what exercise is most often done horribly incorrectly?

Bench press easily.

Definitely the benchpress.

People that benchpress using a barbell that is too short for the rack leading to an uneven weight distribution and the inevitable crash of plates on the floor. I've seen the same thing happen with people who have horrendous hand placement like having the left hand on the smooth part of the barbell and the right hand outside the ring.

This uneven gripping is something many beginners do. But i dont get it. You dont need to be an expert to know, that you should have a even grip. Are they just stupid?

After Fat's bench press story I will give mine. As a sophomore in HS I weighed about 155lbs. A wrestling team was unheard of so I played football. Our afternoon workout consisted of warming up to a one rep max and then dropping to do sets that got lighter and lighter. Because I did so little at the school and did not know any better, I usually went home and lifted. One day, only myself and my mother were at home and my mother had went outside. My standard bar had those nice screw on plate holders on the end. After failing to lift the weight, and failing to yell loud enough for my mother, I reached out and unscrewed the holder and let the weights on one side slide off. Needless to say, I always have someone around when lifting now.

Chrono said:
Definitely the benchpress.

People that benchpress using a barbell that is too short for the rack leading to an uneven weight distribution and the inevitable crash of plates on the floor. I've seen the same thing happen with people who have horrendous hand placement like having the left hand on the smooth part of the barbell and the right hand outside the ring.
Yes, this always confused me too. How could you not know to place your hands evenly on the bar. I mean, that is just an utter lack of common sense.

Well, I work at a gym, and the lift I most often see butchered is the very metro cable curl.

What's worse is even after I explain to people, "No, your elbow has to be the fulcrum, it shouldn't move," 10 minutes later they're at it again, working out every muscle in their body swinging the bar up except the metro muscle they're after.

thecas said:
Why cant he be intentionally working out his back muscles, like those which will help you pull a heavy bag r something, where it is not possible to push?

Because he's using momentum and rocking it back with his lower back and hips.

Saw an old guy doing bicep curls today with a tiny weight. He kept his elbow stiff at about 90 degrees and moved the weight using his shoulder panting all the while. Bless.

The gym I go to on Fridays is metro heaven - machines, curls and crunches are the order of the day. I have to sign out the only barbell - presumably they think people are going to run off with it. Staff went off at me today for knocking a shelf and spilling someone's drink that they'd left unfastened. I just pretended not to understand. Muppets.

aha, you workout in japan. there's been pages and pages of crazy shit that happens in gyms in japan. every crazy old man and woman in the community is there. and they're all doing something weird.

I had a highschool kid do "drop" sets on squats, going down 2lbs at a time. he was messing around with these little paper thin weight plates they only have in japan. he spent over hour, and took a couple of minutes in between sets. he started at 150lbs, and went all the way down to 50lbs. I was there for an hour, he was squating when I arrived, and was still doing it when i left.

in japan, the bench, curl, and lat pull down are most often done wrong. reason? it's the only thing 99% of Japanese guys do. they wear weight belts all the time, even when doing crunches(seriously). there's a few big rugby guys and bodybuilders, and a few arm wrestlers who know what they're doing. but physical education in japan is stuck in the 1950's. For a warm up, they bounce stretch. i don't think i've ever seen a japanese guy do a bench press with his back flat, always his hips are WAY up in the air. and often they wear spandex. imagine, if you will, a japanese man, straining to push the bar off his chest, his hips thrusting into the air, his pink and black spandex doing their best to contain what's within...

this one guy who only ever did bench and curls offered me a candy in the change room. i was just taking my pants off, when he reached out and said "candy?". i froze. it's still in the bottom of my gym bag, as a reminder...

I wrote a longer reply to oyaji poi (love the name) but my computer ate it.

The spandex is weird as.

There's a woman at my gym who comes in and racks the maximum weight on the machines then cheats her way through the exercises, screaming all the way. Mental.

most community gyms in japan still have those vibrating belt machines from the 60's.
we had an older lady who would come in and instead of putting the belt around her wast and ass, she would put it around her head and get in a "horse" stance. she was banned, but would sneak in through a side door.

What do those vibrating belt machines do, ive seen them before on tv but never understood them, matbe the old lady wanted to put the belt between her legs but she thougthh people were looking.

deffiantly bench press like when guys think there so big and strong and add 200 more pounds then they can actually do

Back