What game plan would you devise to beat Wilder?

Fight close, don't let him breath.

Start fast--skip the feeling out period.

And most importantly: wear a helmet.

Go Holyfield or Steward Wlad on him. You will get hit at some point, just make sure you’ve done more damage before.

Probably look to seal his sledgehammer he tries to pass off as his right had. If I had the chin and punching power of a guy like David Tua with the volume of a Jarrell Miller, I would try to be on his ass like a fly on shit so as to not give him the range to load up that right hand. A guy like that would be a nightmare for Wilder who has basically 2 punches, a right straight and a jab he uses to set it up with. From what he's shown us, he lacks the ability to complete with a world class fighter if that right is somehow taken out of the picture.

Punch him in the face, genius.

(Obviously depends on what your strengths/weaknesses/body type is)

You're not gonna devise the same game plan if you were training David Tua to beat Wilder as opposed to training Vitali Klitschko.
tua would destroy wilder, as would tyson.

Depends. If you are a boxer, try to be perfect for 12 rounds is really all you can do.
If you have a hard punch, i would advice you to go in there and throw bombs from the first second on. Dont give Wilder rounds so he can figure you out and time you with his big right hand, just throw hard from the beginning, try to take him out early. I suspect Wilders chin is weak. Thats why he never faced a true puncher before. So kill him before he kills you.

Yeah I agree. You need to knock him the fuck out. Ortiz almost had him in the first fight but was too shot and old to finish him. Wilder has been stopped before, he can be stopped again.
Too shot and old? He beat the fucking hell out of him for an entire round and couldnt get him out before he recovered. What about that indicated “too shot and old” other than you just wanting to discredit Wilder yet again?

Wilder needs to be roughed up a bit imo.

Basically anybody in the top 10-20 can outbox him for a bit, but without hurting the guy you’re just giving him more time to land that right and once is enough.
Whyte and Chisora are the only two people with the sack and/or are mental enough to bring it to Wilder and see who drops first.

Unfortunately for them I dont think either has the chin to take what comes in return. But those two would both try to take that route imo.

Too shot and old? He beat the fucking hell out of him for an entire round and couldnt get him out before he recovered. What about that indicated “too shot and old” other than you just wanting to discredit Wilder yet again?
I'm using the exact same adjectives that were aimed at Wlad when he couldn't finish off AJ except that Ortiz was probably a lot older than Wlad. Ortiz blew his wad in that round. A younger man would have recovered much better.

I'm using the exact same adjectives that were aimed at Wlad when he couldn't finish off AJ except that Ortiz was probably a lot older than Wlad. Ortiz blew his wad in that round. A younger man would have recovered much better.
The wild speculations continue with no base.

Everyone thought highly of Ortiz until Wilder ktfo him. Then everyone wants to write him off and make excuses.

Everyone thought highly of Ortiz until Wilder ktfo him. Then everyone wants to write him off and make excuses.

I agree, Wilder was even given 20 seconds to recover at the beginning of the next round. Ortiz should have won right there, but Wilder made it even out of that! GO WILDER !

There were plenty of people who raised Ortiz's age as a concern before that fight. Just off the eye test he did not look 38 when he fought Wilder the first time. And he performed like an aged fighter when he couldn't mount a decent effort in the round after he got Wilder hurt. The same criticisms that got levelled at Joshua for fighting Klitschko apply just the same in this case except that Wilder then went and rematched an aging fighter. And do you really think accusations about his age are groundless? Do you forget that he was listed as having an 84" reach before the first Wilder fight but that turned out to be just 78". And that doesn't make you suspicious about his age although he's looks a good ten years older than he says he is? C'mon man!

There were plenty of people who raised Ortiz's age as a concern before that fight. Just off the eye test he did not look 38 when he fought Wilder the first time. And he performed like an aged fighter when he couldn't mount a decent effort in the round after he got Wilder hurt. The same criticisms that got levelled at Joshua for fighting Klitschko apply just the same in this case except that Wilder then went and rematched an aging fighter. And do you really think accusations about his age are groundless? Do you forget that he was listed as having an 84" reach before the first Wilder fight but that turned out to be just 78". And that doesn't make you suspicious about his age although he's looks a good ten years older than he says he is? C'mon man!
Ive also been told that Fury is 6’9” and then is nearly eye to eye with fighters known to be about 6’5”. I guess Fury must be 60 years old.

Absolutely ridiculous and absolutely baseless. Its entirely pathetic.

I’d fight him like akinwamde vs Lennox Lewis. And claim
That wilder is a coward and was holding me.

Ive also been told that Fury is 6’9” and then is nearly eye to eye with fighters known to be about 6’5”. I guess Fury must be 60 years old.

Absolutely ridiculous and absolutely baseless. Its entirely pathetic.

You are pathetic taking it to ludicrous extremes. Fury looks half an inch taller than Wilder which makes him 6'7.5". Hardly a world away from his claimed 6'9". But Ortiz' s reach was listed as 86" when it was only 78"! That's half a fucking foot but you think the wouldn't lie about his age by that much?! Lol you are being very naive.

Just a matter of time until Ike Ibeabuchi gets released and KO’s Wilder...<45>

You are pathetic taking it to ludicrous extremes. Fury looks half an inch taller than Wilder which makes him 6'7.5". Hardly a world away from his claimed 6'9". But Ortiz' s reach was listed as 86" when it was only 78"! That's half a fucking foot but you think the wouldn't lie about his age by that much?! Lol you are being very naive.
Its comedy that you think broadcasts announcing someones measurements wrong, like they do literally all the time, is somehow equal to this conspiracy theory of Ortiz being 50.

Its nothing more than the same group of people looking for any and every chance to discredit Wilder.

Its comedy that you think broadcasts announcing someones measurements wrong, like they do literally all the time, is somehow equal to this conspiracy theory of Ortiz being 50.

Its nothing more than the same group of people looking for any and every chance to discredit Wilder.
Nah it's just common sense, the guy looks much older than forty. People have always questioned his age.

And name me another example, just an equivalent, of someone getting their reach wrong by 6 whole inches?

Nah it's just common sense, the guy looks much older than forty. People have always questioned his age.

And name me another example, just an equivalent, of someone getting their reach wrong by 6 whole inches?
How come no one has a shred of evidence about this age nonsense? Because its bullshit thats why.

How come no one has a shred of evidence about this age nonsense? Because its bullshit thats why.
Because it's extremely hard to prove Cuban nationals age. Cuban professional sportsmen are known for lying about their age to increase their value. You're being naive now. Even Wilder himself said Ortiz looks more like 45.

Last edited:
Back