What happened to MMA in Canada?

Obviously because Gsp left. Rory was thought to be the sequel of Gsp but it didn't pan out that way.

Lol. Tsn will just run CFL football right over the ufc even if it's streaming on their other 4 channels. Hate them

The sport itself got flooded. A UFC ppv once a month was a big event. Now there's too much for people to keep track og. Too many shows, weight classes etc.

GSP retiring and a real lack of Canadian talent.

The next guys coming up aren't very exciting or dominant

Is that really a reason? Don't most homes have TSN? Also, the UFC usually airs on TSN 2.
Not here in canada sportsmet was all the sports channels well still is. Tsn is probobly hidimg someone way up there

The sport itself got flooded. A UFC ppv once a month was a big event. Now there's too much for people to keep track og. Too many shows, weight classes etc.

I agree. That's another factor why I watch much less. I can't keep track of 350 fighters and now when I do watch a card it has 1 or 2 fights I'm interested in rather than 4 or 5. It's too much effort to follow everything and I just don't have that kind of time.

Lol

Trust me.

MMA is alive and well in Canada.

it turned into the dark place in GSP's head sometimes.

TJ Grant...fuck.

I've heard rumours that Mark Pavelich is gearing up to bring MFC back, or selling the brand to someone willing to bring it back.

In 2009, it was like the biggest shit ever. According to Dana, MMA was bigger than hockey.

Now it just turned into another tiny fringe sport.....
Don't get it twisted. We love the sport, just because we don't have a current, largely promoted fighter doesn't mean we don't still enjoy the carnage. lol

Also, UFC moved from Sportsnet, a channel which most people get to TSN5 which I'm not sure is even a real thing.

It's bullshit that I used to get all the ufc prelims to having nothing

I am Canadian and I still love it damn it!

lol but I don't understand what's happened either, I figured after MMA became legal in Ontario then there would be a ton more shows here. But Bellator stopped coming by, and the UFC haven't been to Toronto since 2013. There aren't even many or any local shows that can promote talent around here, you'd have to almost always travel out of province to find a show to view or compete at.

I guess lack of known Canadian talent has made the sport seem less news worthy, so it's less advertised and people around here must not know or care.

TSN and the Fight Network often split the prelims now too, most people obviously don't have the fight network (so you can watch on fight pass), and TSN often lets other sports run into the UFC timeslot even though the thing is on 3 other channels.

That's all I can think of.

I wouldnt say MMA died like in Japan, but is less popular than even kickboxing

I don't know man, I don't think anything is less popular than Kickboxing. lol I love kickboxing so so much, but its not really that popular currently, especially not in Canada.

Not only did GSP retire he exposed the sport for the steroid use, it shocked many people when he said that stuff, I questioned it huge; but since then how many fighters have failed tests? I'm sure the Canadian hero GSP being the one to say that and to retire that was a pretty big deal. I would assume that would be the biggest reason for any decline in interest in the UFC from Canadians.

I don't know man, I don't think anything is less popular than Kickboxing. lol I love kickboxing so so much, but its not really that popular currently, especially not in Canada.
Maybe as big as boxing, or basketball then.

Back