What I don't get about Jones: HW, Fedor, DC, wrestling technique related.

samsung51

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im no Jones fan but the way he nullified dc at his own game by fighting well in close and out wrestling him is something special.

It got me thinking. When Randy came back at about age 46 and beat Sylvia convincingly I was impressed, and figured that mix of dirty boxing and good wrestling did it for him.

He then went on to beat down Gonzaga who was looking very dangerous at the time and was bigger than Randy. He suffered a broken arm but fought through it and got the finish.

He then I think tried to leave the ufc and set up a bunch of promotional stuff with fedor, photos, training sessions together and what not. Fedor in all of these seemed a bit smaller than Randy but I think if they had fought Fedor would have destroyed Randy.

Anyway Randy came back against Brock and skill wise he seemed fine against him and Big Nog. He got the odd takedown, defended subs in the Nog fight and seemed like his skillset was decent enough to get it done but his chin was nothing like it was. He walked through Gonzaga head kicks with ease but Brock and Nog in particular dropped him with ease.

Anyway to get to the point, a body type and skill set like Randy and Fedor looked to be the way to take it to big hws, or tall lhw. For example DC came in and destroyed Bigfoot with ease where Fedor struggled badly, he then threw Barnett around easily for 25 minutes.

What is it that Jones has or does to that the guy DC who has what looked like the best out of Fedor/Randy successful attributes for fighting taller bigger opponents?

I realise the examples are a little older, but my TLDR is that DC seemed to have, gave done, and be/been perfect at against the type of fighters with a tall rangy or jonesesque physique? From what I saw DC seemed to struggle a lot with the takedowns because when he hit a single, Jones other leg was so long and sprawled out that he couldnt reach it. He also surprisingly seemed to not have that quick bear strength twist from double underhooks that some fighters display.

I aint no wrestler though, so decent replies appreciated.

just to get it out of the way mma math doesn't work, just used it with examples instead of saying olympic level wrestling, because mma wrestling seems to be pretty different.

Im starting to think that the only way to beat jones is for Rumble to go donkey kong on him at 100% until his cardio goes, even if its only a couple of minutes because i doubt he'll keep up with jones in the later rounds

Or

Gustafsson brutalizes him again, though if jones is serious like hes been saying and has already started training for Gus and isnt taking time off between fights anymore I think any element of surprise Gus had may be lost.

If Gus could dart in and out like Machida did in the first round he'd probably be able to put Jones away actually. Jones has a very good chin, but imagine Gus doing what Machida did, but actually really connecting because reach won't be a factor. Easier said than done though. Bones is a fucking stud.

Jones is simply a better fighter. He has a much more complete arsenal, he is stronger, faster and has better cardio.

To have the correct kind of body is not enough, you must have enough skills to beat him. Cormier is a very good fighter and did a very decent fight, but Jones is even better.

If Gus could dart in and out like Machida did in the first round he'd probably be able to put Jones away actually. Jones has a very good chin, but imagine Gus doing what Machida did, but actually really connecting because reach won't be a factor. Easier said than done though. Bones is a fucking stud.

Thats a good point, as gus finished manuwa finished a hard punch.

unfortunately gus seems to get into slugging it out wars, some of the things shogun hit him with would have cracked a rock, but it might have been that same willingness to brawl that let him nearly beat bones

Jones is simply a better fighter. He has a much more complete arsenal, he is stronger, faster and has better cardio.

To have the correct kind of body is not enough, you must have enough skills to beat him. Cormier is a very good fighter and did a very decent fight, but Jones is even better.

I think what Jones beat DC on is not just physical attributes or pure abilities, it can come down to the likelihood that he is simply a smart fighter when it comes to fighting and figuring the game and figuring out the opponent.

Not many people can watch opponent's tape and figure out a gameplan that works that nullifies his opponent's ability like he does. GSP is probably the only other champ/former champ in MMA that work the game so well (with a lot less flair as well compare to Jones).

Yes, his fight IQ is very high. His non fight IQ...not so much.

Back