What happened to comic books?

Im loving the posts about the way some of these gamers smelled

I recall the worst smell I have ever smelled in my life. I was at the shop in ann arbor to pick up a set of wellwishers and there was this dude in there who smelled so bad you could see it coming off of him like pig pen, Shit was so toxic I got a headache and didnt even want to fuck around with magic anymore that night and just wanted to go home and think about how could someone let that happen to themself

Another shop by me has a huge sign on the door that they reserve the right to ask people to leave for hygiene reasons

Mother fuckers make me ashamed to be a magic player some times . Like dude i will set your fucking jace on fire if you dont take a shower and put on some clothes that have never ever been on your funky body before.

These cretins are the reason I almost never play in shop

You should just cast this Warding spell next time you gather

Screen-Shot-2013-10-21-at-12.24.50-PM.png

@Loiosh @Strychnine

Its a major rip off to pay cover price for digital issues with nothing physical to show for it, but that is what I was doing.
I've also taken advantage of big deals on back issues, but yeah, when I needed my fix I needed my fix.

Wait Rama you buy brand new issues digitally. I didn’t know that. And I agree if I’m gonna pay full cover price I want the hard copy.

Tell me some of the new stuff you’ve read. I’m so behind but I kinda wanna read this Infinity Wars summer event and the lead in countdown style book

Also Rama I should clarify something you can read DC Digitally but from books you’ve purchased or their bulk sales. Like Just recently they had a Jim Lee digital sale.

What they don’t have is a marvel unlimited style app that comes with tens of thousands of back issues and new updates every week. They’re not making that either. What a bad business decision for the digital age. This is why Marvel always stays more relevant throughout the decades. They notice trends.

Last edited:

I recall the worst smell I have ever smelled in my life. I was at the shop in ann arbor to pick up a set of wellwishers and there was this dude in there who smelled so bad you could see it coming off of him like pig pen, Shit was so toxic I got a headache and didnt even want to fuck around with magic anymore that night and just wanted to go home and think about how could someone let that happen to themself

Another shop by me has a huge sign on the door that they reserve the right to ask people to leave for hygiene reasons

Mother fuckers make me ashamed to be a magic player some times . Like dude i will set your fucking jace on fire if you dont take a shower and put on some clothes that have never ever been on your funky body before.

I've played magic in a number of different places and think this is a pretty rare and isolated problem, and I'm incredibly sensitive to bad odors.

There was one guy at one store I used to go to who occasionally smelled... Poorly... And he wouldn't be in the store more than a minute before being politely asked to get elsewhere and wash.

I think I've only experienced this twice and it was the same guy both times, and I've visited these shops hundreds maybe thousands of times over the years. The guy in question was heavily medicated, he had a severe psychological imbalance.

In Montreal, our gamers wash.

Wait Rama you buy brand new issues digitally. I didn’t know that. And I agree if I’m gonna pay full cover price I want the hard copy.

Tell me some of the new stuff you’ve read. I’m so behind but I kinda wanna read this Infinity Wars summer event and the lead in countdown style book

Also Rama I should clarify something you can read DC Digitally but not from books you’ve purchased or their bulk sales. Like Just recently they had a Jim Lee digital sale.

What they don’t have is a marvel unlimited style app that comes with tens of thousands of back issues and new updates every week. They’re not making that either. What a bad business decision for the digital age. This is why Marvel always stays more relevant throughout the decades. They notice trends.

I'm close to 2 years behind, but I was buying digital for about 4 to 5 years after my go to shop closed down.
The 2 year layoff will pay off because I should be able to get what I want in trades at a discount.

Edit: and I'm not much of a DC guy so that won't affect me. I'm mostly looking to catch up on Image books - I don't see myself going back to Marvel either.

In Montreal, our gamers wash.

In Detroit Our gamers reek to high heavens and you can find them in almost any shop at almost any time and they usually have to be bad to be asked to go elsewhere . We need a better class of gamer in the D apparently

Also if it helps put the stench of these fools in perspective , I also grew up with punk rocks and the smell of most of them doesnt bother me in the slightest so we arent just talking some bo smell we are talking like an open sewer pipe kind of odor

Im gettin mad thinking about how bad that one dude smelled LOL

When I was a kid, comics were fifteen cents and you could find one of those stands in every corner store. I used to get an allowance of a quarter and I'd go to the store, buy a comic, and a handful of candy.

I stopped buying them when they hit a dollar in the eighties.

There are still quite a few comic shops here in Montreal, but titles are far too expensive.
Ah the good old days. I remember those.

In Detroit Our gamers reek to high heavens and you can find them in almost any shop at almost any time and they usually have to be bad to be asked to go elsewhere . We need a better class of gamer in the D apparently

Also if it helps put the stench of these fools in perspective , I also grew up with punk rocks and the smell of most of them doesnt bother me in the slightest so we arent just talking some bo smell we are talking like an open sewer pipe kind of odor

Im gettin mad thinking about how bad that one dude smelled LOL

Why the hell didn't the stores ask them to leave?

Why the hell didn't the stores ask them to leave?
Money is my guess. I know the foul guy I talked about was going crazy in the case at the time i observed him. I was buying 4 well wishers he was all over the glass case and I assumed thats why he is a more valued custo than I am. I play legacy and am not a regular type 2 player and my guess is that dude was

Money is my guess. I know the foul guy I talked about was going crazy in the case at the time i observed him. I was buying 4 well wishers he was all over the glass case and I assumed thats why he is a more valued custo than I am. I play legacy and am not a regular type 2 player and my guess is that dude was

Wellwisher is back in standard? I haven't played in a few years.

