What does the majority of the youth of today aspire to be? Boxer or MMA fighter?

so you think if they offered a scholarship for boxing guys like b-hop, james toney, winky wright, etc. who can't even speak proper english would get accepted? rofl. Go watch those "I am a fighter" promos on youtube most of them got kicked out of school and took up boxing because of that rofl.

And they don't offer scholarships for boxing because it is not a popular sport and would generate ZERO revenue for the school.

Tell that to the football team, and I'm sure the marketing department could gather some crowds.

Also, Teddy Roosevelt boxed in University. Am I missing something?

I boxed at the rec center attached to my middle school...

People are inspired by their options.. if all there is is a bunch of mma gyms around ... the people will train mma.. if all there is is a bunch of boxing gyms, the people will train boxing.. if all there is is a bunch of fat chicks around, the people will choose the one with the fewest rolls and go to town.

The kids these days wanna play in the NFL. That's where the best money and all the fame is.

The number of kids who train from an early age to be boxers is greater than the number of kids that train to be Mixed Martial Artists, but the number of kids who train wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai that will have MMA as a possible option to them will soon outweight the number of kids avaliable to boxing.

I would say kids these days aspire to be the best that they can be at call of duty, and to achieve levels of prestige that are almost impossible to accomplish

I'm from a middle class suburb of Detroit, and all the people my age(going on 20) or younger want to be mma fighters..... Or should I say "UFC fighters"...

At least the dozens that I've talked to.

Tell that to the football team, and I'm sure the marketing department could gather some crowds.

Also, Teddy Roosevelt boxed in University. Am I missing something?

you really think college kids would PAY to watch amateur boxing lol? :icon_lol:

You can't even get college kids to buy boring ppv like pac v. clottey

fuckin tight, so cool to belong to a camp that put plaster in a guys gloves, fuckin tight. it's cool to support cheaters of the worst kind!! yea, fuckin tight!

nice dubs btw, tool, are those your kids, y u mad?

supporting cheaters and acting like retards is cool, lets post it on youtube! ignorant, uneducated, retards.

GhettoBall.jpg

Nice edit, but I've got a feeling that you may actually be a little more mad than I am.

LetUrFeelingsOut

Most kids dont aspire to be MMA fighters from the start. Most people start training MMA when they are in their 20's after wrestling in highschool, etc.

How often do you see 7 year olds in an MMA gym? They are either mid 20 year olds to middle aged business men

you really think college kids would PAY to watch amateur boxing lol? :icon_lol:

You can't even get college kids to buy boring ppv like pac v. clottey

Well yeah, you put on a fight on campus a friday night, people are going to go. 10$ or a similar affordable price for a social event would make it a hit.

the only people that get into boxing now days are those that are too small or too dumb to learn plays in football, or stay eligible in high school

What you fail to understand is the mentality of wanting to be an athlete in an individual sport versus being an athlete who participates in a team sport. Most people would rather have all the glory go to them rather than share it with teammates. In an individual sport you have much more control over whether you win or lose than you do in a team sport where you have to rely on your teammates to not lose the contest.

We don't have any accurate way of measuring whether more kis are getting into boxing or MMA right now but the most important thing is the trend - not what it is happening today. If you look at the steady increase that MMA is making it's clear to see that MMA is on the way to overtaking boxing in the number of kids who want to get into it, if it hasn't already overtaken boxing. There is no doubt that MMA is growing faster than boxing.

so you think if they offered a scholarship for boxing guys like b-hop, james toney, winky wright, etc. who can't even speak proper english would get accepted? rofl. Go watch those "I am a fighter" promos on youtube most of them got kicked out of school and took up boxing because of that rofl.

And they don't offer scholarships for boxing because it is not a popular sport and would generate ZERO revenue for the school.
No that is not what I am saying, there are a lot of uneducated guys in all sports, and uneducated kids in college who are getting a free ride and all the easy classes just so they can play in the games because the school knows they are not educated enough to take real classes, I think Duke's basketball team got in trouble for this. But if you were to offer scholar ships to boxers, I bet the boxers would make more of an effort in school.

