What happened to Jon's wrestling?

My take?

MMA has evolved in the past ~5-10 years, obviously. With that said, Reyes used the cage (wall) to his advantage, he used that cage to stop TDs and to get up. If the wall wasn't there he would have easily been taken down. A combination of him fighting close to the cage for stretches, Jones choosing to shoot doubles frequently, and his technique/physical strength and athleticism to wall climb and get up. His will-power also to get up, and being proficient at grappling enough to thwart off back attacks and Jones attempts at control.

I think Jones is to blame a bit too? Just my opinion. I believe his choice to shoot doubles the majority of the time was sort of dumb considering he's fighting a tall opponent who's built like Michael Phelps (as in he's 66% torso, not long legged, low center of gravity). And Jones was a god-tier greco trip master in the past. Also Jones sort of went for the back multiple times while he never had control / hooks / body triangle, and let Reyes wall climb up as well...he should have been pulling away from the cage when he was immediately down or constricting like the legs / controlling the hips like Khabib for example.

But it's easier said than done. Reyes was good in TDD and wall climbing basically. I would have like to have seen Jones work clinch / greco more and then just bomb elbows if the TDs didn't work, or a barrage when Reyes was off-balance or had to defend. But the opposite kind of occurred in those scenarios.

Last edited:
Keep crying, as if your favorite fighters aren't using performance enhancers.
- My fav fighters were not caught 3 times, once at the same time as his brother in football ...

- giving actual arguments based on observation is " crying " now ?

- You re the one sounding emotional mate, posting stupid gifs and responding to every Jones critics with provocation and no actual ideas ... keep it going mate !

At this point I'm either waiting for the old Jones to come back or for him to get KTFO.

Reyes' funky 6 foot torso made double underhooks ineffective. Took away Jon's greco. I was surprised he didn't use those elbows more in the clinch though.

reyes is really good and the whole team did their homework
weidman couldnt get him down either, aint he a state champ?

And here is a typical whitebelt response, ladies and gentleman.

It’s ppl like this dumbass who, when Jon does lose, will say he was “never that good”.

Stop watching mma. You’re clearly a new fan within the last two years.

Jones performances have gone downhill since he got busted for using performance enhancers...

reyes is really good and the whole team did their homework
weidman couldnt get him down either, aint he a state champ?
I think Weidman's case is a bit different, seeing as he's a natural MW against a much bigger guy. Also the fight was so short, they weren't wrestling that much. I get your point, though. I would rather compare it to the Volkan fight, where Volkan was having success getting takedowns late in the fight against Reyes. Jones shot in round 4 and 5? Reyes wasn't as illusive as he was early in the fight and Jones seemed much fresher. No excuses IMO.

Must have been avoiding the pulsing sensations as of late.

Jones had some of the best in-fighting we've ever seen in the UFC. Such a shame..
giphy.gif
Even though he didnt finish glover,rashad and cormier in 1st fight,his striking his wrestling was just awesome. Look at these strikes its a masterpiece

- My fav fighters were not caught 3 times, once at the same time as his brother in football ...

- giving actual arguments based on observation is " crying " now ?

- You re the one sounding emotional mate, posting stupid gifs and responding to every Jones critics with provocation and no actual ideas ... keep it going mate !

I like how you dodged my statement, so I'll ask again.

Do you honestly think that your favorite fighters have never used a performance enhancer?

Jones is a martial artist so he likes to challenge himself by taking the harder road. Jones now prefers to beat his opponents using kickboxing with the least amount of strikes possible. He used to maneuver all over, spamming kicks, elbows, clinging and takedowns. The victories became to easy and boring so now Jones is content to expand little energy and seeing if he can still win a fight by using his least effective strategy. And Jones is still winning. Its amazing.

Even Jones' timing on takedowns seemed worse this fight. In the later rounds, he was just diving in from the outside for the TD. Almost looked like desperation. He even had Reyes back for a second, but couldn't do anything with it.

I like how you dodged my statement, so I'll ask again.

Do you honestly think that your favorite fighters have never used a performance enhancer?
didnt dodged it, do you have comprehension problems ?

When my fav fighters will get caught cheating 3 times, then I ll consider them like Jones ...

Even though he didnt finish glover,rashad and cormier in 1st fight,his striking his wrestling was just awesome. Look at these strikes its a masterpiece

So clean and crisp too. Each hit perfectly landed at the spot he was aiming for with no block against his strikes #GodModeEnabled.

didnt dodged it, do you have comprehension problems ?

When my fav fighters will get caught cheating 3 times, then I ll consider them like Jones ...

Let me rephrase it for you.

Do you honestly think that Fedor or GSP went their entire mma careers without taking a single performace enhancer?

The techniques are picoing out of his body every drug test.

Let me rephrase it for you.

Do you honestly think that Fedor or GSP went their entire mma careers without taking a single performace enhancer?
I don't think, I don't have the expertise, I observe.

Who I am to accuse someone of being a cheater ? who are you ?

There are professionals paid to do that, those professionals never accused GSP of being a juiced head, but they said that your idol is a juiced head at least 3 times. Now go "cry" somewhere else.
<JonesDXSuckIt>

" bUt OthErs ArE noT nAtuRAl ToO !!!!" stop whining and accept FACTS.

Jones is a martial artist so he likes to challenge himself by taking the harder road. Jones now prefers to beat his opponents using kickboxing with the least amount of strikes possible. He used to maneuver all over, spamming kicks, elbows, clinging and takedowns. The victories became to easy and boring so now Jones is content to expand little energy and seeing if he can still win a fight by using his least effective strategy. And Jones is still winning. Its amazing.

Yeah? Is that why he had to rely on takedowns to win this fight? And he couldn't even keep him down, and struggled hard to take him down in the championship rounds?

Back