What happens after your black belt?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Oliver Geddes, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Oliver Geddes

Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

This is aimed more at the senior ranking members of the forum, but all opinions are welcome!

Simple enough...what do you aim to do after you receive your black belt?

Do you want to keep on training for the worlds and the pans and other internationals, knowing that you're probably going to have to train all day every day for at least a couple of years to catch up with the guys who are the best in the world, and maybe you never will? You aren't going to be building a team anytime soon this way, but your BJJ will hit a peak that you'll never be likely to reach any other way.

Do you want to move into MMA, learning other games and adapting your BJJ for a different environment? This way, at least, you will be able to see the progression much more clearly, rather than the inching progress of fine-tuning your already-established jiujitsu game. But maybe your BJJ game will never take for MMA. It's happened many times, and maybe the MMA conversion could hurt your possible progression in your jiujitsu.

Do you want to teach straight away? Start your own school and put the years ahead of you into building a team? You're already good enough at jiujitsu, and you'll get better whilst you're teaching and training day in and day out. You'll probably never make it to being world class this way, but that's not what matters to you, you just want to see your students progress and win their own set of medals.

Or something else?

Faintly curious what people's plans are.

Let's have it, guys!

Take care,

Oli

2. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

Man, you just do what you always do. My goals never changed - I just wanted to keep training and progressing, with the odd competition.

I reckon if you are a competitor, you want to keep competing, if you do MMA you want to keep moving forward with that. The belt is fairly incidental, although it seems monumental when you are at the lower levels.

3. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Oli, I'm not a black belt and obviously don't have anything to contribute in terms of forward thinking, but given how much you personally compete and love it... do you think you'll ever be able to stop?

4. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Can't start a thread asking a question and not answer it yourself. You are not that far from becoming a black belt, what are you planning to do?

Personally I am going to keep competing until my body gives out. I am 33 now and realistically can't get a black belt until I am 37 or 38, heck may be even a little later. I will never be able to make any noise at the adult black belt level, but being competitive and possibly placing in the master's division in not completely unrealistic just a long shot. I will definately enter the Mundials at the adult level though just for the experience and hey pulling off one win against someone good is not impossible.

5. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

I'm only a 4-year blue belt. So, I'm as far off from black belt as can be, but my passion has always been teaching. I volunteer as a math tutor for kids for free, served as a children's pastor for years, and I teach our kids jiu-jitsu class now.

I only compete once or twice a year as it is, but I love learning and helping other people learn. So, when that day comes many years from now, I imagine that I'll just put more focus on teaching.

6. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

I've already been instructing for a couple of years now but when I get my black belt I'll actually have my own school instead of teaching at other peoples schools all the time.

In addition I'm going to do my best to spread BJJ to as many people as I can.

7. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

I will probably teach. Teaching MA is one of my retirement plans. I can retire reasonably early (45 w/ a good pension, 55 with a full pension) so I will still be young enough to roll and enjoy it. But I will do it BB or not because I will probably go another route besides pure BJJ. I would still like to get it though. I think 15-20 years ought to just about do it. :D

8. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I'm 3 years away from black belt at best.

For as long as I have been doing BJJ I have wanted to get a black belt and start a free program in my home town. It is a small suburb 80 miles away from the biggest city. Lots of TMA's, but no grappling of anykind except the hand shake self-defense techniques taught at the local Tang-do-maga school.

As a black belt I want everyone to get exposed to grappling. I honestly believe that this knowledge is something that everyone who has a slight interest in physical activity, should know.

9. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

I would like to train for the big ibjjf tournaments, see how I do, Ill be able to train full time most likely. While doing so I would continue to teach, I help teach the kids classes now, and its awesome (We just had promotions today lol). And after doing some jiu jitsu tournaments depending on the results transition into MMA.

10. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

black belt is the real beginning of your training, i wouldnt overthink it, just like jiu jitsu, you cant anticipate what u r going to do, just do what feels right when you get there

for me i see myself teaching part time for extra cash but i will always train to get better because i love jiu jitsu and i want to be a better person all around

11. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Well Oli,

If I ever get my black belt I would really like to compete at the worlds. In 3 (estimated time to black) years I'll be 46. How cool would it be if I go against your instructor??? Roger would be in my division!!! I've met him before. Nice guy. I don't think he would hurt me on purpose.

I don't have much interest in getting smashed in Brown Adult. I'd rather wait and get smashed at Black.

World's would probably be a one time deal for me. Not too many people can say they competed at the highest level.

I might have my own school. I might not. I love where I live. I love my job. I won't quit teaching. Cesar might be opening a bigger school in the next town over. We might start a local school that focuses on kids, women, families, and business people. Our main school would only be about 10 miles away.

We'll see...I never really thought I would be in this position. I thought I would be a blue belt for life.

12. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

I've been teaching basic classes for a year now, as a blue and now purple. I plan to continue to do so; whether on my own or with my team really depends on the business side of things.
    I compete frequently. I believe it improves my all-around game, and I enjoy it more and more with each tournament. I would like to get a little vale tudo in there, to test myself in that environment.
    If I do end up opening my own spot, I would prefer to keep it at a size that doesn't compromise my own training or my attention to individual students. I'd rather have a small pack than a meandering herd.

13. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

If I stay in the same town of my team, I will teach for my master. no point creating another team. Maybe create a part time club and be a feeder group. but it might not be worth it.

if I move out of town, then I will create an affiliation.

14. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

When I get my black belt I want to open my own BJJ academy in a city that doesn't have one yet. In China.

15. ramzie4718

ramzie4718 Blue Belt

Saulo Ribeiro: "Everybody thinks, oh I wanna get my blackbelt. But when you get your blackbelt its really just the start. Then your search is gonna be looking into yourself and try to become a better person."

16. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

and apparently there's just so much more to learn... I've heard a blackbelt say "I'm a bluebelt as far as blackbelts are concerned" (meaning that he was that far behind other blackbelts in terms of knowledge and ability. And another saying "black belt is when you really start to learn" (don't think he was specifically talking about being a better person as Saulo mentions. I've also heard people say they never want to get their black belt because they'll just lose the drive.

17. Victa***

Victa*** iCare

I'm a white belt, so my plans could change, but my goal is to get to BB and have a gym of my own.

18. Epyon

Epyon Green Belt

27 yr old whitebelt.

Hoping to hit black before 40, and pass the knowledge down to my kids, if/when I have them, and then possibly teach as a side job/retirement income later on in life.

19. Epyon

Epyon Green Belt

Since I already double posted, I'll add some words of wisdom to ths thread.

"Sometimes the journey is better than the destination"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

somehow, that is just feaking wrong.

maybe in Brasil, you get your BB really fast.

but otherwise, once you spent 10 years on the mats earning that BJJ BB, the search is already over.