What happened to sonnens wrestling league

SHAOLINMONK420

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A month or two ago he was having greco roman and freestyle international medalists competing on fight pass. Wrestling in the cage with otherwise basic olympic rules or as close as to olympic rules as possible.

I believe USA Wrestling is (or was) gearing up to start some semblance of a season. Maybe they, the clubs, and the RTCs are discouraging wrestlers from competing outside the official events. On the other hand, Chael is well plugged in and would probably receive their blessing. Either way, covid seems to be going in the wrong direction so who knows.

Check out Intermatwrestle.com they are on top of this sort of stuff.

I believe USA Wrestling is (or was) gearing up to start some semblance of a season. Maybe they, the clubs, and the RTCs are discouraging wrestlers from competing outside the official events. On the other hand, Chael is well plugged in and would probably receive their blessing. Either way, covid seems to be going in the wrong direction so who knows.
thanks ive been pondering this for months. the first event had very strange rules because you couldnt coach or challenge. maybe that has something to do with putting the wrestling league on hold.

it was a brilliant idea to get people into wrestling.

Maybe they will try judo in a cage

btw this whole wrestling season middle school to olympics is a hot mess maybe time to make a new thread addressing it

Last edited:
Not so much anymore, but I feel like at one point it would've been great to have an event pitting MMA guys vs wrestlers. Maybe modify the rules some. Back when a lot of MMA guys were training and using wrestling at a high level. Kinda like what Metamoris did with sub grappling.

So they are alllowed to use the cage? Doesn’t their fingers and hands get destroyed if they aren’t wearing gloves?

2 guys? I'm talking about back when GSP, Rashad, Phil Davis, DC, Fitch, Koscheck, Cain, Jon Jones, Maia, Guida, Bader and a bunch of others were winning fights with wrestling. You even had guys like Matt Brown, RDA, Tibau, Arlovski, and many others putting in the time training with top wrestlers and coaches. It just seems like wrestling is less a piece of the contemporary MMA META.

2 guys? I'm talking about back when GSP, Rashad, Phil Davis, DC, Fitch, Koscheck, Cain, Jon Jones, Maia, Guida, Bader and a bunch of others were winning fights with wrestling. You even had guys like Matt Brown, RDA, Tibau, Arlovski, and many others putting in the time training with top wrestlers and coaches. It just seems like wrestling is less a piece of the contemporary MMA META.
But if you look at the MMA landscape as a whole, wrestlers are probably the most well-represented of any one group. And as far as the elites go, even now, in the recent history, almost all of their male world champions were of a wrestling background. Even Robert Whittaker competed as a wrestler, albeit after he made his start as an MMA fighter.

Mighty Mouse, Cejudo, Dillashaw, Garbrandt, Cruz--all wrestlers. Stipe and Cormier both came from wrestling backgrounds. The majority of guys at the elite level are wrestlers. And wrestlers are probably even more predominate when you get out of the highest levels of the sport.

But if you look at the MMA landscape as a whole, wrestlers are probably the most well-represented of any one group. And as far as the elites go, even now, in the recent history, almost all of their male world champions were of a wrestling background. Even Robert Whittaker competed as a wrestler, albeit after he made his start as an MMA fighter.

Mighty Mouse, Cejudo, Dillashaw, Garbrandt, Cruz--all wrestlers. Stipe and Cormier both came from wrestling backgrounds. The majority of guys at the elite level are wrestlers. And wrestlers are probably even more predominate when you get out of the highest levels of the sport.
Yeah you're definitely right about that. After I posted I thought to myself

"...but...a lot of wrestling had to be done to establish the TD threat that allows so many fighters to abandon offensive wrestling".

Guys like Aljamain Sterling, Ferguson, Frankie, Alvarez, Gaethje, etc. Their respected wrestling allows them to strike. Even guys like Rumble. And the Dagestan natives like Makhachev. New guys like Phil Hawes are picking up the torch.

Back