What does your week training schedule look like?

Wow most of you guys train alot more than me! I guess there are alot of college kids on this forum.

I have a wife and a kid, going to be 35 in a few months and I train bjj twice a week on most weeks, and lift weights twice a week on most weeks. If I go to bjj 3 times out of the week than that is a good week for me! I spend probably 2-3 hours a week watching instructionals on my portable tv at work when there is down time!

The funny thing is from the perspective of most bjj players on this forum they will say that twice a week is nothing and you can't get better only going twice a week. I disagree I find that I am constantly improving even at 2 days a week!

The only problem is that when it comes time for competition despite improving you will be at a disadvantage, I feel most guys at these comps train an average of 5 days a week. I promised myself when I compete again I will at least go on a 3-4 month run of going 4 times a week. That has not happened yet and that is why I have not competed lately!

i agree. i find at 2-3 per week i am always fresh and mentally excited to go. as long as i keep up with outside conditioning and stretching, i'm good

Mon: Cardio (running)
Tues: Cardio/MMA
Wed: rest
Thurs: Cardio/MMA
Fri: Cardio (running)
Sat: Cardio/MMA
Sun: Sleep/Eat

I have no diet. eat a cake,cookies,hamburgers,chicken, hell everything. i never really had trouble with maintaining weight so I basically eat whatever the hell i want

Weights on Monday, Wednesday, Friday according to Bill Starr's 5 x 5 strength program.
Hanging leg raises, weighted crunches, cardio on Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday.

BJJ:
Monday: off
Tuesday: 4 hrs
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 2 hrs
Friday: off
Saturday: 2 hrs
Sunday: 2 hrs

i'm in grad school right now, so it looks different during the semester...

During classes:
M - stand up, 2 hours
tu - cardio, 2-3 mile run
w - stand up, 2 hours
th - off
f - bjj, 2 hours
sa - mt/bjj/cardio/conditioning, 3 hours
su - off

no classes:
M - stand up, 2 hours
tu - bjj, 2 hours
w - stand up, 2 hours
th - bjj, 2 hours
f - off
sa - mt/bjj/cardio/conditioning, 3 hours
su - off

this schedule doesn't include all the sex i have with my wife post workout... Primarily because that never happens.

hahahaha!

S:rest
M:1h Beginner grappling
T:1h Advanced grappling, 1h Wrestling
W:1h Beginner grappling
T:1h Advanced grappling, 1h MMA
F: 2.5 h boxing
S:1+hour grappling

Boxing is also on mondays and wednesdays at like 8h30, but I work so there's no way your'e gonna see me sparring till 11 pm 3 times a week. I fucked up my elbow a couple months ago so I haven't been doing full weeks, bu expect to do so starting tomorrow.

Mon:
AM - Teach BJJ, Cardio
PM - BJJ

Tuesday:
AM - BJJ
PM - BJJ

Wed:
AM - Teach BJJ, Cardio
PM - BJJ

Thursday:
AM - BJJ
PM - BJJ

Friday:
AM - Teach BJJ
PM - BJJ Specific Training only

Saturday:
Rest or compete if an option

Sunday:
Rest

I work 12-5:30 during the week and all day Sunday. The 2 days of rest really help me recover and have worked well. I used to train on Saturdays but it didnt work so well for my body.

It could include BJJ/WRESTLING/NO GI/THAI/WEIGHTS/CARDIO/ETC.

Here's a look at my schedule:
S: Rest
M: Starting Judo tomorrow
T: BJJ
W: Judo
T: BJJ
F: Sprint/agility drills
S: Thinking about adding Wrestling in here

I might add some functional training twice a week as well.

S: Workout
M: Muay Tha/BJJ/ Workout
T: MMA/ Workout
W:Muay Thai/ Kali, BJJ/workout
T: MMA/ Workout
F: Muay Thai/Boxing/Yoga
S BJJ, Muay Thai, Yoga

I think I'm going to start freestyle on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Make myself a beast on the ground.

I'm a 32 yr old project manager at an IT company and work 45-60 hour weeks depending on what quarter we are in, in the fiscal year. I'm also in a relationship, but my gf actually loves that I train and finds my passion for it to be attractive. On top of this I have 3 dogs that I have to walk twice a day (I know it doesn't mean much to some but walking dogs takes some time out of your day especially 3 of them).

The upside is that I am lucky enough to have convinced my boss to let me work remotely (work from home) full time.

With that said, with some planning and time management you can still get in decent work out and training sessions at the gym/bjj school.

Here's my schedule:

Monday: Weightlifting during lunch (Weighted Pull Ups, Squats, Bench. All 5x5)
BJJ at night 1.5 hours

Tuesday: BJJ in morning 1 hour

Wednesday: Weightlifting during lunch (Weighted Pull Ups, Deadlifts, Bench. All 5x5)
BJJ at night 1.5 hours

Thursday: BJJ in morning 1 hour

Friday: Weightlifting during lunch (Weighted Pull Ups, Squats, Bench. All 5x5)

Saturday: BJJ 1.5 hours

Sunday: Rest

Total: 3xWeightlifting, 5xBJJ sessions weekly.

People ask as well how one keeps from burning out with some of the schedules posted here. I'm a firm believer in getting plenty of rest (8-9 hours of sleep means going to bed early), eating healthy, and supplementing (including pre training dextrose/bcaa/creatine, during work out drink of sucrose/dextrose, sodium, water (gatorade, i prefer powder form and mix to my taste. premade gatorade is too sweet for me) and post training drink of protein, bcaa's, and beta alanine). Not to mention fish oil, zinc, and vitamin supplements.

Being athletes, regardless if you're training for abu dhabis or you're a casual, the performance you get out of your body is only as good as the fuel you put into it.

Very informative thread though.

I just started Judo, which I'm pretty stoked about. Right now, this is what my schedule looks like.

Sunday: Judo 2pm-4pm
Monday: BJJ 6pm-8pm
Tuesday: Judo 8pm-10pm
Wednesday: BJJ 6pm-8pm
Thursday: Judo 8pm-10pm
Friday: Rest day, light cardio and bodyweight exercises
Saturday: BJJ 6pm-8pm

Monday: (4:30 - 8:00) Basic BJJ, Grappling Circuit, Drilling.
Tuesday: (4:30 - 8:00) Basic Kickboxing, Intermediate BJJ, Weight Lifting.
Wednesday: Off.
Thursday: (4:30 - 8:00) Intermediate BJJ, Basic Kickboxing, Weight Lifting.
Friday: (4:30 - 8:00) Basic BJJ, Grappling Circuit, Drilling.
Saturday: Off.
Sunday: Off.

Hopefully will be adding Boxing to my schedule.

S - Nothing
M - Nothing
T - BJJ 7pm - 9pm
W - BJJ 7pm - 9pm
R - Nothing
F - BJJ 7pm - 9pm
S - Nothing

No job, no income, limited gas money, can't go back to school till the summer, gotta drive a half hour to train so I limit myself to training 4 times a week (sometimes I'll go Monday or Thursday). I may be able to train a lot more soon due to some "help".

mon-boxing 2
tue-mma 1.5
wed-kickboxing/grappling 1.5 ea
thu-grappling/kickboxing 1.5 ea
fri-rest
sat-rest
sun-grappling 4

I'm a firm believer in getting plenty of rest (8-9 hours of sleep means going to bed early)

i think this is where a lot of people struggle the most (myself included). Sleep is the best recovery. Better than any supplement or any training protocol.

Back