What happened in Joshua-Usyk?

jesus...some people need to stop watching and commenting on boxing

it was a good fight, the better boxer won on the night

comparing Joshua to Frank Bruno is a fucking disgrace
Frank Bruno, lol yeah that's a good one. As if big Frank, god bless him, would have conquered even an old Wladimir Klitschko lol
Frank was British level, Joshua is truly world level.

Joshua didn't really have much besides a sniping right hand. He had some success going to the body in the middle rounds. Out boxed and out maneuvered. He felt the power early and didn't want to play a physically imposing style.

If AJ is basic what does that make Wilder?? A guy that only has a jab and a right hand with the worst footwork of all time. Answer that, what is Wilder if AJ is basic?

LOL Is there anybody who denies that Wilder is one of the most flawed and technically deficient championship-level boxers ever?

LOL Is there anybody who denies that Wilder is one of the most flawed and technically deficient championship-level boxers ever?
LOL I just wanted to know what Wilder is seen as if Joshua is basic. What's far below 'basic'?

is it true though that Joshua was leading on the cards before the injury? in the 9th round?

is it true though that Joshua was leading on the cards before the injury? in the 9th round?

What injury...what shit are you trying to lie about?

It was probably pretty even around the 8th round...i dont know what you are trying to start?

I think Joshua's shoulder must have been injured. Result should be overturned to a NC.

no injuries reported, he hasnt complained about nothing, he lost, he was beaten by the better fighter on the night, even if he was injured..it makes no difference, like the crying bastards who still stuck up for Vitali

no injuries reported, he hasnt complained about nothing, he lost, he was beaten by the better fighter on the night, even if he was injured..it makes no difference, like the crying bastards who still stuck up for Vitali
Weird, worked for Lomachenko and Pacquiao.

What I saw was small steps and angles from Usyk. Usyk was pretty much right in front of AJ but he's a more nuanced boxer. He is sharper and could outpunch AJ who is a bit overrated in terms "boxing" skills. AJ has reliable boxing skills and real power, but I feel his power gives people the impression he is more skilled than he is, especially since his KO's never come early. I think AJ thinks too much in there and Usyk didn't which is why Usyk was sharper.

AJ did some nice stuff in the middle, trying to body punch, for example, but the fight was getting away from him by that point, especially since his cardio has never been something to brag about.

AJ can win the rematch. Jab with Usyk more and control the lead foot. Body punch. Think less.

Usyk had the odds stacked against him. Fighting a hometown favourite in his backyard with a superfight on the horizon… Usyk started strong and finished strong. Whenever Joshua began to swing the momentum in his favour, Usyk came back strong the next round. He won rounds big and adjusted when he needed to.

Reactions: HHJ
Honestly, I think a lot of the questions asked here will be more likely answered in the rematch. What an absolutely legendary performance from Usyk though!!! Truly special stuff!!!

The telling fact here for me is that Chisora did better against Usyk than AJ. Even with his limited boxing technique in comparison to AJ, he looked much better in there. This has to come down to game plan, Del had no intention of boxing with Usyk, and also wasn't bothered about getting hit on the way in, he just wanted to ragdoll him. AJ wanted to box with him and looked very concerned about getting hit, it was a recipe for trouble and once AJ produced the goofy grin, that we last saw in the USA, the writing was on the wall.

Could AJ have been more physical? Yes, defo, he should have used body shots from the start. However there's no guarantee this would have changed anything, as Usyk was constantly adapting, even as he was winning rounds, he kept adapting, and thus AJ was left impotent in there. Wonderful performance.

Reactions: HHJ
Is Usyk really good, is Joshua mediocre, did Joshua's camp have the wrong gameplan, or was Usyk just a bad style matchup for Joshua?
Its not just one thing. Its all of those things.
People overrate AJ due to asthetics and wanting him to fit some killer indestructible mold he does not fit. He's more likeable & marketable so people forgave, sugar-coated, & ignored his flaws. When in reality he is as flawed as Wilder.
AJ is a very good fighter but he's not the clear #1 wrecking machine he's made out to be.
Usyk outclassed him and that's with AJ fighting a decent fight. Poor game plan in retrospect but AJ fought well.
Hate to see him go out like that.

It was totally the wrong gameplan. Easy to say in hindsight. Joshua is a decent boxer but Usyk is a master boxer. Joshua tried to box with Usyk and got comprehensively outboxed. He played to Usyks strengths and got humbled. Joshua couldn't land his jab hardly at all. I think it showed that he can't adapt on the fly. It was clear that the strategy they had wasn't working but they carried on until the final bell with that strategy. To sum up I think it's a case of Usyk being really that good.

Pretty much this - AJ didn't use his main advantage, size and power. He tried to outbox the superior boxer, and was taken to school.

AJ is in a weird spot. Clearly a world class talent, but he doesn't have a trade mark style. He can't decide whether he is a power punching monster, or a slick technician - he's good (but not great) at both.

Back