What has Machida done in past fights to become favorite over Weidman

The question is straightforward. Weidman has not lost a single round against Anderson Silva. Machida squeeeeeaked by Mousasi and spent most of the fight moving bqackward. How can Sherdoggers be so loyal to one fighter that even when he underperforms (such as against Phil and Gegard) they desperately cling to the belief that their favorite will finally put on an exciting performance that will redeem the past mistakes. I fully understand liking who you like, and wanting that person to win, but to make predictions like (Machida will tko Weidman) when there is no evidence that such a thing would or could happen....Please help me understand the nuthuggery!

The answer is pretty straightforward, as well -

#1 - He is not the favorite, though many think he can beat Weidman.

#2 - He did not squeeeak by Gegard. He thoroughly controlled that fight, pouring on more and more as it continued.

#3 - He did not underperform against Davis. That was a poor decision. That was a LHW.

#4 - Since coming down to MW, and not worrying about a size disadvantage, and with the additional conditioning under his belt to be a MW, he has been much more offensive in his fighting. As the rounds go on, he has picked up the pace and increased his output. The fact that you claim he fought the Mousasi fight "going backward" basically identifies you as clueless.

#5 - What did Weidman do to deserve so many Sherdoggers picking him to topple the great Anderson Silva? Much less than Machida has, and yet, he had the right skill set to do it.

This makes for a very interesting fight, any way you slice it. Anyone pretending that one or the other holds some huge advantage is engaging in nut-huggery, not just the Machida fans.

Welcome to the Machida ERROR! :icon_lol: I've got Weidman by obliteration (already got a sig bet going). Machida has been taken down by a ton of his opponents, including guys like Rampage (who forgot how to wrestle since Pride) and Hendo (who hasn't competed in wrestling in 14 years and it's been 18 since he was a Greco Olympian). Weidman's MMA wrestling and overall grappling is far, far above those two.

I can foresee Machida getting touched early by Weidman and he'll crumble under his power. He'll still have to be wary of the TD whether Weidman can actually take him down or not (which I'm sure he will). He knows that he doesn't want to be on the ground with him so he'll have to avoid it like the plague while avoiding getting KTFO'd on the feet at the same time. Machida is far more hittable than his fans pretend. Mousasi was decking him in his last fight with shots that shouldn't have landed (coming from a Mousasi fan, check the sig). He leaves himself open far too much regardless of him baiting his opponents into counters. This will cost him against Weidman.

Last edited:
Hardly made Shogun, Jones and Davis look bad when he lost to them

-He made Shogun look less-than-stellar because Shogun didn't demolish him as The Machida Haters Society envisioned.

-Jones broke Machida and destroyed him...only a fool will deny that!

-Davis? Seriously, Brah?

If you have to ask TS, you're just being a hater. Even if you don't like Machida you have to be able to admit you can see what threats he brings to the table against Weidman.

And as said, he's not even the favorite in this fight.

Welcome to the Machida ERROR! :icon_lol: I've got Weidman by obliteration (already got a sig bet going). Machida has been taken down by a ton of his opponents, including guys like Rampage (who forgot how to wrestle since Pride) and Hendo (who hasn't competed in wrestling in 14 years and it's been 18 since he was a Greco Olympian).
What type of takedowns though? If they were clinch, that's not as big of a concern, seems like Weidman mostly shoots on his takedowns. Machida keep so much distance also, won't be easy.

-He made Shogun look less-than-stellar because Shogun didn't demolish him as The Machida Haters Society envisioned.

-Jones broke Machida and destroyed him...only a fool will deny that!

-Davis? Seriously, Brah?

1. Machid era

3. Machida was expected to beat Davis without a struggle

Go away

Welcome to the Machida ERROR! :icon_lol: I've got Weidman by obliteration (already got a sig bet going). Machida has been taken down by a ton of his opponents, including guys like Rampage (who forgot how to wrestle since Pride) and Hendo (who hasn't competed in wrestling in 14 years and it's been 18 since he was a Greco Olympian). Weidman's MMA wrestling and overall grappling is far, far above those two.

I can foresee Machida getting touched early by Weidman and he'll crumble under his power. He'll still have to be wary of the TD whether Weidman can actually take him down or not (which I'm sure he will). He knows that he doesn't want to be on the ground with him so he'll have to avoid it like the plague while avoiding getting KTFO'd on the feet at the same time. Machida is far more hittable than his fans pretend. Mousasi was decking him in his last fight with shots that shouldn't have landed (coming from a Mousasi fan, check the sig). He leaves himself open far too much regardless of him baiting his opponents into counters. This will cost him against Weidman.

