What happened to JDS being Cain's kyrptonite?

I thought JDS is a black belt in BJJ,

What happened to his BJJ in the fight. He got smothered and didnt recover and was running from Cain's wrestling and ground game.

He needs to go back and work on that or really put an effort in becoming a well rounded fighter in terms of working on other parts of his game as much as he does boxing. Cain took away JDS's boxing with the threat of the takedown and takedowns all fight long. I dont think Cain will be the last guy to smother and take away JDS's boxing, so he should really put some time into working on his entire game.

Last edited:
cain would ko him on their feet in the 3rd match

Fighters like Velasquez will always have their kryptonite in heavy handed monsters like Jds, Overeem, Fedor etc.

He gave out a big beating yesterday but the next fight he can be lying on the canvas again after a single shot.

Dos santos can eat a dozen of cains yet one of his will always be a good nighter for him.

100% this!

Can't really fear a guy who punches you 1000 times and can't put you out...

Cain wins because of rules... that's all RULES... in a REAL fight Cain would gas and then get killed

Fighters like Velasquez will always have their kryptonite in heavy handed monsters like Jds, Overeem, Fedor etc.

He gave out a big beating yesterday but the next fight he can be lying on the canvas again after a single shot.

Dos santos can eat a dozen of cains yet one of his will always be a good nighter for him.

dos santos has arguably the best boxing in mma, and velasquez stood with him and beat him at his own game.

so why would velasquez be scared to stand with anyone else? it seems obvious to me, that cain was simply more cautious this time around, and kept junior guessing on whether he should trade or defend the takedown.

100% this!

Can't really fear a guy who punches you 1000 times and can't put you out...

Cain wins because of rules... that's all RULES... in a REAL fight Cain would gas and then get killed

JDS got dominated, dominated.

Had Cain had a sniff of Sub offense similar to even jon Jones, he probably would have subbed JDS earlier since he had JDS's back a number of times in the fight, a number of times. A few times he had JDS's back with JDS balled up like a kid on the floor, I was wondering what Cain was waiting for, he could of sunk in a sub a few times in the fight.

Also, Cain looked like he was taking his time in that fight, Cain could of pushed the pace harder but he looked like he was being patient in that fight which is smart knowing JDS's power.

Cain won because of his wrestling and won because of his entire game which consists of more then just striking, something that was more dominant then JDS's game which is boxing.

Thats life, JDS will be back but making silly excuses like that does nothing.

I thought JDS is a black belt in BJJ,

What happened to his BJJ in the fight. He got smothered and didnt recover and was running from Cain's wrestling and ground game.

He needs to go back and work on that or really put an effort in becoming a well rounded fighter in terms of working on other parts of his game as much as he does boxing. Cain took away JDS's boxing with the threat of the takedown and takedowns all fight long. I dont think Cain will be the last guy to smother and take away JDS's boxing, so he should really put some time into working on his entire game.

What good would bjj have done at that point? He didn't have the energy to be effective at his main strength, striking. How would he have pulled off a sub?

dos santos has arguably the best boxing in mma, and velasquez stood with him and beat him at his own game.

so why would velasquez be scared to stand with anyone else? it seems obvious to me, that cain was simply more cautious this time around, and kept junior guessing on whether he should trade or defend the takedown.

He didnt just stand there and start trading.
People need to stop making this fight out to be a landslide because if it was a landslide JDS would have been looking like Antonio Silva who couldnt even get up after 1 fucking take down.
What Cain exploited was the fact that JDS doesn't throw punches unless his feet are comfortable and set( Like any heavyhanded boxer does).
He also exploited the fact JDS does not throw punches while being backed up. Cain utilized in the first and second round a similar strategy GSP used on BJ penn.
He drew the Lactic acid to his shoulders with a heavy grappling and clinch match which JDS was not prepared for. This killed the power in his strikes
The pressure he put on JDS and how he changed levels and from striking to grappling made JDS overthink what he was doing and fucked his gameplan.
He was literally catching up every round.
How JDS can come back from this in the Trilogy (they will have a Trilogy if anyone knows how old uncle Dana is) is to utilize more effective tools in the clinch and counter the wrestling with some Judo.
He would also need to be more aggressive with sweeps and a busy guard (Submission attempts).
Was a good fight JDS did not overtrain he wasnt sick nothing like that. Just out performed by a guy with a better gameplan and higher cardio. Shit happens he'll be back we all know it.

You know what, nobody on sherdog knows exactly what will happen in third fight for sure, its forums and opinions.

Reality happened.

he just got lucky in first fight, now we all could see who's the better fighter

JDS got dominated, dominated.

Had Cain had a sniff of Sub offense similar to even jon Jones, he probably would have subbed JDS earlier since he had JDS's back a number of times in the fight, a number of times. A few times he had JDS's back with JDS balled up like a kid on the floor, I was wondering what Cain was waiting for, he could of sunk in a sub a few times in the fight.

Also, Cain looked like he was taking his time in that fight, Cain could of pushed the pace harder but he looked like he was being patient in that fight which is smart knowing JDS's power.

Cain won because of his wrestling and won because of his entire game which consists of more then just striking, something that was more dominant then JDS's game which is boxing.

Thats life, JDS will be back but making silly excuses like that does nothing.

Again, Cain couldn't put Dos Santos out after one thousand punches...

Since he knew first round was his all he had to do was to press Junior against the cage, get him tired and wait the time to fade... just like all greg jackson's fighters...

Really don't think Cain thought about finishing the fight because he knew he couldn't...

That's why I say it's all about the rules... in a real fight we don't wait the round to be over

Cain pushed the pace the entire fights. His cardio was insane.

Back