Haven't read the thread but shall we compare salaries?

I'd rather make millions instead of thousands.

Haven't read the thread but shall we compare salaries?

I'd rather make millions instead of thousands.

How many boxers make millions? Ufc and sf fighters make more than almost all boxers except the top .05 percent.

And that's a fail comparison anyway, aspiring athletes don't want to be boxers they want real sport money from football or basketball where you make big bucks for 10+ years plus huge endorsement money, plus tv face time regularly, not just a few times a year. When was the last time you saw a boxer on a commercial?

Its only after they realize they can't cut it at those sports they end up at a boxing gym

Last edited:
How many boxers make millions? Ufc and sf fighters make more than almost all boxers except the top .05 percent.

And that's a fail comparison anyway, aspiring athletes don't want to be boxers they want real sport money from football or basketball where you make big bucks for 10+ years plus huge endorsement money, plus tv face time regularly, not just a few times a year. When was the last time you saw a boxer on a commercial?

Its only after they realize they can't cut it at those sports they end up at a boxing gym

A non-PPV draw like Victor Ortiz, coming off a humiliating loss and fighting on an undercard makes as much as Lesnar's official payout. Top amateur prospects sign deals before their first fight which pays them more then 99% of all MMA fighters.

Pac just had a nike commercial come out which gave him more screen time then other big name athletes in the same commercial and Mayweather also had an AT&T ad this year. GSP is the only MMA athlete in N.A who had some exposure. We are comparing MMA to boxing so no use in debating that mainstream sports do more, because that is only obvious.

Last edited:
A non-PPV draw like Victor Ortiz, coming off a humiliating loss and fighting on an undercard makes as much as Lesnar's official payout. Top amateur prospects sign deals before their first fight which pays them more then 99% of all MMA fighters.

Pac just had a nike commercial come out which gave him more screen time then other big name athletes in the same commercial and Mayweather also had an AT&T ad this year. GSP is the only MMA athlete in N.A who had some exposure. We are comparing MMA to boxing so no use in debating that mainstream sports do more, because that is only obvious.

Although it is worth pointing out that the average NFL career is only just over 3 years long which gives a very limited time for a player to make as much money as he can. Even someone like Vince Philips was able to turn his talent into a 6 year career being on the B-side of big bouts (even if he did get screwed by Warren when he faced Hatton) as well as making decent money in his smaller contests. Angulo (a guy who's somewhere between a prospect and a contender) could have banked well over $1,000,000 in 2010 just from purses if he'd faced Marquez (and not been caught in a deportation scandal) and we have to assume his career would have continued for years to come if not for his immigration issues.

Aspirations are different from hobbies.

I believe, at this point, that more kids are training MMA (probably mostly jiujitsu) but a much larger percentage of the kids that are getting into boxing at an early age aspire to actually end up boxing as an occupation.

Kids with actual desire to do either as a career, or even as amateurs? It might be around equal. No idea.

only one sport has had a mensa member in it and it ain't mma

Mensa? So impressive! Every sport out there has multiple players/fighters capable of being mensa members. The requirements are not very high. An IQ of 130 or so.

Although it is worth pointing out that the average NFL career is only just over 3 years long which gives a very limited time for a player to make as much money as he can. Even someone like Vince Philips was able to turn his talent into a 6 year career being on the B-side of big bouts (even if he did get screwed by Warren when he faced Hatton) as well as making decent money in his smaller contests. Angulo (a guy who's somewhere between a prospect and a contender) could have banked well over $1,000,000 in 2010 just from purses if he'd faced Marquez (and not been caught in a deportation scandal) and we have to assume his career would have continued for years to come if not for his immigration issues.

Again, small percent. For every angulo there's 1,000 professional boxers who will never see north of 5 grand per fight.

And if you are gonna bring up averages, then let's discuss what the average pay day is for a pro boxer not angulo or phillips. Let's be honest the average pro boxer needs a day job to make a living.

If someone chooses boxing over mma because of potential paydays that the top .05 percent make then they are ignorant and stupid, so yea that's about right.

Last edited:
Back