What has been your motivation?

braege

White Belt
Reaction score
For all of you out there that participate in some sort of combat sport, whether it be tournament bjj, boxing, mma, whatever... what got you started?

What in your life drove you to find a school, train, and ultimately step into competition?

Not only that, but what has continued to drive you as time went on?

Just curious to see how others started and what they use to keep them going strong. Thanks.

Fitness and fun: I started in a striking style in 1999, then gradually moved over to grappling after getting geeky on the internet in 2002, finally making it to a BJJ class in Nov 2006. Long version of my martial arts background here.

My motivation is improving technique, staying fit, and the social connections I've made through the club. Writing a blog has definitely helped with that, as it means I can pinpoint what I need to work on next lesson.

i need training to be dynamic the whole day, if i stop, ill get lazy in college and every other part in life, besides that bjj is fun as hell and you ever have that desire to emprove

I transitioned from wrestling to bjj so its pretty much just fun and instinct. i accomplished everything i wanted to as a wrestler so now i just want to stay in shape and have fun

For all of you out there that participate in some sort of combat sport, whether it be tournament bjj, boxing, mma, whatever... what got you started?

What in your life drove you to find a school, train, and ultimately step into competition?

Not only that, but what has continued to drive you as time went on?

Just curious to see how others started and what they use to keep them going strong. Thanks.

I just like to beat people up. Doesn't everyone? Otherwise why not take up tennis?

I don't really know what motivated me. I was a fan of UFC and my friend in college told me about Balance Studios for BJJ in Philly. I figured it was a good start to get into MMA. I went and now the motivation is just to get good and stay in shape. It's easy to be motivated too since it's fun.

I don't really know what motivated me. I was a fan of UFC and my friend in college told me about Balance Studios for BJJ in Philly. I figured it was a good start to get into MMA. I went and now the motivation is just to get good and stay in shape. It's easy to be motivated too since it's fun.

BJJ is cool. Also, I get drunk with power knowing that I can kill or maim someone with my bare hands.

Conditioning, strength of the mind and body, the constant learning process, to accomplish great tasks after much distress, the challenges, the techniques, the flow, the release of frustrations, the self-discipline, pushing past my previous limitations, and always having fun... whether I am watching, participating, or teaching new people.

I guess the reason that I started was that I was a fan of the UFC and I always found the ground game to be the most interesting part. I wanted to learn more about BJJ so I finally started researching schools in my area. I keep going because its a good workout, its a lot of fun, and I like the challenge.

my motivation was simple...........

stop being a fucking pussy!!!!!!!

i used to be hard( tough) as shit and used toreadily fight anybody............. then somthing in me changed... i became a peace loving pussy!

straight up...i started dj ing in clubs started taking x and having a wild time and i some how lost my balls....

i had no agession no on switch no nothing.

i decided after years of watching MMMa BJJ would me me best possible outlet>

low and behold i'm about to enter my first tourniment i couldn't be happier!

After my grandfather passed away a few years ago, we found his autobiography. I found out he had trained Judo when he was younger and that motivated me to get into grappling.

There were / are no Judo schools anywhere in my area, but I found a BJJ school nearby and signed up.

That was my original motivation. After I started, the idea of improved conditioning, self defense, etc. became additional motivators.

Now my goal is to be great instructor one day. I've always loved teaching and working with kids. Both of my kids train and there's nothing more rewarding in the world than to invest time in a child's life and see them grow and progress.

After my grandfather passed away a few years ago, we found his autobiography. I found out he had trained Judo when he was younger and that motivated me to get into grappling.

There were / are no Judo schools anywhere in my area, but I found a BJJ school nearby and signed up.

That was my original motivation. After I started, the idea of improved conditioning, self defense, etc. became additional motivators.

Now my goal is to be great instructor one day. I've always loved teaching and working with kids. Both of my kids train and there's nothing more rewarding in the world than to invest time in a child's life and see them grow and progress.

that's pretty awesome. i kinda have a similary story. my grandfather died when my father was still a kid. i never knew much about him and when i finally visited my family in the philippines i was surprised to hear that he was a pretty respected escrimador.

winning a medal at a major tournament.

and improving my game in any way that i can.

I'm motivated because if I don't work out I have health problems that act up, and I enjoy the mental aspect of BJJ. I am even more motivated now that I'm working with the group I am. I am motivated to see them get better, and to catch the higher belts in our club in both technique and teaching ability.

I only wrestle in high school but i love competing and winning and i love grappling. Also being in great shape is really a confidence booster.

Back