What does this mean?

Mike O'Neil

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
My instructor has a black belt. It has a large red stripe on it prob about 2in wide. Does this mean he is like a second level black or something. If so I thought they would have put a white stripe on it. Any help is appreciated

For BJJ, I believe that a black belt who teaches gets to wear a black belt with the red part.
This is different from a black belt who doesn't teach, who thus doesn't get to wear the red part.
The red part is where the stripes go.

I may be wrong.
I am sure someone will correct me if that is the case.

Most bjj belts have a large black stripe on one end. This is where they place the white stripes, your in between belt progression...

Rather than a large black stripe instructors can have a Red one. This is common on black belts, but I have seen a brown belt with the red stripe too.

Basicly if there is no white stripe on the Red it means that your instructor hasn't recieved any further promotion past his black. The red stripe in itself doesn't signify any thing other than he is an instructor... but come to think of it I dont think I've seen black belts with anything other than red... guess if your black your automaticly considered an instructor.

Example; A blue belt with a black stripe is not just a place to put degrees of the blue but a reminder of his commetment to train till he is a black belt.

Red belt is a master, the red stripe is a place to desplay the degrees and to remind him to strive to add the degrees and train till he is a master.

Clearly an encouragement to continue to strive. The Balck belt dosnt mean you have arrived, it is just a highly cellebrated step in your continued journey for those who make it their lifestyle and not just a hoby.

every martial art/style is different about its stripes.

so i can't help u sorry

OldSkool said:
Example; A blue belt with a black stripe is not just a place to put degrees of the blue but a reminder of his commetment to train till he is a black belt.

Red belt is a master, the red stripe is a place to desplay the degrees and to remind him to strive to add the degrees and train till he is a master.

Clearly an encouragement to continue to strive. The Balck belt dosnt mean you have arrived, it is just a highly cellebrated step in your continued journey for those who make it their lifestyle and not just a hoby.
In 1967, Alvaro, Helio, Jo

Back