Also, isn't it a ten cent card?

OK, looked it up, it's a couple of bucks. Odd. I have literally never seen that played in tournaments. Pretty sure the only lifegain elf seriously used was Essence Warden.

Based on the fact you said type two and not standard, I'm assuming you've been playing a long time.

When I was a kid there was always a turn style rack of comic books for sale at every grocery store. Where have they gone?

Those were the days...

We have a store chain here called Lewis (sort of like a mix of Walgreen's and Target) and they still sell comics on the turnstiles.

I'm close to 2 years behind, but I was buying digital for about 4 to 5 years after my go to shop closed down.
The 2 year layoff will pay off because I should be able to get what I want in trades at a discount.

Edit: and I'm not much of a DC guy so that won't affect me. I'm mostly looking to catch up on Image books - I don't see myself going back to Marvel either.

I found an amazing site a while back that has had literally every book title I have yet searched for in their database, free. Even Mad Magazine! Every issue.

I am reading through all the classic silver age Marvel titles I could never afford to buy in the collector shops as a youngster. I read a few pages almost every night before bed. Incredibly calming after a stressful day. Nostalgia: Better than vodka or weed!

I found an amazing site a while back that has had literally every book title I have yet searched for in their database, free. Even Mad Magazine! Every issue.

I am reading through all the classic silver age Marvel titles I could never afford to buy in the collector shops as a youngster. I read a few pages almost every night before bed. Incredibly calming after a stressful day. Nostalgia: Better than vodka or weed!

Go on...

Amazon, or go to B&N, they have a section for comics and graphic novels.

Wellwisher is back in standard? I haven't played in a few years.

Also, isn't it a ten cent card?

OK, looked it up, it's a couple of bucks. Odd. I have literally never seen that played in tournaments. Pretty sure the only lifegain elf seriously used was Essence Warden.

Based on the fact you said type two and not standard, I'm assuming you've been playing a long time.

Iceage was new when i began

Yea a housefire set my game back some years and now I just put together decks across the ages dont worry about whats legal and what isnt and just play with friends

the vs decks they put out are my faves. Like to buy 4 and mix and match and play gimmick decks

hate the actual scene

Alara was the last block i could actually play type 2 in and my serious days are way behind me

I love racial weenie pump pump decks,i always did

Tie between urza block and tempest block for my fave sets
least fave ever is masques

I don't follow any currently, but when I did, I had a box at the local comic shop. They noted which I wanted and subscribed to them for me. They also boarded and bagged them for me. Much better than a turn rack at a 7-11.

Now if there is a series I want to read, I get the omnibus online. I don't can't follow stuff closely enough anymore to get collector variant covers and what not.

I kinda miss comics being made on cheaper paper stock, kept the prices down and I'm just nostalgic for that matte feel to the pages. The laminated prints they make now are nice but dropping $10 for two-three comics doesn't sit well with my wallet. They should keep them by the registers at grocery stores, if kids will shell out $5 bucks for a pack of Pokemon cards why not a comic?

I still buy em from a store in town. But I'm not, and have never really been, in to super hero comics. I'm more in to "graphic novel" style comics, crime, noir, sci fi, that kind of thing.

You should check out Richard Stark's Parker:
HC%20Dawrwyn%20Cooke%202.jpg

Marvel Comics went to shit after they were bought by Disney, and raised the price to $4 an issue.

Then, it became even shittier after they've gone full SJW.

marvel_s_sjw_squad_role_call_by_ares12-dbe96qi.jpg

DG7k_w6WAAEA4_l.jpg

DIMsXexUQAA0p-2.jpg

Oh my god, shut the up you whiney baby. Only giant losers post memes like that.

Iceage was new when i began

Yea a housefire set my game back some years and now I just put together decks across the ages dont worry about whats legal and what isnt and just play with friends

the vs decks they put out are my faves. Like to buy 4 and mix and match and play gimmick decks

hate the actual scene

Alara was the last block i could actually play type 2 in and my serious days are way behind me

I love racial weenie pump pump decks,i always did

Tie between urza block and tempest block for my fave sets
least fave ever is masques

I started during Revised/The Dark. If I'd started a year earlier during Unlimited, I would have made an insane fortune. As it was I remember during the first month I was playing seeing an Unlimited Mox Sapphire in a store and thinking people must be crazy paying sixteen bucks for it.

Honestly Rama the best way to go is the digital route. Especially these days

Much cheaper, thousands and thousands of back issues you’d never read unless you have the digital subscription.

The only problems I see

1) you’re always a few months behind unless you pay cover price for new digital issues.

For instance I just read the original Alpha Flight series and I NEVER in a million years would’ve bought all those back issues but on the marvel App I read them all and they’re great.

2) DC doesn’t have a digital platform like marvel unlimited. And they aren’t gonna start any time soon. I assume it’s because they sell tons of paperbacks.

You’re also forgetting the dirty little secret that is online sites that post pirated copies for free. It’s sites like these that hurt the most. Now people don’t even have to wait months for the price drop. Not sure how they don’t get shut down by Marvel and DC.

I love going to my local shop, the people there are friendly and it's a good place. It's just that ONE funk-meister last week! WHEW! I mean we live in Georgia and it's always humid in the Summer, but dang... Respect other people and yourself.

Back