What happened to all the free instructionals during Covid?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
So, Craig Jones were offering some free instructional only during Covid, and I think people were offering bunch more, but I was kinda lazy and never really got to it, other than Rickson Gracie free trial, which for whatever reason changed to 50 percent off or something when I did try to check it out.

What happened to all the free instructionals? Does anyone know if they are still offering?

So maybe you're aware that BJJ fanatics sells instructionals. But are you aware that they have a boatload of free content on youtube? It's just there man. Covid or not.

There is going to be Black Friday sales on bjj fanatics and grapple arts. I just got an email from grapple arts for 50% off. Just sign up to their mailing list to get it. You should probably check out clips on YouTube as others have said to see if you like the teaching style before buying. There is also a lot of good free content on YouTube. Check out the Tristar channel.

Most of the ones you're on about, i.e. Craig Jones Triangles, Faria etc. where only free for a couple of days at the start of the pandemic, now it's business as usual. I may be incorrect but I read somewhere that ATOS and Roger Gracie do 1 week free on their site but you have to cancel after otherwise it's autopay like Amazon Prime etc.

What happened is that plenty of places shut down and there is a significant amount of people that are not coming back to any style of grappling in the near future, because of fear.

Naturally, instructors are now forced to put subscription plans online and charge minimum.

What I personally do, is offer $2 monthly subscription (divided on 5 levels, from Beginner to a Coach) for weekly videos and then the affiliations get annual curriculum, trimester tests, even online seminars.

Situation in my country is different, we dont have severe lockdowns and training was only banned for a few weeks in the spring.
As a matter of fact, I am opening 2 new locations next month, both BJJ.

Thats not the case in a lot of places on the planet though.
Personally, I think we will eventually all get a herd immunity (half of my team and friends already had Covid) and will be done with it in a few months.
Online models will stay as they are right now.
Only people who would put free stuff online would be blue belts, doing 5min entry to a heelhook.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we will eventually all get a herd immunity (half of my team and friends already had Covid) and will be done with it in a few months.

Can't have herd immunity without a vaccine. Transmission rate is too high. Even then, we'd be a mutation or two away from another outbreak.

We're also not sure how long the acquired immunity will last after infection. This new Oxford study is saying six months, but here's a study in the Lancet where they determined a dude with prior exposure got re-infected with a strain that was genetically distinct from the first.

The pneumonia has been scary, but what terrifies me is the lack of clarity surrounding long-term complications. We need more than a year's worth of data, but even then, the heart, lung, kidney, and especially brain damage is what scares me.

I'd rather lose a year of training than a lifetime, ya know?

Don't mean to call you out publicly, you big Bulgarian bag. Hope the girls are well.

Can't have herd immunity without a vaccine. Transmission rate is too high. Even then, we'd be a mutation or two away from another outbreak.

We're also not sure how long the acquired immunity will last after infection. This new Oxford study is saying six months, but here's a study in the Lancet where they determined a dude with prior exposure got re-infected with a strain that was genetically distinct from the first.

The pneumonia has been scary, but what terrifies me is the lack of clarity surrounding long-term complications. We need more than a year's worth of data, but even then, the heart, lung, kidney, and especially brain damage is what scares me.

I'd rather lose a year of training than a lifetime, ya know?

Don't mean to call you out publicly, you big Bulgarian bag. Hope the girls are well.
LOL!
Whatever.
There are thousands of papers on Covid and Corona visures out there, and they are all contradicting.
Meanwhile, half the people I know apparently had it an one point, and never even notice.
I had it back in January, felt like bad hangover for 2 days, while my wife had difficulty breathing for 2 weeks.
The baby, zip.
So, as long as there is no unified global understanding of Covid, Id stick to what I see.

Back