What hypertrophy routine works for you?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Big Jack, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

I'm in the process of adding muscle mass, particularly on the upper body (Narrow shoulders, big legs, pear shaped guy). Without all the BS - what hypertrophy work gives you your best results? I have tried BBB in the past when I was on 5/3/1 and have tried running various other hypertrophy assistance programs but I've not had so much success.

I am running bill starrs power routine and having good results in the strength department currently, but debating whether to either have a day of squat, bench & deadlift strength work for strength maintenance and then 2 of upper body hypertrophy work. Good or stupid idea?

Thanks

2. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Eat more and have one or two high rep days.

Mainly eat more. Cant grow without calories.

3. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I'd guess this. 90% of the time people struggling to gain muscle is because they're eating at maintenence while thinking their like +800

4. Diablo Ryu**

Diablo Ryu** Brown Belt

Everyone saying eat more...you need more than a 5x5 for bodybuilding hypertrophy...

5. PUO3

Oh.

6. Babba

Babba Purple Belt

time is the most important factor. u cant do it over a short amount of time without using skittles. btw ur pear shaped body is your skeleton, its not possible to put that much muscle on to change it noticably unless you roid and go full retard with hypertrophy for years.

check out some posture articles and see if that helps

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

This is about muscle, not posture? By pear shaped all I mean is narrow shoulders and big legs and hips. By adding muscle up top, especially traps and shoulders, I can get a more solid rectangular shape.

8. lpaulgib

lpaulgib Blue Belt

Really? I saw my best physique gains after I started a 5x5 strength routine. It's perfectly fine for beginners and intermediates. After a while you should add things in.

9. Babba

Babba Purple Belt

odd body shape for a man but it does happen.

posture is more logical u might have weak posterior chain slouched shoulders inhibited muscles that causes a narrow upper body. or u might just have a narrow ribcage and narrow clavicles. realistically how many centimeters of muscle do u think u will add onto your shoulders? trapezius wont make you wider. perhaps having bodybuilder-esque lats will push out your arms and give an illusion, but we are all bound by the frame of our skeleton.

maybe youve got wide hips, or a fucking unusually long femur neck, who knows.. maybe its postural and uve got weak abducors and knees making it seem like ure wide down there.

wont help this much with muscle though, fat loss might work.

10. ManiacTroll

ManiacTroll Brown Belt

Sounds like you need to give lats and lateral delts special attention to look wider.

11. PUO3

Putting way too much thought into that. Eat more and do more reps. Thats it.

12. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Eat more and lift progressively heavier weights.

If your bodyweight is going up slowly but surely, and you are getting stronger.... what's most likely happening? You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one.

13. Diablo Ryu**

Diablo Ryu** Brown Belt

I think ive hit my max on all lifts...all down hill from here...no matter how much I eat

14. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

A) Stop over-analyzing "pear shaped". It's entirely normal for some guys to have more muscle mass to the legs and hips, especially if they're following a typical strength routine putting a lot of emphasis on squats and pulls.

B) Diet. A caloric surplus, enough protein. Limit fast digesting and refined carbs outside of before, after and during training, to limit fat gain.

C) Sufficient volume at sufficient intensity. Which means more volume than what you're currently doing. Which requires workouts to be a bit more focussed. It's harder to, say, get in a lot of pulling volume in an individual workout if you're also squatting and benching in the same workout.

15. Synapse

Synapse Blue Belt

Size is a lot easier to program than strength. Pick a muscle (group), do an exercise with a load <30% and <90% 1RM for however many reps it takes you to hit fatigue, then do that for 3 sets twice a week. Sleep enough, eat enough, don't train on an empty stomach and have a decent post workout meal. That's really all there is to it.

16. bowlie

bowlie Purple Belt

One bit of advice that I thinks makes sense is to just try and improve your 5rm. That will get you pretty big to a point. Although at some point if you want the bodybuilder look you have to follow a bodybuilder plan, but I think that a bodybuilding plan straight out of the gates wont help. Didnt help me when I was like... 15 or something. Id be intersted in the mechanism behind hypertrophy too... But my basic understanding at the moment is that the best way to get bigger is to increase the cross sectional area of muscle fibers, which correlates with an increase in force production, so its impossible to get bigger muscles without getting stronger. (apart from just swelling the muscles full of energy subtrates or some thing, which makes you look bigger rapidly, but then the size increase bottoms out pretty quick).

17. Synapse

Synapse Blue Belt

Since you asked for the mechanisms...

http://corpuscompendium.blogspot.com/2013/05/maximizing-hypertrophy-muscle-growth.html

18. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der Übermensch

/thread

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

Think I'm just going to do 1 day strength bench work + high rep chest and back, 1 day high rep shoulders, arms and core and then my day of heavy squats & deadlifts. That way I'm still getting the big 3 in terms of strength done, and a lot more upper body volume.

Also going to focus a lot more on a cleaner surplus. A few years back I was doing SS + GOMAD and I was at my strongest. I was also at my fattest. Now I'm an amateur fighter I don't want that fat creeping back in, so I'll keep the carbs well timed.

20. scandibro

scandibro White Belt

Overhead press and pullups should be stable. Supplement with lat delt raises. Do those exercises first in your training.