What fight really caught your eye and got you interested in MMA/ UFC?

Been watching UFC since UFC 1 seen the whole event, but I was young and not addicted like I am now. I was one of those guys who got a call from his brother to turn into Spike to watch Forrest vs Bonnar. Caught it after the end of the first round. Was hooked hardcore after that.

Prior I never really seen, or payed attention to the structure of the 3 5 minute round. I really liked that system a lot more than "until the fight if over".

Surprised this isn't a response more in this thread. Hrmm who would've thunk it.

Gene Lebell v Milo Savage! Ha ha, I joke, the first one I actually saw was K Flo v Joe Stevenson, I thought choking was unfair! The one that got me hooked was Forrest v Anderson, I walked away convinced Anderson could take a prime Roy Jones! :D

The first fights I remember seeing was Wanderlei in pride. I was hooked instantly

I used to see ufc after wrestling on spike and I thought it was a wwe ripoff having no idea it was real until I saw baby jay beat the piss outta Joe daddy

lol yeah that woulda been an eye opener if you were assuming it was fake. theatrical value taken to the next level!

It's cool to see people who got into the sport at a bunch of different points. A lot of great fights here.

My first PPV was UFC 49. I was super impressed with Randy's domination of Belfort. When I saw Arlovski vs. Sylvia 1 I knew I was gonna be a fan, then the very next event was Hughes vs. Trigg 2 so it was sealed at that point.

TUF 1 started right around that time too plus the 2005 MW GP in Pride. Just a great time in MMA.

Fedor vs Choi Hong Man

Same for me. I had watched the occasional UFC fight with friends and knew who some of the guys were but never really got that interested until I happened upon this fight on HDNet (RIP). At first I was just going to watch to see this huge Asian guy beat down the little Russian and it was disconcerting hearing the announcers say that guy was the best fighter in the world and should run through him.

Did Karate, and anybody is a GI or remotely looked like martial arts stuff, I watched. So when I was 9, I saw the first UFC on a spanish channel and saw a cage, gi, and throwing some kicks, then that was that, I watched. But again, I would watch ISKA and kickboxing on the ESPN2, so that was that.

Yes, as a karate guy I also was pulled to mma a bit because of that.

Ken Shamrock - Patrick Smith

As a kid, I knew how to box, avoid getting kick, what a kimura was (but I didn't know what it was called), the general concept of two arms on one, a RNC,basic judo throw/trips and the importance of stamina. Most of these things could be found in Marine Hand-to-Hand Combat manuals. When Shamrock took Smith down without Smith landing anything, Shamrock landed in the Smith's guard (yes, Smith had a guard in UFC 1. Smith's guard was interesting, even though he couldn't do anything from it, because it showed that a guy with Shamrock's power could be locked down BUT the real eye-opener was the lock that blew-out Smith's knee. What was that?

Obviously, you had Royce in UFC 1 too. Anyone who knew about Olympic wrestling had to be thinking that Royce wouldn't hold-up in the long term. Within a year or so it seemed obvious that once Olympic wrestlers entered the UFC, and had some training defending triangles and arm bars that Royce was going to be lose on a regular basis.

Maybe you should go look at Royce's record. Only lost to one wrestler, and he never went to the Olympics. The gracie killer and the amazing Matt Hughes are his only losses. Hell, he has more draws than he does losses.

Evan Tanner vs. Valeri Ignatov at UFC 19. Brutal GnP by Evan, RIP warrior.

I was a huge k-1 fan from 1994 on. When pride started i was aware of it but found it boring in the beginning. We had it on eurosport. I started really watching when crocop crossed over. I believe it was vs heath. From then on I watched every pride and got hold of the older tapes.

Maybe you should go look at Royce's record. Only lost to one wrestler, and he never went to the Olympics. The gracie killer and the amazing Matt Hughes are his only losses. Hell, he has more draws than he does losses.

Agreed. He only lost twice.

However it is interesting if you look at Kimo. Royce was a wake up call for everyone. Kimo, almost 1 year after his loss to Gracie (by 1 day) won his first match by submission with a rear naked choke. Live and learn.

i already knew what it was because of UFC 2010, bu this was back in the time when Brock was UFC's posterboy and i couldnt take a sport where a former pro wrestler was a champ serious(i was 13 so gimme a break) i also saw alot of stuff that just didnt really do it for me(fighters like Abott the fat brawler for example, i had no idea that you actually had technical strikers in mma, i thought it was just two tattood muscular guys who were puncing each other while being on the floor and trying to break each other limbs, and bleed all over the place while doing it) i was a fan of Fight movies and HK cinema and the only combat sport i really enjoyed watching was kickboxing(K-1).
But then i saw an Anderson Silva HL and i was like Wow, this sport actually seems kinda cool.
then i watched Silva vs Griffin and i was completely hooked on the sport lol.

I was perplexed watching Royce in UFC 1 (vhs). I didn't really pay attention to mma after that until Chuck-Tito. That's when I started following mma in earnest.

Dan Severn v. Anthony Macias

*First viewing was UFC 4 on VHS

although I had watched mma fights before this, the rampage vs. chuck II got me into mma more than any other fight did before

Back