What happened to Ricardo Arona?

The man is living the life.

Can't blame him for not wanting to come back.

I was a fan of Arona and always hoped he'd show up in the UFC or Bellator BUT you people have to quit the nonsense about him beating Fedor, move the fuck on.

You guys do know that Rings wasn't like an MMA fight and had fucked up rules and that's why the fight was so close.

I think people who want him back are mostly "newer" fans who didn't watch him in the PRIDE days.
He was probably the most hated fighter on Sherdog (I used to have an account in 2004, made a new one recently).
Like Jones these days, but even JBJ haters can't deny that his exciting. Arona was perceived by 98% of sherdoggers as a boring Lay'n Pray artist. And a dirty fighter (see the Saku fight). And a whiny dude (he literally has an excuse for every single one of his losses). People also hated on him for (allegedly) being involved in dog-fighting with his best buddy Paulo Filho. And he didn't have much of a "personality"...

Very talented, and he beat a lot of big names in ADCC (never even lost a round I think), but most of his "fans" were trolls that always brought-up the Fedor fight (that he lost, look up the RINGS rules and watch the fight again)...

Also, his decision win over Guy Mezger was often brought up a one of the worst PRIDE decisions.

Seriously, he was TOP 5 in PRIDE (before getting blasted by Sokoudjou), but everybody disliked him. If you were on Sherdog during his PRIDE run you'll remember that. That might also been because he was Wanderlei's worst enemy (worst than Rampage), and everybody loved Wand.
"Pride's Tito Ortiz" like they called him.

I can understand how new fans that look up his record could go "holy shit why did this guy stop fighting??? bring him back Dana!", but if you followed the sport back then, you'll get why...

Last edited:
Arona had Rampage beat until that powerbomb but he was hurting Rampage with strikes.

I think people who want him back are mostly "newer" fans who didn't watch him in the PRIDE days.
He was probably the most hated fighter on Sherdog (I used to have an account in 2004, made a new one recently).
Like Jones these days, but even JBJ haters can't deny that his exciting. Arona was perceived by 98% of sherdoggers as a boring Lay'n Pray artist. And a dirty fighter (see the Saku fight). And a whiny dude (he literally has an excuse for every single one of his losses). People also hated on him for (allegedly) being involved in dog-fighting with his best buddy Paulo Filho. And he didn't have much of a "personality"...

Very talented, and he beat a lot of big names in ADCC (never even lost a round I think), but most of his "fans" were trolls that always brought-up the Fedor fight (that he lost, look up the RINGS rules and watch the fight again)...

Also, his decision win over Guy Mezger was often brought up a one of the worst PRIDE decisions.

Seriously, he was TOP 5 in PRIDE (before getting blasted by Sokoudjou), but everybody disliked him. Of you were on Sherdod during his PRIDE run you'll remember that. That might also been because he was Wanderlei's worst enemy (worst than Rampage), and everybody loved Wand.
"Pride's Tito Ortiz" like they called him.

I can understand how new fans that look up his record could go "holy shit why did this guy stop fighting??? bring him back Dana!", but if you followed the sport back then, you'll get why...
Ya I remember him for being a Brazilian L'n'Per.

Go back to being dumb where you were before here

Says another fat person. Just shut up lol

"He's obviously completely let himself go." THAT is obvious sarcasm. He looks 240 in that picture, so the dude could have LITERALLY been mentioning his weight gain. I'm not looking back to see who even said it, but did he even say HIMSELF it was sarcasm? Or are you ***holes trying to sound smart? :icon_lol:

He's making this thread after just getting back from surfing, waiting for a fine Brazilian girl to finish cooking his food, and then he's going to fuck her.

He hasn't fought in years, even if he were to fight again he wouldn't be the same fighter.

And what happened to Arona? The biggest MMA organizations started to be only in the US, which meant drug testing which definitely would hurt his chances of winning since he obviously wasn't 100% legit in being a clean fighter.

If you look at the two physiques and realize what Fedor was having to deal with, well . . .

Ya I remember him for being a Brazilian L'n'Per.

Yep, and that's how the huge majority of Sherdog perceived him.
This is why I don't understand all these threads. Unless of course coming from new fans who didn't watch him when he was fighting, and go crazy when they see his MMA record.
The only Arona fight that I love is the war with Ninja. Other than that, i'd rather watch his grappling fights. And even in ADCC, he wasn't known as a big finished, more of a "control" dude. Very effective, but not the most exciting.

White belt...are you unaware of Ricardo Arona's surfing vacation?

In all seriousness he's pretty much retired. I mean he hasn't come out and said it but he's just dropped off the face off the MMA world and is just chilling in Brazil working in his gym, surfing, training, surfing, spreading his seed/genetics with every 10/10 Brazilian chick in the country, surfing...yeah you get the idea.

He's living like a rock star.

Yep, and that's how the huge majority of Sherdog perceived him. This is why I don't understand all these threads.

Back then people kept asking about him because his style was the most cage friendly style out of all the PRIDE guys who were coming over. He's a sick grappler who was a HUGE 205'er. I think he would have done very well in the UFC but the Arona ship has sailed.

Oh God, just shaking my fuckin head. There is stupid people out there and then there is you. :rolleyes:

Back