What happened to JDS ?

He has a first round KO win over the current champ. I think it is a bit early to say he is done.

Cain beat him twice, not the end of the world, and he edged Stipe, an excellent fighter, in a tough war.

I think Werdum can take care of cain again, seeing as how he demolished him not long ago.

Then JDS would hypothetically be facing either Werdum or possibly Arlovski (if by some miracle AA actually gets his goddamn shot and wins) for the belt... I would favor JDS in both match ups and he is gonna knock Reem the fuck out.

Getting the belt back ain't easy, very few champs have ever done it, but JDS has a reasonable chance to get the gold again if things play out the right way.

Gotta love these mma fans that change their perspective on a fighter from fight to fight. Guess when/if JDS KO's Overeem "he's back" and their on a high again

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I watch JDS KO Overeem, but he looks the same as he did in the Miocic fight, I won't be declaring him back to form. The only way I'll say that is he goes out there and looks like he did prior to the Cain beatings. I don't see that happening though.

I heard that he was trying to find any excuse to go to the gym and not be at home with his old wife

Things, alas, have changed

I don't think I've ever rooted for the guy in the past, but I respect him. I feel bad for him after those horrific beatings, too. I kinda hope he finds some way to win the belt back eventually, though first I want Hunt and Arlovski to win it.

Dude, how are you not banned already? The thing with "took too much damage" is just a stupid idea. The body can recover ! He was in the ring for 25 min ONLY.

How do people die when the bullet only travels through their body for a fraction of the second? Sorcery. It's almost like time is not the sole factor when determining how bad damage is...

He has a first round KO win over the current champ. I think it is a bit early to say he is done.

Cain beat him twice, not the end of the world, and he edged Stipe, an excellent fighter, in a tough war.

I think Werdum can take care of cain again, seeing as how he demolished him not long ago.

Then JDS would hypothetically be facing either Werdum or possibly Arlovski (if by some miracle AA actually gets his goddamn shot and wins) for the belt... I would favor JDS in both match ups and he is gonna knock Reem the fuck out.

Getting the belt back ain't easy, very few champs have ever done it, but JDS has a reasonable chance to get the gold again if things play out the right way.

I don't see how the win against Cain is relevant to this discussion. No one is saying he was done when his only loss was an armbar early in his career.

When I hear the comments of "JDS is done" and people make them occasionally I just shake my head.

JDS is a perfect example of how these PMS MMA fans react to a fighter that levels off. The case with JDS is that his expectations from fans exceed what he's capable off. He got off to such a dominant run at HW before the Cain fights and in between with Hunt that fans expect this performance every time. So when he doesnt destroy a guy like Stipe they assume he's not the same.

Reality is that no fighter is capable of continually being that dominant vs their competition and I am shocked how fans dont get that. Especially at the high level of being a top 5 fighter and fighting the best.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I watch JDS KO Overeem, but he looks the same as he did in the Miocic fight, I won't be declaring him back to form. The only way I'll say that is he goes out there and looks like he did prior to the Cain beatings. I don't see that happening though.

Thats what i am talking about, he's the same JDS. The guy that was KO'ing Gonzaga and HUnt is no different then the guy that fought Stipe. He just happened to fight a very good boxer and tough style match up. You cant expect perfection all the time from any fighter. Its the same guy in the same form.

Thats what i am talking about, he's the same JDS. The guy that was KO'ing Gonzaga and HUnt is no different then the guy that fought Stipe. He just happened to fight a very good boxer and tough style match up. You cant expect perfection all the time from any fighter. Its the same guy in the same form.

I do not thing he was the same fighter. Not physically, and not mentally. He looked completely different to me.

jds.gif

tumblr_lnj01y9Tbh1qcdnsio1_500.gif

sadly there is no prime jds anymore

hes a different fighter now, much slower and muscle packed

he also lost his confidence

I do not thing he was the same fighter. Not physically, and not mentally. He looked completely different to me.

It's the same guy, the only thing that may have been off about him was being a bit rusty and that is expected after a injury and being off for 13 months. That was the time JDS took that long of a lay off.

The only thing that has changed is the way his opponents fought JDS, not the way JDS fights or performs. If you watch his fights from Werdum to Mir, all his opponents offer nothing more then striking which plays to his strength, same with Mark Hunt in between. What was different with Cain 2/3 and Miocic is they offered something more then standing and trading with him, they offered the threat of the take down while giving him a real challenge standing. Lets be honest here......Miocic and Cain are the two best boxers that JDS has faced and add the take down threat it changes everything.

We as fans cant expect the guy to blow through everyone when his opponents start offering a tougher style and fight that challenges him more. Issue with JDS is that his fans and critics dont see this and expect that kind of performance when he was dominated everyone

He gets a lot of heat for that Micoic fight. I really wish that people re-watch that fight because it really was a strong performance from JDS. Miocic tried to apply that Cain gameplan and was successful for 2 rounds as both those rounds could have gone either way. But for some reason people dont see how JDS turned the fight around and didnt let those that same strategy work in rounds 3 to 5. He continued to stuff every takedown (Miocic was 1 of 18 btw) but he got off the cage and didnt get trapped and thats where he started to work his boxing and win the fight. Miocic didnt offer much more till a late charge in round 5.

