What happened to Ricardo Arona?

I think he's hanging out around the search function.

to sherdoggers pre-2007 members he's just another l'n'per
to me he's just another brazillian thugs just like Thiago Silva, Maiquel Falcao and Paulo Filho

to sherdoggers pre-2007 members he's just another l'n'per
to me he's just another brazillian thugs just like Thiago Silva, Maiquel Falcao and Paulo Filho

yea, he was kinda boring... and i was (and still am) hardcore wand fan so i used to dislike him during pride

but he's a very nice guy, he doesnt act thug

I think people who want him back are mostly "newer" fans who didn't watch him in the PRIDE days.
He was probably the most hated fighter on Sherdog (I used to have an account in 2004, made a new one recently).
Like Jones these days, but even JBJ haters can't deny that his exciting. Arona was perceived by 98% of sherdoggers as a boring Lay'n Pray artist. And a dirty fighter (see the Saku fight). And a whiny dude (he literally has an excuse for every single one of his losses). People also hated on him for (allegedly) being involved in dog-fighting with his best buddy Paulo Filho. And he didn't have much of a "personality"...

Very talented, and he beat a lot of big names in ADCC (never even lost a round I think), but most of his "fans" were trolls that always brought-up the Fedor fight (that he lost, look up the RINGS rules and watch the fight again)...

Also, his decision win over Guy Mezger was often brought up a one of the worst PRIDE decisions.

Seriously, he was TOP 5 in PRIDE (before getting blasted by Sokoudjou), but everybody disliked him. If you were on Sherdog during his PRIDE run you'll remember that. That might also been because he was Wanderlei's worst enemy (worst than Rampage), and everybody loved Wand.
"Pride's Tito Ortiz" like they called him.

I can understand how new fans that look up his record could go "holy shit why did this guy stop fighting??? bring him back Dana!", but if you followed the sport back then, you'll get why...

Sorry, but the fact that most of Sherdog didn't like him don't mean shit.

lol on the fedor fight.....but seriously the african assassin learned soccer from his local brazilian friends and later punted arona's head in to middle rows right?

Yep, and that's how the huge majority of Sherdog perceived him.
This is why I don't understand all these threads. Unless of course coming from new fans who didn't watch him when he was fighting, and go crazy when they see his MMA record.
The only Arona fight that I love is the war with Ninja. Other than that, i'd rather watch his grappling fights. And even in ADCC, he wasn't known as a big finished, more of a "control" dude. Very effective, but not the most exciting.

Rampage wasn't bad at all, sure the slam was a mma highlight but the fight wasnt bad at all.

I've watched the fight. It's a close fight.
Arona did nothing significant in that fight but go for TD's.
Judging was also better then.

Yup. White belt is too used to the modern day judges' "on top for more time > anything significant" ignorance.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned anything about Arona's unnatural physique. I mean, it would certainly put some perspective into what Fedor was up against.

LoL, & Arona surfing jpeg some 1

Aronasurf.jpg

This pic?

Sorry, but the fact that most of Sherdog didn't like him don't mean shit.
It depends on the context. Back then nobody liked him, and now that he has retired we have the weekly "where is Arona?? Bring him back he was a killer!" thread.
So it means that the people who are creating these threads were not following the sport during his RINGS/PRIDE run. Nothing wrong with that, we were all MMA n00bz at one point.
Or (for a small part of them) are hardcore grappling fans that liked his "take down and neutralize your opponent" (aka L'nP) style.

Rampage wasn't bad at all, sure the slam was a mma highlight but the fight wasnt bad at all.
Yep I forgot to mention this one, that was a weird fight as well...
Arona had Rampage badly rocked in his guard, and instead of finishing him, he started to argue with the ref long enough to give Quinton enough time to recover and slam him?
And then making hundreds of butt-hurt statements about DQ'ing Rampage because he headbutted him.
Weird fight, but entertaining for sure.
The funny part is that if he actually came in the UFC right after PRIDE was bought, he probably would have dominated the competition back then (except for Chuck, maybe...), but getting tons of hate for not finishing fights/being content with taking people down and holding them on the ground, for making tons of excuses (he was as bad as Tito regarding that) and having a not-very-likable personality, etc etc
UFC fans who have prayed for him to get brutally knocked-out in every fight.

So he would have been like Jon Jones, but without the exciting fighting style.
He also fought a lot of opponents that belonged in one or 2 weight-classes under him. And when you see the hate that JBJ got for fighting Chael and Vitor...

Dana would have cut him as soon as he finally lost. Jon Fitch style.

But instead he stayed inactive for a long time, fought Marvin Eastman, "retired" again and now the Where is Arona??? threads are becoming a meme.

In a parallel universe, Arona went to the UFC, and they have weekly Sherdog threads about him being a "blanket with an annoying personality".

One of my favourite fighters of all time. I miss that dude. ADCC Demi-God

Says another fat person. Just shut up lol

"He's obviously completely let himself go." THAT is obvious sarcasm. He looks 240 in that picture, so the dude could have LITERALLY been mentioning his weight gain. I'm not looking back to see who even said it, but did he even say HIMSELF it was sarcasm? Or are you ***holes trying to sound smart? :icon_lol:

bottom line is, you didn't get the sarcasm ( which was as obvious as it can get ).
claiming you know sarcasm doesn't make it any better

i don't what would be worse, you being serious or you trying to be some "funny double troll"

Last edited:
Ricardo Arona retired during his free time Arona skates, rock climbs and surfs to keep himself in shape.

Back