What HW's can learn from Bermane Stiverne

KennisTheMenace**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really liked how he controlled distance against Arreola with his upward jab tonight. It seemed like he was always moving backward the entire fight, despite the fact that he was the shorter man.

What I really want to drill is from their first fight, when Stiverne jabbed his body then threw that nose-breaking overhand right. They were replaying that over and over tonight. It was unique in that Stiverne's head was down by Arreola's stomach and as a result Arreola dropped his eyes and didn't even see that right hand.

What's a real bummer is that Henry Ramirez couldn't put together a game plan that kept Chris offline for the right hand. They knew going in that the right hand and the overhand right were the tools Bermane would try to set up. Why Chris wasn't drilled to death in the gym in regards to stepping off to his right to get himself away from that right hand, and to ready himself for the inevitable counter right hand and overhand is absurd to me. I hear good things about Ramirez, but I fail to see what he is doing that is helping Chris in any way.

It's like this whole camp was a fat camp for Chris, and that is bullshit. The strategy for dealing with Bermane was written after the first fight, all Chris had to do was stay disciplined throughout the fight.

Frustrating as hell, I freaking love Arreola.

I like Arreola too, but what bothers me is that something has always been off with his personal dedication when it comes to his diet. At the end of the fight he said something to the effect of he'll need to start taking things seriously, no more cervezas. I looked at the screen in disbelief, like motherfucker it's the HW championship why are you still drinking beer? Elite level pro with an amateur's approach to diet.

Back