What happened to Ricardo Arona?

Lol, with 13 years since that moment, Arona vs Fedor decision being discussed.... It has to be among GOAT controversial decisions along with Bas vs Kevin.

:icon_lol:

Incredibly true... these two decisions will never have a true conclusion. I can't believe I'm still seeing discussion regarding them.

Fedor beat Arona under RINGS rules. Deal with it.

Yup. People that think Arona should have won the fight don't realise that Fedor's guillotine choke and straight ankle lock attempts counted alot more in the eyes of RINGS scoring than Arona just controlling him and landing a few body shots.

Even though he was a very boring fighter I kind of miss him, but that probably has more to do with missing the Pride era than missing him. Arona wasn't a killer of any sort, he was an amazing grappler with terrific control and LNP, but I can't remember that he had many fans simply because not many enjoyed watching him fight in Pride. Would be cool to see him back in MMA though just to see if he still could be relevant or not.

Surfing in Brazil somewheres

He also would have gotten his head pounded into the mat under PRIDE rules.

I love Fedor and think he undoubtedly bests Arona more times than not but you can't deny that night was Arona's night. RINGS judging criteria was a little weird but the fighters knew what the judges would be looking for before the fight.

Hence why I personally give BIG props to Arona for what he did to Fedor and acknowledge that Arona looked better than Fedor did that night. But considering everyone knew the judging criteria for that fight coming in there was nothing controversial about it imo. Fedor beat Arona under the known judging criteria. Nothing cheap or underhanded about it. It'd be different if the judging criteria was coinciding with unified rules or even Pride judging criteria but unfortunately that just wasn't the case.

Bring him back and let him fight Tito under MMA rules! :D

I know it's not MMA nor should it be any sort of indicator but it's interesting to watch for those who haven't yet seen it.

Surfing in Brazil somewheres

Itacoatiara, if you want to get specific.

325px-Niteroi_itacoatiara_beach.jpg

It's where he has his gym he built as well, teaching JJ lessons.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He IS larger than 205.. Probably about 235. He looks like he may still prefer Pride rules..
He's absolutely not bigger than 205. His last fight against Beastman he didn't even cut weight at all and came in @ 200lbs. Look how small he looks here, in the off season, not even training for a fight.

Incredibly true... these two decisions will never have a true conclusion. I can't believe I'm still seeing discussion regarding them.

Every single dude in question is retired too, some for loooong time, but their decisions still live on. :D

Man, Arona had some nasty ass leg kicks back in the day, this what I remember most from then, that and his sick (but slightly LnP) BJJ.

Man, Arona had some nasty ass leg kicks back in the day, this what I remember most from then, that and his sick (but slightly LnP) BJJ.

Arona was and still is one of the better grapplers the sport has probably ever had and most definitely one of the best in LHW history. Imagine GSP with worse striking (technically speaking). STYLISTICALLY he was similar to that in the way he fought if I could make such an evaluation.

in b4 "but he only has 2 submission wins"

there's more to grappling that getting the submission. Sometimes it's about the ability take someone down and get superior position. Trying to out grapple Arona wasn't gonna happen. Even Fedor couldn't out grapple Arona which is a testament to the guy's skill and technique.

[YT]8zjY92MVG9U[/YT]

Wins over Horn (2x), Fedor (see the fight), Murilo Rua, Sakuraba, Wand, Overeem, Eastman, Henderson...

A true legend...

Christ....when you troll, it's supposed to be funny.

Anyway, Arona is working at a gas station with Princess Diana and Kurt Cobain at the base of Mount Rushmore pumping gas & selling Dana White Bobbleheads.

Rewatched that Arona-Ortiz ADCC match I posted earlier and forgot how interesting that was

Christ....when you troll, it's supposed to be funny.

Anyway, Arona is working at a gas station with Princess Diana and Kurt Cobain at the base of Mount Rushmore pumping gas & selling Dana White Bobbleheads.

That was pretty funny man...

Surfing the beaches of Manaus?

Back