What happened to Aliakbari?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
He went 3-0 in ACA against quality opposition. In 2016, he beat Moldavsky by split decision.

Against Malykhin today he looked stiff, flat footed, and had his soul taken.

Truly one of the biggest hype train crashes outside the UFC in history.

All I can think is that when the UFC signed him he came off the gear and his body hasn't reacted well to going back on it.

Really not sure. He's looked horrible in ONE. He has good wins and has shown that he's capable of better than he's shown. He looks like a different fighter than the one in the past.

Off-topic side note, I'm surprised there are no threads about Rae Yoon Ok. Dude came out of nowhere, beat 3 of ONE's top lightweights (and fighters in general) and is now champion.

Really not sure. He's looked horrible in ONE. He has good wins and has shown that he's capable of better than he's shown. He looks like a different fighter than the one in the past.

Off-topic side note, I'm surprised there are no threads about Rae Yoon Ok. Dude came out of nowhere, beat 3 of ONE's top lightweights (and fighters in general) and is now champion.

A lot of people (me included) didn't think he won.

Perhaps you should read the play by play thread from today.

He went 3-0 in ACA against quality opposition. In 2016, he beat Moldavsky by split decision.

Against Malykhin today he looked stiff, flat footed, and had his soul taken.

Truly one of the biggest hype train crashes outside the UFC in history.

did you watch the fight with Moldavsky? Moldavsky is a 205'er with no wrestling background and he was succesfully neutrilizing Aliakbari's wrestling,

Even in his juiced prime Aliakbary gassed and was almost KO'd when he took a fight against out of shape 50 year old "commentator" Heath Herring who himself was fighting on 24 hours notice..

Aliakbari was always nothing more than a juiced up Gorilla to be sold to the Japanese Audience, I can't actually believe he made it this far to be honest...

Datsik would KO him

did you watch the fight with Moldavsky? Moldavsky is a 205'er with no wrestling background and he was succesfully neutrilizing Aliakbari's wrestling,

Even in his juiced prime Aliakbary gassed and was almost KO'd when he took a fight against out of shape 50 year old "commentator" Heath Herring who himself was fighting on 24 hours notice..

Aliakbari was always nothing more than a juiced up Gorilla to be sold to the Japanese Audience, I can't actually believe he made it this far to be honest...

Datsik would KO him
Come on man. You're normally a better troll than this. Moldavsky is the reigning Bellator HW champion.

I thought he lost to Moldavsky tbh. He got by on physicality, which is a fairly solid strat when you're built like he is, and it seems like his sloppy approach is catching up to him.

The coming off then hopping on PEDs is a plausible theory too.

It seems like ONE has tried to market him, I don’t get why they put him in this match after his last loss. The guy who beat him before, whose name escapes me, should’ve been fighting instead.

not gonna lie, yoon got gifted a decision against lee.

Datsik would KO him
Moldavsky is 2 times World Combat Sambo champ, I am not sure it is right to count him as a fighter without wrestling background.

Datsik would KO him

When you are a silver medalist in olympics in greco,, you are more than a juiced gorilla.

Its a heavyweight and I think someone might be right that he may have come off whatever he was on

A lot of people (me included) didn't think he won.

I saw a lot of people saying they thought Ok won as well. Regardless of what you thought of the decision, he's still been a massive overachiever, just surprised there are no threads about him at all.

Datsik would KO him

Yeah, I watched it. Moldavsky wasn't entirely successful at neutralizing Aliakbari's wrestling, if that were the case, he would have won the fight lol. Either way, you can't really deny the drastic difference between the way he looked back then compared to now.

Aliakbari's problem is that he had no fights for 2 years, and due to COVID restrictions and beeing Iranian with no access to USA camps he trains in Iran with local dudes with very few, or none experienced MMA sparring partners or MMA coaches.

He started with standup late, and he is not natural talent for it, he lacks boxing feeling. Aliakbari has slow hands, and strikes with wide hooks and high chin, and that leaves a lot of space for counter.

But I stll think he can bounce back up and be successful, he needs better training, gameplan and utilizing his advantages of wrestling, ground game and clinch, and improving/hiding his weaknesses.
It will be interesting to see will One keep him, or will Aliakbari find a new organization.

Last edited:
All I can think is that when the UFC signed him he came off the gear and his body hasn't reacted well to going back on it.
Gear users cycle on and off tho but he does looks like he is out of the sauce.

He looks softer weaker and slower.. and the dude is only 33.

Back