His fight career and life were permanently shortened by Cain, like the DHT permanently shortened his hair follicles.

Both will never be the same and both are fading away at a rapid pace, never to return the same or at all.

What happened was he lost to Cain, beat everybody else in impressive fashion, and had a close fight against (possibly) one of the few actual new contenders in Stipe, which he won.

That's what happened, and JDS is possibly still the best in the division except Cain.

*cough* Werdum *cough*

But yeh, JDS is still got it, fierce counters and unafraid to stick his chin out. The book is out on him now though and that is why others are learning.

What happened was he lost to Cain, beat everybody else in impressive fashion, and had a close fight against (possibly) one of the few actual new contenders in Stipe, which he won.

That's what happened, and JDS is possibly still the best in the division except Cain.

This.

Stipe is a powerful dude, and even with his best Cain impression he couldn't beat JDS.

Being locked in a cage with Cain Velasquez for an hour is what happened to JDS. Stipe, who tends to get underrated on these boards, was the icing on the cake. Those fights have to had taken a tremendous toll both physically and mentally.

His fight career and life were permanently shortened by Cain, like the DHT permanently shortened his hair follicles.

Both will never be the same and both are fading away at a rapid pace, never to return the same or at all.

can you please send me a private message of the next lottery numbers? Let us try to you use your crystall ball in a more profitable way.

It's the same guy, the only thing that may have been off about him was being a bit rusty and that is expected after a injury and being off for 13 months. That was the time JDS took that long of a lay off.

The only thing that has changed is the way his opponents fought JDS, not the way JDS fights or performs. If you watch his fights from Werdum to Mir, all his opponents offer nothing more then striking which plays to his strength, same with Mark Hunt in between. What was different with Cain 2/3 and Miocic is they offered something more then standing and trading with him, they offered the threat of the take down while giving him a real challenge standing. Lets be honest here......Miocic and Cain are the two best boxers that JDS has faced and add the take down threat it changes everything.

We as fans cant expect the guy to blow through everyone when his opponents start offering a tougher style and fight that challenges him more. Issue with JDS is that his fans and critics dont see this and expect that kind of performance when he was dominated everyone

He gets a lot of heat for that Micoic fight. I really wish that people re-watch that fight because it really was a strong performance from JDS. Miocic tried to apply that Cain gameplan and was successful for 2 rounds as both those rounds could have gone either way. But for some reason people dont see how JDS turned the fight around and didnt let those that same strategy work in rounds 3 to 5. He continued to stuff every takedown (Miocic was 1 of 18 btw) but he got off the cage and didnt get trapped and thats where he started to work his boxing and win the fight. Miocic didnt offer much more till a late charge in round 5.

I rewatched the Miocic fight because of your comment. I don't think the first two rounds could go either way. I think Miocic clearly won the first two rounds. I think the 3rd fight was a clear win for JDS, and round 4 was a toss up. I thought Miocic had the more effective striking in the 4th, but JDS scored the TD and some limited GnP, so he got the nod for the round. JDS clearly won round 5.

I think JDS has phenomenal TD defense. He's always had that.

I wasn't overly impressed with JDS' striking in the fight. I think he has slowed down. He threw a lot of really sloppy punches. His jab was largely garbage. He really doesn't have great striking defense. His head movement is not great, and he tends to back straight up.

Those two rematches with Cain took years off of his shelf life. He also never improved on his defensive boxing.

Still a killer, though I don't really see him getting another shot at the belt. Probably lose a number one contender fight down the road.

I rewatched the Miocic fight because of your comment. I don't think the first two rounds could go either way. I think Miocic clearly won the first two rounds. I think the 3rd fight was a clear win for JDS, and round 4 was a toss up. I thought Miocic had the more effective striking in the 4th, but JDS scored the TD and some limited GnP, so he got the nod for the round. JDS clearly won round 5.

I think JDS has phenomenal TD defense. He's always had that.

I wasn't overly impressed with JDS' striking in the fight. I think he has slowed down. He threw a lot of really sloppy punches. His jab was largely garbage. He really doesn't have great striking defense. His head movement is not great, and he tends to back straight up.

So you pretty much see the fight as I do in most ways. I had Miocic winning the first two rounds, although I did see them as close rounds. Round 4 I saw as a clear JDS round but Miocic did some good work, 3 and 5 like you said were clear. I think that JDS doesnt get the credit he deserves for that fight, he was down 2 rounds and then turned things around not only winning the striking but not letting Stipe's strategy be as effective as 1&2.

His striking wasnt as dominant as before, which is going back to the points a I made that 1. Miocic worked a similar game plan as Cain 2. Miocic is a better boxer then pretty much anyone JDS faced. So of course he may not look as dominant as some of his prior fights. And I mentioned he may have been a bit rusty since he had that long lay off.

His defensive flaws are what they are, everyone has something in their game they need to improve. I just see the losses as a way for JDS to get better, this is how effective fighters take losses and improve. He knew he had to improve his wrestling after Cain 2/3 and he did by going to NU which he spent one camp and there were some good signs from that. Now he wants to improve not only his wrestling but everything which is why he is going to train at American Top Team for the Reem fight.

Back