What Happened to You on Your Low-Carb Diet?

I remember watching Dr Andrew Wiel (a doctor who writes holistic medicine books) on a television program when the Atkins diet was at it's peak and a women called in asking about her bad body odor. She had said that her husband refused to sleep in the same bed as her or kiss her because she was omiting a strange body odor since she started Atkins. she said she was using mouthwash and brushing her teeth 10 times a day and her husband was still complaining about the smell. That alone should be enough to stop anyone from going on Atkins.

I remember watching Dr Andrew Wiel (a doctor who writes holistic medicine books) on a television program when the Atkins diet was at it's peak and a women called in asking about her bad body odor. She had said that her husband refused to sleep in the same bed as her or kiss her because she was omiting a strange body odor since she started Atkins. she said she was using mouthwash and brushing her teeth 10 times a day and her husband was still complaining about the smell. That alone should be enough to stop anyone from going on Atkins.

She must have never heard of Cholorofresh.

That was probably due to the ketones being released by her body.

But that's strange. Ketosis is supposed to make your breath smell like apple sauce.

Lubaolong said:
I drink Optimum 100% Whey Protein. It was rated supplement of the year and protein powder of the year by bodybuilding.com It has 3g carbs. Is that not good a good powder?
FightSong summed it up.

You can read on this at Berardi's site or T-Nation, but UT-Austin, McMasters, and others have done a lot of research showing improved performance pre, during, and PWO by combining high-gly carbs with protein.

I also have PDF's, but they're on my hard drive.

I wasn't doing it to lose weight, I was doing it to get bigger.

I gained 20lbs of muscle, bodyfat stayed the same, and I was one cranky son of a bitch.

Umm i tried it yesterday and I made it 12 hours lol Running hills on no carbs kicked my ass. Thumbs down for low carb diet.

My MMA coach put me on the paleo diet when I told him I wanted to start competing.
Basically Palio is no grains, dairy, processed sugar, or legumes.
The first three weeks was hell. I ran out of energy and felt like I was in a funk. Then I started getting my energy back and feel great now after being on it for roughly 4 months and can't even think about going back to eating the old way.
My goal is to maintain 85% Paleo and I think most weeks I succed at this.
After reading the research behind the Paleo diet, and the negative things they are finding about a diet high in grains, I will probably stay like this for a long time.

Bry

Bry said:
My MMA coach put me on the paleo diet when I told him I wanted to start competing.
The first three weeks was hell. I ran out of energy and felt like I was in a funk. Then I started getting my energy back and feel great now after being on it for roughly 4 months and can't even think about going back to eating the old way.
After reading the research behind the Paleo diet, and the negative things they are finding about a diet high in grains, I will probably stay like this for a long time.

Bry
So do you supplement calcium?

Bry said:

Bry
Someone posted the Paleo Diet before. It's reasonable, but could be better.

No dairy...a bit nazi. I understand no milk dues to its insulinogenic properties, but many other dairy foods are healthful (low-fat cottage cheese or skim cheese, yogurt).

No grains...Precision Nutrition also advises against grains anytime except PWO.

No legumes...if you're not allergic to legumes, then there's no reason not to eat them.

No processed sugar...fantastic. This would be a superb habit to add to any diet. But again, in the PWO window, sugars are desirable.

There is alot of research supporting the thought of paleodiet, studies showing what processed foods do to our bodies, I am sorry but i dont have them here but if u wanna read them I can try to find them. A good website is www.realmilk.com.

I read at Art De Vanys website that the body can stora a maximum of 600g of carbs, as glycogen that is, and if u are totally depleted it only takes 600g carbs to fill it up to the maximum.

Tried it, lost weight , put it back on (about a year and a half ago..) Now my weight drops and currently at 178 pounds, but i do gym and karate plus squash :p

uno_sky

I don't supplement calcium. According to the paleo thought, the reason that bone demineralization occurs isn't just about calcium intake but also about calcium balance.
Take break it down it is more about acid/base balance in the body. If you are in net acid load, then your body will pulls calcium out of your bones to bring it back into balance.
Example of acid producing foods: meat, grains, dairy, and eggs
Examples of alkaline producing foods: fruits, and vegtibles
Hence if your diet is mainly fruits and vegtibles, with meat, you will stay in balance, and you don't need as much calcium as Americans intake.
You can find more info here: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/acid.shtml

Madmick

From my limited understanding there is another reason why dairy is out, mainly that most dairy cows are feed mainly grain based diets. This makes the milk less healthy then say if they are grass feed. I will try and find better info on the dairy.

Bry

From my limited understanding there is another reason why dairy is out, mainly that most dairy cows are feed mainly grain based diets. This makes the milk less healthy then say if they are grass feed. I will try and find better info on the dairy.

Grass-fed dairy products are easy to get. Expensive, but easy.

Yea unfortunately we don't have the grass feed milk at our grocery store.
I do buy organic milk for the kids but it just gurantees no steroids and such.
Since I have been on the Paleo diet, my monthly grocery bill went from $600 a month to over $800 a month.

Bry

When it comes to getting enough carbs and glucose PWO, is adding milk, frozen fruit, and nonfat vanilla yogurt to your PWO protein shake enough to get the job done?

[QUOTE="I can't do a 1200 pound squat, but I can do a 1200 pound negative... explosively!"[/QUOTE]

Lol

Love your sig. I can almost hear the knees hit the chin from here.

vonanaka said:
P
I eat more fat (especially fat from animals, pork is my best friend) than I have ever done before, and training for me is working like a charm.

What kind of training? Do you lift weights, or train MA, or run?

Just curious, different energy systems require different energy(nutrients).

Lubaolong said:
I read today most of the big triathelete and Olympic camps up around Colorado Springs are turning to fat loading versus carbo-loading because the burn is more efficient and predictable. Once they become adapted to eating that way, their endurance is better so they say.

Could this be because triatheletes are mostly aerobic athletes, and aerobic activity primarily uses fat as fuel?

Also they are, generally speaking, ectomorphs, and maybe genetically predisposed to burn fat more effciently?

I could be WAY off base here. I really don't know a damn thing about triathalons, let alone the nutritional requirements for performing well in them.

Back