What Happened with Freddie Roach?

Bad Romance

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember several years ago a few notable fighters took to training their boxing with Freddie Roach. If I remember correctly it was Arlovski, Tito, Shogun, Mir and Anderson. At the time I thought he was going to be the next superstar trainer given how many notable fighters were willing to work with him. Fast forward a few years and currently I haven't heard anything about him in regards to mma. Are mixed martial artists still training with him or did they find his boxing style ineffective for mma? I ask because most of those fighters I listed fell off around or shortly after Freddie's tutelage.

Does Sherdog respect Freddie Roach?

He was one of the guys who said Anderson lost the first Weidman fight because he was messing around.
The experts on Sherdog say it's because Anderson was desperate and had nothing for Weidman.
Just trying to clear up the differences of opinion.

Wow that's kind of a drop off. From Anderson, Shogun and GSP to Rory. LOL.

Manny Pacquiao makes more than all of them combined; in fact Manny has probably made more in one fight then all of them combined in their entire careers.

hes probably expensive and hes probably busy with boxing

Manny Pacquiao makes more than all of them combined; in fact Manny has probably made more in one fight then all of them combined in their entire careers.

so what

Well he has worked with Manny prior to working with those guys, so it's not like Freddie replaced Pac Man with mma fighters.

Freddie Roach is basically the Rafael Cordeiro of boxing. He emphasizes aggression and offense in his fighters. That kind of style doesn't suit all

He specializes on competitive boxing, to strike well in MMA you need a coach who understands MMA striking and MMA in general.

I don't say Freddie is like that, but the kind of strict boxing coaches that think pure boxing is the only legit martial art in the world are the worst when you try to "supplement" your art with some boxing skills.

Freddie Roach is one of the best trainers in boxing. He knows boxing. MMA fighters go to Freddie Roach to work on their boxing, nothing more.

Therefore, I do not believe Freddie Roach was ever, or ever will be touted as the "next big MMA coach" out there.

Also let's not forget his Parkinson's, he probably isn't taking on as many clients as he used to.

None of those guys did actual camps with him(as he doesn't run an MMA gym), I believe it was just a few training sessions.

Back