jabs to the face etc.
He could have eventually learned...the problem is,we got a world champion here....got to just keep him confidence and hope for the best

Reactions: 1AM
Brock has never really been in a bout where he had to face resistance. He grew up bullying kids and loved it. Him skipping wwe for more training wouldn't have changed that , imo. That was his character. If he was bullied as a kid, maybe. I think lesnar is talented. I don't think lesnar enjoys the violence. He's not a Justin gaethje type. What Gaethje was saying about khabib , saying he doesn't like to fight, etc. That's more applicable to lesnar. This is a dude that is just a freak athlete and find some thing where he could use his talents. I don't think he's a natural fighter or have a love for martial arts. He has the love for money, competition, the adrenaline of winning but fighting and going through adversity of violence? Nah.

He's still a tough son of a bitch. But he's not built like those other guys. He can't be a nail and win. He has to be the hammer.
I hink your off base a little bit.The guy didnt just bully his way to NCAA championship. There were def guys he wrestled that beat him and were better than him. The Carwin fight showed that this guy was willing to take a beating and fight from underneath it. He showed composure to come back from that.
I think that once he got Diverticulitis,it took something from him,and he was not the same guy after that.

Cain For that short window that was his prime. He basically fucks up any heavy weight in the history of the sport.
Well not Fedor,or DC,and we didnt see him fight Stipe,but maybe the rest of those guys probably.

I dont think any amount of training would get Lesnar in a W over Cain

If the UFC hadn't been on life support at time he came out of college, he may well have went that route; same with Angle.

I mean the guy won the championship with barely any experience. Fought the best guys around. And I’m your hypothetical. He would have been the greatest hw. Of all time.

If the UFC hadn't been on life support at time he came out of college, he may well have went that route; same with Angle.

Imagine those two joining the UFC instead of the WWE. Would've been awesome to see.

Well not Fedor,or DC,and we didnt see him fight Stipe,but maybe the rest of those guys probably.

I dont think any amount of training would get Lesnar in a W over Cain

Prime Cain in a cage wrecks Fedor IMO..

I will take Fedor in the ring.. He would put Fedor on the fence like he did with JDS in 2 and 3 and whoop him. Fedor may get the big punch in once like JDS.. But Cain would win the trilogy..

If he would have come directly out of college and straight into MMAs 2002 talent pool while fully juiced up without the celebrity and the ego he would have been death incarnate. Ricco, Randy and Barnett were scary guys, but it's hard to imagine a healthy, young, properly trained, juiced up Lesnar doesn't tie them in knots.

Brock didn't like being hit. No fighter does but he doesn't have the stomach for it. Not sure striking would change that

It’s probably the one thing that would’ve changed it. How many guys from a kickboxing or boxing background literally shit themselves when strikes start to get thrown at them in the manner Brock used to?

he'd fizzle like bob sapp. Bob didnt like to get hit, but shows for a paycheck.

Even if he just had a great MMA coach, and was committed he would be far ahead of the game at that point.. Nobody was on his level athletically..
Agree there. I think though in that era and for a while after wrestlers dominated. I think he would have essentially the same style and not really much evolved striking but he would be younger, more in his prime and dominant. Basically just an even better version of what he was

Back