What happened to Jon's wrestling?

ChaelSonnen

The American Gangster
@purple
Reaction score
This guy used to take everyone down at will. The wrestling clinics against Bonnar and Sonnen immediately spring to mind. He manhandled Cormier in the wrestling department in their first fight. Basically whenever he shot on you, you were going down.

Why wasn't he able to take down Reyes? I mean he got Reyes down for 1 second at the most, but had no control time whatsoever. The same goes for the Santos fight. The old Jon would absolutely dominate both of these guys wrestling. Reyes might have good wrestling defense, but he was taken down by Volkan a lot in their fight. Did he really improve that much since then?

This guy used to take everyone down at will. The wrestling clinics against Bonnar and Sonnen immediately spring to mind. He manhandled Cormier in the wrestling department in their first fight. Basically whenever he shot on you, you were going down.

Why wasn't he able to take down Reyes? I mean he got Reyes down for 1 second at the most, but had no control time whatsoever. The same goes for the Santos fight. The old Jon would absolutely dominate both of these guys wrestling..
I think santos and reyes are particularly difficult to take down due to their physical attributes

Steroids are a hell of a drug.

He was too occupied beating them in the standup.

Reyes 1,2,3
Also Reyes fucking overpowered him with the tdd

- USADA happened ...

- Jones wrestling was always based on his arms reaching very far away from his body.

- This style requires a shit ton of strength, it was possible when Jones was on the Juice or against MW.

- Now that he is semi-clean, his wrestling is amateurish, slow and predictable, he doesn't have the strength necessary for this style of takedowns, can't even control a football player on the ground for more than 15 seconds ...

Last edited:
Cormier is a fat 5'10, Jones has so many advantages wrestling him and he wasn't that much better.
Jones couldn't take down a prime Gus.
He was outwrestled by a lot of smaller men in highschool and he has trouble taking down guys his size, if they have good tdd.

BP95rc3CUAAC4-b.jpg

I think santos and reyes are particularly difficult to take down due to their physical attributes

This. Reyes is a monster and santos isn't too far behind. Also Jones speed isn't what is used to be, the guys been fighting killers for over 10 years.

A) without his picos, he doesn't have the power
B) he's in his 30's now, so the knees are probably getting creaky, making striking the preferred technique
C) He's feeling more confident in his strikes, so he doesn't feel the need to mix in wrestling if in trouble
D) He's used to tossing MW's that moved up.

Last edited:
No he is off the drugs now. Jones wrestling was never that good.
And here is a typical whitebelt response, ladies and gentleman.

It’s ppl like this dumbass who, when Jon does lose, will say he was “never that good”.

Stop watching mma. You’re clearly a new fan within the last two years.

USADA happen ...

Jones wrestling was always based on his arms reaching very far away from his body.

This style requires a shit ton of strength, it was possible when Jones was on the Juice.

Now that he is semi-clean, his wrestling is amateurish, he doesn't have the strength necessary for this style of takedowns, can't even control a football player on the ground for more than 15 seconds ...
waaambulance.gif

It seems to me that wrestling is one of the first things to decline as you get older. It requires the most explosiveness and also hard training on the knees/joints.

There are a lot of fighters who started as wrestlers, then end up just becoming boxers/strikers later in their career because they just can't shoot like they used to.

For Jones - I think he relies a lot on leverage with longer limbs than his opponents. Against someone of similar statue - it might be more difficult.

Why wasn't he able to take down Reyes? I mean he got Reyes down for 1 second at the most, but had no control time whatsoever. The same goes for the Santos fight. The old Jon would absolutely dominate both of these guys wrestling. Reyes might have good wrestling defense, but he was taken down by Volkan a lot in their fight. Did he really improve that much since then?

He never took down poeples at will. His wrestling was always severely overrated and i've been saying it for years. Unlike truly great wrestlers he needs to capitalize on opponent's mistakes to take them down. GSP gets you down whenever the hell he wants.

Back