What happened to Jon's wrestling?

Jones had some of the best in-fighting we've ever seen in the UFC. Such a shame..
giphy.gif

forget about what happened to jon's wrestling...what happened to his boxing? he had much better boxing back then...people can talk about steroids all they want..steroids don't make you a better boxer...floyd mayweather never took a steroid in his life...yet he can box...the body shots he landed on texiera here...the elbow....we haven't seen inside fighting like that in a long long time....

- USADA happened ...

- Jones wrestling was always based on his arms reaching very far away from his body.

- This style requires a shit ton of strength, it was possible when Jones was on the Juice or against MW.

- Now that he is semi-clean, his wrestling is amateurish, slow and predictable, he doesn't have the strength necessary for this style of takedowns, can't even control a football player on the ground for more than 15 seconds ...

He also used his height a lot as leverage in wrestling exchanges, which allows him to effectively keep his hips away while still leaning on his opponent.

That doesn't work against guys his size.

Last edited:
Jones only won based off his size advantage.

Take that and PED's away and he is very beatable.

We're witnessing the slight & steady decline that all fighters go through after this many years. The mileage adds up and you stop using certain parts of your game.

Same thing happened to Fedor, and he finally paid for it in the Werdum fight.

He used to have overwhelming strength and straight up ragdoll even other high level wrestlers. If I could narrow it down, there was a massive decline from the 1st Cormier fight to the OSP fight, where I was shocked at his inability to dominate OSP on the ground. These two fights were back to back.

Also the time period where he was max coke-head. He tested positive for cocaine before the 1st Cormier fight, and after it he crashed his car with drugs and money on board. A year-long bender on crack could certainly reduce an A-level wrestler to B+ level.

Jones performances have gone downhill since he got busted for using performance enhancers...
I’m not disagreeing with that nor are most ppl here but to say he never had good wrestling is silly.

He’s fought just about every one in his class, top contenders or not and he’s beaten them all. He’s getting older and sooner or later a young and hungry fighter will come up and dethrone him.

Doesn’t mean Jon isn’t good but nobody can stay on top forever. Especially at his level. He’s done it all and the day he does lose, more ppl will say he wasn't that good.

Simply just isn’t true.

USADA happened. He clearly doesnt have the cardio anymore, guys like Smith and Santos are shit wrestlers but Jones preferred to conserve energy and pitter-patter them for 25mins. He isn't taking the same amounts of gear he used to, he can't fight the way he used to - that's why he looks human nowadays. Unfortunately, its terrible timing. Had this version of Jones been in the era of prime DC, prime scary Rumble and Gustafsson (to an extent) we'd have seen him lose by now. Reyes, Anderson, Blachowicz, Walker, Rakic, Volkan are just not on the same level to trouble him enough - Reyes being the exception.

Jon's wrestling is good. It's just Reyes was prepared and he has decent strength and explosive ness to get back up. Hats off to him for that.

I think it's the power lifting. It's made him stiff, and less flexible.

How much control time did he have over Cormier?
Ability to take down short, bulky olympic wrestler DC multiple times should equal the ability to control Reyes on the ground. That version of Jon controls Reyes on the ground imo.

Not just him but everyone above WW with strong wrestling backround don’t use them as much as before USADA.

Perhaps a very minor contributor could be how sweaty Reyes was. He looked to be super slippy looking from early on. Probably a dumbass suggestion but it was just something I noticed from early in the fight his whole body was sweaty.

*Any homoeroticism indicated in this post is entirely unintentional.

Last edited:
Honestly it might be ego what keeps him away from using his wrestling which I believe is his best weapon, maybe he just wants to be meat opponents at their own game to feel good about himself.

i think he truly believes that he doesnt need his wrestling to beat anyone in the division, and he is most likely right.
with that said, pico jones can go fuck himself. im still waiting for that day when jones gets ktfo or choked out.

probably the size and leverages he's used to are different with the big guys

Styles make fights you dohdoh heads

why is this concept so hard to grasp?

some of these reactive response threads can be so comical

We're witnessing the slight & steady decline that all fighters go through after this many years. The mileage adds up and you stop using certain parts of your game.

Same thing happened to Fedor, and he finally paid for it in the Werdum fight.
Lol

No

As a huge JJones fight fan - gotta say this really does look like depleted Testosterone. Power lifting etc.. dont make up for the kind of unbridled Test explosions that PED's help provide and sustain. He's lost a step in everything he does -and that still makes him a great fighter just not the unbelievable fighter confident in his wide range of attacks we once saw. Shame.

Back