What happened in Joshua-Usyk?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is Usyk really good, is Joshua mediocre, did Joshua's camp have the wrong gameplan, or was Usyk just a bad style matchup for Joshua?

Is Usyk really good, is Joshua mediocre, did Joshua's camp have the wrong gameplan, or was Usyk just a bad style matchup for Joshua?
It was totally the wrong gameplan. Easy to say in hindsight. Joshua is a decent boxer but Usyk is a master boxer. Joshua tried to box with Usyk and got comprehensively outboxed. He played to Usyks strengths and got humbled. Joshua couldn't land his jab hardly at all. I think it showed that he can't adapt on the fly. It was clear that the strategy they had wasn't working but they carried on until the final bell with that strategy. To sum up I think it's a case of Usyk being really that good.

Usyk is really good, Joshua fought to Usyk's strength and was a little too jittery to use his size to bully him.

Chisora's gameplan was a lot better.

To be honest, I think a big part of it is AJ was gun-shy.

So a combination of Usyk being good, AJ having a terrible gameplan and being gun-shy in terms of using his size to bully Usyk,

Usyk had a speed advantage and Joshua essentially fought Usyk's fight.

Usyk started strong and finished strong.

AJ seemed to adjust pretty well in those mid rounds but faded late and blew it in the championship rounds. I was a bit surprised to see Usyk gas a little in those mid rounds but he was able to outlast Joshua, who impressed me with his conditioning, which is usually quite poor.

I thought it was a good fight between two evenly matched fighters.

Usyk is an incredible boxer that had a great game plan. Also Oleksandr Usyk is not Andy Ruiz so he is very likely to win the rematch.
I think the rematch favours Usyk because Joshua will have to have a fundamentally different approach to the fight in a short amount of time. He has to be able to use his size to bully Usyk. I don't know if he can fight like that.

I think the rematch favours Usyk because Joshua will have to have a fundamentally different approach to the fight in a short amount of time. He has to be able to use his size to bully Usyk. I don't know if he can fight like that.
Roy Jones Jr talked about what went wrong and basically Anthony Joshua needed to use his size to bully Usyk.

It was totally the wrong gameplan. Easy to say in hindsight. Joshua is a decent boxer but Usyk is a master boxer. Joshua tried to box with Usyk and got comprehensively outboxed. He played to Usyks strengths and got humbled. Joshua couldn't land his jab hardly at all. I think it showed that he can't adapt on the fly. It was clear that the strategy they had wasn't working but they carried on until the final bell with that strategy. To sum up I think it's a case of Usyk being really that good.

Do you know why he can't adapt? Because he's basic, basic, basic, as I kept trying to tell you over and over again.

Just like I said, he's essentially a 6'6 boxing robot with serviceable fundamentals and little else. He throws the odd predictable counter, but they're not clever or sneaky enough, and an actual elite boxer like Usyk will quickly adapt to them.

As for the topic, what happened is simple - a basic serviceable boxer who is a product of marketing and management as much as anything, was completely and utterly outboxed by an elite boxer. His true level was shown tonight. Just like against Savon, he got schooled. Thankfully it was too 1 sided to rob Usyk, even though one judge obviously tried.

Reactions: HHJ
It was a very competitive fight. I thought after round 8 Joshua had the upper hand if it went to a decision.

AJ's eye injury in the 9th slowed him down to the point where he lost the championship rounds. He could have not only won those rounds but maybe even KOed Uysk if not for the eye.

In fact it was a split draw after 8 rounds:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16246366/anthony-joshua-oleksandr-usyk-scorecard-revealed-eye-injury/
LOL...Usyk beat him to the punch in every sequence....

Do you know why he can't adapt? Because he's basic, basic, basic, as I kept trying to tell you over and over again.

Just like I said, he's essentially a 6'6 boxing robot with serviceable fundamentals and little else. He throws the odd predictable counter, but they're not clever or sneaky enough, and an actual elite boxer like Usyk will quickly adapt to them.
If AJ is basic what does that make Wilder?? A guy that only has a jab and a right hand with the worst footwork of all time. Answer that, what is Wilder if AJ is basic?

It was a very competitive fight. I thought after round 8 Joshua had the upper hand if it went to a decision.

AJ's eye injury in the 9th slowed him down to the point where he lost the championship rounds. He could have not only won those rounds but maybe even KOed Uysk if not for the eye.

In fact it was a split draw after 8 rounds:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16246366/anthony-joshua-oleksandr-usyk-scorecard-revealed-eye-injury/

I think this assessment is 100% incorrect.

Usyk showed that he can start early and that indications of his defensive shortcomings, especially early in fights, were a little overblown. I actually thought Joshua's stamina was much better than I expected and that if he stuck to his body work things might've been different, but he's not a special fighter. The Frank Bruno comparisons aren't entirely wrong.

jesus...some people need to stop watching and commenting on boxing

it was a good fight, the better boxer won on the night

comparing Joshua to Frank Bruno is a fucking disgrace

Usyk is the probably the most decorated boxer this century. I'd say he's pretty good.

joshua isn't overrated, he's still an excellent boxer.

but usyk is a special talent and it showed last night. i thought the fight had some nice back and forth changes in momentum - it was a terrific fight... but usyk still beat him pretty comfortably, simply because he's easily the best boxer in the divison.

Back