Mousasi STILL had trouble landing on Machida, the shots he landed were nice, but that is because The Moose is a FANTASTIC boxer.
Mousasi, Machida, and Belfort are probably the best strikers in MW and Machida owned the range vs Mousasi, giving him freedom to land any strikes he wanted.

The Chris, while being a great fighter in his own respect, simply isnt nimble enough to catch Machida IMO, especially early in the fight when Machida is fresh and alert.

I have a Machida TKO in about the 3rd-4th round. But I think Weidman could pull off a sub if he can get Machida down.

I can't tell what's trolling on this thread and what is serious points- on both sides of the argument.

Either way, there are plenty enough weight classes with wrestlers are champions for my liking. War Machida.

If you have to ask TS, you're just being a hater. Even if you don't like Machida you have to be able to admit you can see what threats he brings to the table against Weidman.

booyah.jpg

yeah, i wouldn't insist he should be the favorite against weidman, but he's a tough opponent who does well against basically everyone.

If it wasn't for his tendency to hang back too much and let fighters rack up points against him through aimless activity I'd feel confident betting on Machida. The problem he has is Chris is good enough to project himself and move forward preventing most of Machida's offense and he'll win rounds doing so if/when Machida lets him.

If Machida comes out more aggressive and doesn't leave his chin hanging out I think he has more than enough tools to beat Chris, but the memories of Rampage and Davis still make he hesitant to think he's going to win.

What type of takedowns though? If they were clinch, that's not as big of a concern, seems like Weidman mostly shoots on his takedowns. Machida keep so much distance also, won't be easy.

Weidman has hit all kinds of clinch TD's and TD's from the outside (by shooting in and even not shooting at all at times) in his MMA career. He's tossed guys like Tom Lawlor around (who is an accomplished wrestler himself). He's shot beautiful high-c's, singles and doubles and made them work against every opponent he's fought, including a snatch-single leg against Anderson in their rematch (which he didn't actually shoot in for at all). Weidman has awesome clinch TD's (throws and trips). When he shoots at times he'll also trip his opponent to the mat while driving them back in order to land in side control like he did against Sakara in his UFC debut. That's extremely intelligent and almost no other fighter I can think of thinks about where their position will be when they touch down before they even go for the takedown.

Agreed, Weidman is one of my fave fighters, and I love his striking, but let's be honest, this is about the worst matchup for him.

If it wasn't for his tendency to hang back too much and let fighters rack up points against him through aimless activity I'd feel confident betting on Machida. The problem he has is Chris is good enough to project himself and move forward preventing most of Machida's offense and he'll win rounds doing so if/when Machida lets him.

If Machida comes out more aggressive and doesn't leave his chin hanging out I think he has more than enough tools to beat Chris, but the memories of Rampage and Davis still make he hesitant to think he's going to win.

yeah, there's a fine line between elusiveness and passivity.

Weidman has hit all kinds of clinch TD's and TD's from the outside (by shooting in and even not shooting at all at times) in his MMA career. He's tossed guys like Tom Lawlor around (who is an accomplished wrestler himself). He's shot beautiful high-c's, singles and doubles and made them work against every opponent he's fought, including a snatch-single leg against Anderson in their rematch (which he didn't actually shoot in for at all). Weidman has awesome clinch TD's (throws and trips). When he shoots at times he'll also trip his opponent to the mat while driving them back in order to land in side control like he did against Sakara in his UFC debut. That's extremely intelligent and almost no other fighter I can think of thinks about where their position will be when they touch down before they even go for the takedown.

All this wrestling experience should be very comforting when he's wrestling with his emotions after losing the strap!

Nice post, this will be a sick fight. Weidman hasn't rly fought a fighter like Machida, looking forward to seeing how he deals with such a big guy with elusiveness and great takedown D.

yeah, there's a fine line between elusiveness and passivity.

It's Mixed Martial Arts...Machida employs Karate heavily.

You're being no different than those who get upset with fighters who blanket their opponent en route to a victory.

-Lay off it, Mate! Rogan was the only person to blurt out that phrase!

-Says who?

-That's not nice.

Machida was this unbeatable fighter until he ran into Shogun. Shogun made him look average twice. How Shogun suppose to have looked bad in either fight I don't know

If you were around when Machida fought Davis most on here were picking him to win easily. Machida made Davis look good. Rashad and Rumble Johnson dominated him.

Back