What game plan would you devise to beat Wilder?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Considering his massive reach, the fact that he doesn't get tired, his power never goes away no matter what round, how on earth do you beat him?

If he makes contact just once with that right hand it's over.

Punch him in the face, genius.

(Obviously depends on what your strengths/weaknesses/body type is)

You're not gonna devise the same game plan if you were training David Tua to beat Wilder as opposed to training Vitali Klitschko.

Box and move simple.

Punch him in the face, genius.

If you engage you right away run the risk of getting caught, which is exactly what happened to Ortiz (not your boy on the avatar) both times

If i was trainer for an opponent of Wilder i would have my guy attack the body 1st and foremost.

You need to take away his long range missile, so that's why going to the body right away is crucial. 1. You get in close to smother his long punches and 2. wear him down, break his will.

Clinching after body shots and make the ref separate you every time....and hold all weight on his shoulders. Just wear him down. Drag him down a couple times even, risk getting a point deduction because he's not winning a 12 round boxing match.

Later in the fight you can start timing Wilders jabs but DO NOT fuck with that bullshit when he's got a full tank of gas. Save the skill work for the 2nd half of the fight, then you can theoretically start pulling away on the scorecards.

Basically just make it a brawl in a phone booth until he fades a little, then you piece him up with actual skills.

Body work and a football helmet.

Wilder needs to be roughed up a bit imo.

Basically anybody in the top 10-20 can outbox him for a bit, but without hurting the guy you’re just giving him more time to land that right and once is enough.

Wilder needs to be roughed up a bit imo.

Basically anybody in the top 10-20 can outbox him for a bit, but without hurting the guy you’re just giving him more time to land that right and once is enough.
Yeah I agree. You need to knock him the fuck out. Ortiz almost had him in the first fight but was too shot and old to finish him. Wilder has been stopped before, he can be stopped again.

If i was trainer for an opponent of Wilder i would have my guy attack the body 1st and foremost.

You need to take away his long range missile, so that's why going to the body right away is crucial. 1. You get in close to smother his long punches and 2. wear him down, break his will.

Clinching after body shots and make the ref separate you every time....and hold all weight on his shoulders. Just wear him down. Drag him down a couple times even, risk getting a point deduction because he's not winning a 12 round boxing match.

Later in the fight you can start timing Wilders jabs but DO NOT fuck with that bullshit when he's got a full tank of gas. Save the skill work for the 2nd half of the fight, then you can theoretically start pulling away on the scorecards.

Basically just make it a brawl in a phone booth until he fades a little, then you piece him up with actual skills.

I was thinking about brawling since it locks down the distance for his right hand to do any damage. But then again, you will get hurt a lot with that strategy.

Punch him in the nuts, it's the best way to sap his power.

Back