What happened to the old Hendricks?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I remember when Johnny was one of those guys that you just waited for the knockout to come now it seems like he plays it way too safe. I'm pretty sure in this fight he's going to try to take it to the ground the whole fight a lot like the Brown fight and Brown is probably less of a threat in the stand up and relieves on volume rather then technique and KO power.

I never thought of Hendricks as a KO guy to me he was more of a can't wait for this to be over kind of guy.

He had to fight Lawler and Condit. 18 rounds, no KO. He was gassing, badly.

He decided to play it safe, to keep his cardio up.

So now it's just his 'face in the balls' strategy for the entire fight.

The old days when he was split decisioning Mike Pierce and Josh Koscheck?

He's not exactly fighting Kampmann or Waldburger any more.

I never thought of Hendricks as a KO guy
I don't know, he's ko'd a few guys in brutal fashion. His left had is like a stick of dynamite..

johny-hendricks-ko-walburger.gif

knockout-11-17-12.gif

tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Did we watch the same fights...?

Probably elite competition, like top 5. Also opponents get wise to ya once its known youre this or that.

Same fighter, but now his opponents know about his kill shot and so they defend better.

Not too many stoppage losses on Lawler's, Condit's, GSP's, and Brown's records. His striking has actually progressed during this period of time to the point where he was clearly outstriking Robbie Lawler in the middle rounds of their rematch before gassing terribly. Also, his fight with Condit, his fight with GSP, and his first fight with Lawler were all very good fights. It's not as if we're getting shit fight after shit fight, here.

I never thought of Hendricks as a KO guy to me he was more of a can't wait for this to be over kind of guy.
This. It's bc he knocked Fitch out people started praising him and reality he was never an exciting ko artist. He ko knampman too thay was impressive I'll give him that.

Edit: his last ko was actually knampman 4 years ago.

26948760-9d136773028aca6b5f1f93c54b3967c4.gif

Hendo and Hendricks both have devastating KO power, but had a lot of boring fights in their careers. Neither guy has the tank to last the distance throwing bombs, so they fall back on their wrestling.

Better competition means less stoppages

I don't know. I hope we don't see that pin and pray crap tonight, although I fear we do.

5 round fights means u cant go all out cuz if u dont get the ko u will have a rough time

Its a catch 22 he could of ended up like Roy Nelson and just spammed the punch and forgot about his other skills (ive just guaranteed Roy winning by flying armbar or some shit now)

Same as what happen to Aldo. They get the belt and they realize they wanna play completely safe

Back