What if BJJ/Judo did away with belts?

fourfif**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How would you all feel if BJJ/Judo just did away with belts altogether and functioned like wrestling?

Edit: Not saying anything is wrong with it.

This is not a bjj/judo bash thread, so please forgo your knee jerk defensive reaction and try to imagine a world without the complexities of numerous belts, and no longer equating belt color with a certain level of competency, but rather let the mat do the talking.

No more promotion politics, no more sand bagging.

Again, not a bash thread, it's a discussion thread.

Taking that into consideration, try to imagine it from a neutral perspective and discuss without misplaced defensiveness.

So the question is NOT whether you think it should happen or not, or whether you agree or disagree with a belt system, but rather,

1) what IMPACT would it make on the respective sports.

2) would the impact be negative or positive, in a practical sense (smoothly run tourneys with no sandbagging and no politics).

3) why?

Last edited:
non sense! this is total blasphemy.

I think it is time to start a witch hunt!

Nothing wrong with the belt system in BJJ.

What would we use to keep our jacket close?

rainbow-studded-belt.jpg

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

If we did away with rank, how would competitions run? Like nogi?

There are a FUCK of a lot more sandbaggers in NOGI than there are with the GI.

Also, what would the advanced division look like?

Xande, Marcelo, me, Roger, You etc...

Like wtf?

Its fine how it is.

They do not have a belt system in Sambo.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the belt system.

I think the problem is people expectations!

Even in Brasil, people just do not care much about it and do not think that every BJJ BB has to be World Champion or ex vale tudo fighter to be legit.

...a solid colored belt of no significance a la sambo, you aren't a red or blue rank...it's just a functional belt.

But then how is the instructor gonna make that extra income if we stop the belt system?

If we did away with rank, how would competitions run? Like nogi?

There are a FUCK of a lot more sandbaggers in NOGI than there are with the GI.

Also, what would the advanced division look like?

Xande, Marcelo, me, Roger, You etc...

Like wtf?

Its fine how it is.

Sambo and wrestling do just fine without belts.

Are you saying wrestling is all screwed up because we don't have belts?

Also, online belt testing would be a thing of the past.

...a solid colored belt of no significance a la sambo, you aren't a red or blue rank...it's just a functional belt.

didn't know that acutally!

this thread is already informative (at least for me)

Why is that?

I am sure Rener will still find another 30,000 students that wants a blue belt in the pure JJ!

Let people who run their businesses like that go the way of TMAs

th econcept of coloured belts was only introduced as an afterthought for the European market. i believe Karate and other arts then followed judos lead.

To Kano, people originally were either yudanhsa or mudansha (they either were or were not "black belts". Broadly speaking even though we and other arts have many coloured belts, they are all still fundamentally split between the Kyu and the dan grades, one is either a black belt or not, everything else is shades of grey (well, shades of the rainbow).

In arts such as wrestling or submission grappling or even MMA, one's position is simply determined by how good you are and the competition achievements you have. In fact you could probably expand it to any sport or art or skill, it just isn;t particularly necessary.

th econcept of coloured belts was only introduced as an afterthought for the European market. i believe Karate and other arts then followed judos lead.

To Kano, people originally were either yudanhsa or mudansha (they either were or were not "black belts". Broadly speaking even though we and other arts have many coloured belts, they are all still fundamentally split between the Kyu and the dan grades, one is either a black belt or not, everything else is shades of grey (well, shades of the rainbow).

In arts such as wrestling or submission grappling or even MMA, one's position is simply determined by how good you are and the competition achievements you have. In fact you could probably expand it to any sport or art or skill, it just isn;t particularly necessary.

aaaaand more Gold from J Sho.

you sir, are a 9th degree black belt grappling forum poster.

didn't know that acutally!
this thread is already informative (at least for me)

just for further educational purposes then, twisting footlocks, heel hooks and leglocks are forbidden in sambo competition (to dispel the popular misconception albeit some regional federations have different rule sets permitting them, e.g. the ASA in the US).

i think some sambo styles (maybe the ASA) do have belts, but generally the differentiation is based around your competition success and a suitable title is bestowed based on that (taken from wikipedia):

Third-Class Sportsman: city champion
Second-Class Sportsman: state champion
First-Class Sportsman: regional champion
Candidate for Master of Sports: nationally ranked player
Master of Sports: national champion
International Master of Sports: international champion
Distinguished Master of Sports: international champion with valuable contributions to the sport

it grab onto the belt for some sweeps and throws. it would be harder to grab my opponent if they had no belt :icon_cry2

It might not be broke, but it's definitely showing some cracks.

My school charges 50 dollars, and I think I'm just getting a few stripes at most. I don't wanna pay 50 bucks for some white tape wrapped around the sash of my belt =/
I disagree with paying for promotions all together, but that's another thing. I just want ot know if it is considered disrespectful to not show up to promotions.

Back