What if Brock Lesnar picked up MMA earlier?

You don't think a big part of his reaction was due to not being used to getting punched in the face?
It was but he just reacted so badly to it. There was fighters with as much experience as him that can just take an asswhooping and not cower at all. I think it has to do lot with him always being the big hammer in life. He never really had to take asswhooping from people, by the time he came to the ufc it was too late.

But he did need striking training, which was new to him. Of course it would have been a really bad idea to try and stand with Mark Hunt.

it almost like in the wwe he had to learn how to punch so he doesnt hurt people.

He wouldn't get pushed to the top like he did. He would actually have to work his way to the top.

That said, I can see him developing a better overall skillset. I imagine he would at least be a better version of Curtis Blaydes.

it almost like in the wwe he had to learn how to punch so he doesnt hurt people.
Yeah that type of striking training is detrimental when you start actually trying to learn how to strike to actually hurt someone. I'm sure he had a lot of bad habits starting out because of WWF/WWE.

OP, you're killing it today with all these original threads that have never, ever been made before on Sherdog before. I am really impressed with your posting prowess. I have never met anyone before who is so committed to avoiding the search function. Someone needs to buy you a platinum account, stat.

Bumping those threads doesn't really work or get attention does it? Anyway these threads are pretty welcome, i like reading them.

As far as the OP goes, Hard to tell if he would have picked up the grit or always been shy from getting hit, took me a year to lose fear of getting smashed and it still kinda came back when i knew i was going to get lit up a few years longer.

Yeah that type of striking training is detrimental when you start actually trying to learn how to strike to actually hurt someone. I'm sure he had a lot of bad habits starting out because of WWF/WWE.

brock had bad habits cause he wasnt a srtiker based fighter. he was a wrestler first than was able to ground and pound with his power.

brock had bad habits cause he wasnt a srtiker based fighter. he was a wrestler first than was able to ground and pound with his power.
True but his striking training before that was WWF/WWE style. So there will be bad habits from that. The way he swings and what he targets would be bad habits for actual striking.

He would have a much smaller house today…

Brock would have been a significantly better MMA fighter if he transitioned to MMA immediately after college wrestling instead of spending years in WWE/NFL, as well as his motorcycle accidents.
He would still be a star, though not of the same caliber as he is in reality. His WWE career really benefitted him. I learned of and got into MMA when I heard that Brock Lesnar was going into it back around ~2008.

Brock transitioned into the MMA in his 30's with little amount of skills or knowledge in Striking & BJJ.
Just had NCAA wrestling experience.

I wonder if he came to the UFC right after college & actually trained Striking & BJJ... could he have been much better?

If Brock started mma earlier, he wouldn’t have had the name recognition from WWE! He wouldn’t have had an opportunity to get a shortcut to the title either. He might’ve had to start at the bottom like most people and could’ve been ko’d long before any notoriety.

Brock transitioned into the MMA in his 30's with little amount of skills or knowledge in Striking & BJJ.
Just had NCAA wrestling experience.

I wonder if he came to the UFC right after college & actually trained Striking & BJJ... could he have been much better?

I think he could've been a bit better, but also I feel you can say that about most fighters. I think what Lesnar did was damn impressive in the short time he competed, but I never really got the idea that he'd be at the top very long -- very skilled for sure, but never really reacted to getting hit too well and didn't seem particularly durable. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and he didn't stay in the game super long, so I certainly do feel there is a possibility he could've done substantially more; too hard to tell. He was a champion and defended the belt, afterall.

Lesnar had actually been training for far longer than people realise, he was rich enough and famous enough that he didnt need to take buildup fights but he actually signed with FEG in early 2006.

Last edited:
He would have covered up and turtled in 2000 instead of 2010.

he took huge punches from the hardest hitting heavyweight Shane Carwin and still pulled out the win. His battle with diverticulitis is what ruined him as a fighter.

Back