What happened to the Instructional video review thread??

USAMMAFAN

Proud member of the "Reality based community"
Reaction score
I think the thread starter was milkman dan or something, I cant find that thread?

search forum- it just disaperared never to be seen again like milkman dan who created it

The mods said people were using it to bootleg vids, so they suspended it. I don't know why they didn't just remove the violatory posts, but they never did.

Madmick said:
The mods said people were using it to bootleg vids, so they suspended it. I don't know why they didn't just remove the violatory posts, but they never did.

what - when- the thread was ment tohelp those decide which were the best.

a small minority spoiling it for the majority of decent sherdoggers

Yeah pretty ghey, it was a decent list, maybee some of powers that be didnt like some of reviews (like vidoes that sell on sherdog) and had the mods swipe it.

I dont know.

USAMMAFAN said:
I think the thread starter was milkman dan or something, I cant find that thread?

What type of instructional are you after?

Sherdoggers more or less agreed on these as the cream of the crop:

MMA:
Bas Rutten's Big DVD's of Combat (7 DVD's)
Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo Series #1, #2 & #3 (18 DVD's)

Muay Thai:
Rob Kaman's Muay Thai Kickboxing (8 DVD)
Vut Kamnark's Muay Thai Boxing (4 VHS)

BJJ(No Gi)/Submission Grappling:
Mario Sperry's Submission Grappling (6 DVD)
Saulo Ribeiro's Freestyle Revolution (6 DVD)
Marcelo Garcia's Winning Techniques of Submission Grapplings (6 DVD)

Takedowns:
Kevin Jackson & Mike Van Arsdale's Ultimate Takedowns (6 VHS)
Darrel Gholar's Vale Tudo Takedowns (2 DVD)
Darrel Gholar's Ultimate Wrestling (DVD)
Darrel Gholar's Ultimate Throws for Vale Tudo (DVD)

Hope that helps.

I have the Darrell Gholar Takedowns DVD, good stuff.

I have Rob Kaman's set, which is awesome. I remember hearing somewhere that he was coming out with a new set.

I've been watching the Joe Moreira instructionals. Dated stuff but still OK. The biggest issue with his series is his heavy accent, which isn't that big of a problem IMO.

Global Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Workshop from Green Whale Productions is very cool, but I probably won't be trying some of the things on there until I feel that I'm at an intermediate level, if I ever get there.

Bas' set is the most complete for MMA.

Along with the reasons already mentioned, I think some of the comments may have bordered on fighter bashing and that may have also contributed to the thread getting canned, then again I could be wrong.

MMA:
Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo Series #1, #2, & #3 (18 DVD's)

Muay Thai:

Takedowns:

I'd add Saulo Ribeiro: Jiujitsu Revolution, Marcelo Garcia's Winning Techniques of Submission Grappling, Vut Kamnark: Muay Thai Boxing and both Gholar sets, Ultimate Wrestling and Vale Tudo Takedowns to that list. I've also heard good things about Dan Gable's Wrestling Essentials set.

Madmick said:
What type of instructional are you after?

Sherdoggers more or less agreed on these as the cream of the crop:

MMA:
Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo Series #1, #2, & #3 (18 DVD's)

Muay Thai:

Takedowns:

Hope that helps.

thanks

didnt that thread also mention something about Matt Thornton's Functional Jeet Kune Do Series 1 & 2 for MMA, how do these rate compared to sperry's and bas's?

Anyone with info on Matt Thortons' JKD series 1 & 2?

any1 with any info on Henderson's set,or St. Pierre's and Karo's new series?

Any vets here wanna rate Vitor Belfort boxing skills and would you let him coach you in boxing given his latest meltdowns?

I borrowed the Vitor DVD from a friend a couple of months back. I didn't find it very useful. Nothing you wouldn't learn from going to 6 boxing classes.

Superbeast said:
I borrowed the Vitor DVD from a friend a couple of months back. I didn't find it very useful. Nothing you wouldn't learn from going to 6 boxing classes.

I haven't watched it but I've heard similar comments about it.

Superbeast said:
I'd add Saulo Ribeiro: Jiujitsu Revolution, Marcelo Garcia's Winning Techniques of Submission Grappling, Vut Kamnark: Muay Thai Boxing and both Gholar sets, Ultimate Wrestling and Vale Tudo Takedowns to that list. I've also heard good things about Dan Gable's Wrestling Essentials set.

Saulo's stuff is very good.......I watched 5 of the 6 videos and they were all great. The moves were great but the strategies were even better. He tells you little stuff that can improve your game by a big amount.

Only if you are a serious fan. Otherwise, no.

I read someone elses review and they say it just goes over basic stuff

albert said:
Care to elaborate?

There is nothing included that cannot be found elsewhere presented in a more detailed fashion by people with more experience. There are better wrestling DVDs (Gable, Gholar), there are better striking DVDs both for kickboxing and MMA (Kamnark, Rutten), there are tons of resources for strength training training that are better. If you want to know what Mirko's routine and methods are, it's worth every penny. If you want the best quality instruction in these areas, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Back