What happened to the World Cup vs Olympics thread on here?

I would think that the Olympics win this since there is still soccer in the olympics so you're still appeasing the soccer fans but giving fans of basketball, hockey and other sports their fill also.

I would think that the Olympics win this since there is still soccer in the olympics so you're still appeasing the soccer fans but giving fans of basketball, hockey and other sports their fill also.

Nobody cares about Football in the Olympics. It is not relevant at all.

Too many cans were picking the World Cup and using FIFA's bullshit viewership numbers as proof

The only cans here are people who actually watch crappy sports from the Olympics.

That thread and the eurovision thread were both decent, both got deleted.

According to FIFA the South Africa 2010 final was watched by 187 million people.

On the other hand, the London 2012 Olympic Games inauguration had approximately 900 million viewers worldwide.

That's a really bad comparison. Even taking those numbers at face value (which I don't, It's absurd that only 187 million watched the World Cup), you're comparing the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, which are always the most watched part of the event (and in the vast majority of cases the only part people actually watch) with the whole of the World Cup.

All I could find was FIFA which said:

"Total broadcast hours: 71,867

Total territories reached: 214

Total in-home audience reach
(20+ consecutive minutes): 2.2 billion

Total in-home audience reach (1+ minute): 3.2 billion

Average global in-home audience per live match: 188.4 million

Highest global in-home average audience
(2010 FWC South Africa final): 530.9 million

2010 FWC South Africa final match
In-home audience reach
(20+ consecutive minutes): 619.7 million

2010 FWC South Africa final match
In-home audience reach (1+ minute): 909.6 million"

But, can you trust FIFA's numbers when they've admitted to exaggerating numbers and guessing? http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...on-tv-viewers-was-a-quarter-right-438302.html

"According to Initiative Sports Futures, independent analysts with no ties to Fifa, the figure for the 2006 final was 260 million in the 54 key markets it surveyed, accounting for 90 per cent of the world's TV households."

It could have about 300-400 million viewers.

Back