What happened to the fabled “train MMA since the beginning” new generation?

I'm just basing it on raw data, not personal preference. Judo does have a combination of throws and submissions, but judokas haven't had anywhere near the level of impact on the sport as wrestlers
Ronda

alot of todays game is simply over training and scoring as a point fighter--MANY ARENT READY FOR A REAL FIGHT--a better fighter is still a better fighter--training def helps--but when you put a bad fighter in there whom has had a bunch of good training--well its only a matter of time before he gets CUT DOWN--and most likely no where near the top--BIG FACTS>>>good fighters are tough as shit and have great instincts

Georges St. Pierre was kind of like that, he went into MMA with a BJJ/Karate base but soon became really good at everything, so MMA was his starting point, he was also quite young when he entered the UFC.

I think a lot of people have it wrong here, these young people would train MMA, but obviously excel in one aspect due to their love for it/natural abilities of just being good at it and having physical qualities that help with that one area.

I hope this generation never takes off. I had a lot to say about them before the Shahbazyan fight.

Also I have to mention Khabib essentially trained a form of MMA since a really young age, yes his early youth was wrestling but he competed in SAMBO in his teenage years, which is a mixture of Judo, striking, etc.

What is the background of Dominick Reyes?

Wrestling.

But he's touted as more of the "new breed" well rounded guy, but he was a HS wrestler and football player. But he went on to play like D2 football or something, then started training "MMA".

I'd definitely call it a wrestling base but he wasn't a college wrestler. Athlete/Wrestler, not top tier of either

What top tier fighters use Judo as a base?

Outside of Rousey the answer is no one ever unless we're counting Karo Parisyan
Judo is a dark horse, it’s very effective as a base but it has to be supplemented with the other arts to make it effective for mma. Checkout Dave Camarillo, we was the blackbelt at AKA when their guys still had a ground game lol.

Boxing holds national championships for 8 year olds. It is also proven to be more damaging to your brain long term. Which makes perfect sense as they are ignoring half of the body. The issue is the lack of nationally sanctioned competition for mma at a young age. If people are willing to have their children train and compete in boxing as early as 4 or 5, they would do the same with mma if there was an Avenue to do so
How many kids out of 100 do you think compete in boxing before they make 10 years old? Probably not even 1 of them.

I went to a high school of 2500 and there was only 1 kid in the school that was considered a boxer. Compare that to the fact that 80% of the 60 boys on the wrestling team had wrestled since 11.

Max Holoway is one of them.

But probably most of them will know there is not enough money to be made in the sport and will move on to better paying sports
Not really, Holloway had little to no knowledge of grappling when he entered the UFC in 2012. He wasn’t even training in BJJ. Iirc he was a white belt going on blue right before or after the Conor fight. He’s predominantly a kickboxer.

I feel like that is a pipe dream and won’t ever happen in any large numbers. Fighting is too wide of a field, unless you are training since practically birth in MMA you will just be mediocre at everything. You need to specialize and become a master at a certain aspect of fighting and use that like a backbone to branch out.

To my knowledge besides Rory Mac no fighter has taken this approach and reached the top of the sport and even he never became champ. MMA will always be filled with experts from other fields transitioning to the sport.
I agree with a lot of what you have to say TS, and a very good point. During the uprising of Rory's career, a lot of folks were entertaining the idea that this would be the future template for MMA prosperity (I felt it to be a great possibility myself). As the sport has evolved, evidence suggests that it doesn't particularly matter how young you start in the sport -- what seems to be more relevant is how many years you can fight (regardless of age) while taking damage. Joe Stevenson started MMA when he was 3 months old and retired (and unretired a few times) at a young age. On the other hand, a handful of the better fighters we've seen in MMA didn't even start fighting until their mid-30s (Couture, Severn, etc).

you guys on here acting like you've never heard of the FW GOAT: Max Holloway

I feel like that is a pipe dream and won’t ever happen in any large numbers. Fighting is too wide of a field, unless you are training since practically birth in MMA you will just be mediocre at everything. You need to specialize and become a master at a certain aspect of fighting and use that like a backbone to branch out.

To my knowledge besides Rory Mac no fighter has taken this approach and reached the top of the sport and even he never became champ. MMA will always be filled with experts from other fields transitioning to the sport.
Volkanovski

What top tier fighters use Judo as a base?

Outside of Rousey the answer is no one ever unless we're counting Karo Parisyan
I could split hairs but Japan had most of the good ones. Fedor etc. but I've had like 6 of you guys lecture me. point taken. I admit wrestling will usually be a better base unless you train out of Glendale

I've been watching NHB and MMA since 1996. There have been so many prodigies and barely any have panned out. Here's the deal, if someone has the talent, skill and ability to be elite at one martial art, odds are they can use their talent to learn something else.

One of the things about a wrestler though is the amount of 1 on 1 bouts they get. From 8 to 18 they can get 250-300. Even if someone was training MMA on the side, you still need that competition.

That said, I want to see more full contact karate guy.

Back