What does the majority of the youth of today aspire to be? Boxer or MMA fighter?

MMA has the wrestling aspect. Wrestling is a popular sport in both high school and college for kids in america and mma obviously has a huge pull for a good wrestler/

But wrestling programs are getting cut left and right in the US, that is a real sport that is 'dying' in that country. Not that im happy about it, it's a travesty.

MMA programs can't replicate wrestling camps. It's going to be funny when the MMA pioneers will still be better then future generations. More complete, well-rounded fighters who grow up with MMA rather then wrestling/kickboxing etc = mediocre.

But wrestling programs are getting cut left and right in the US, that is a real sport that is 'dying' in that country. Not that im happy about it, it's a travesty.

MMA programs can't replicate wrestling camps. It's going to be funny when the MMA pioneers will still be better then future generations. More complete, well-rounded fighters who grow up with MMA rather then wrestling/kickboxing etc = mediocre.

Depends on the area.. The PA/NJ/OH area is awesome for high school wrestling and high school wrestling programs. The rest of the country.. not so much. Out west and in the south wrestling is a joke and most high school dont even have wrestling. Still through I unfortunately do see wrestling getting "outcompeted" by sports like lax and basketball etc.

I'd say neither.

Many boxers seem to grow up around boxing, either through family or neighborhood.

Many MMA fighters seem to be college wrestlers with no other avenues to take their talents. Plus, I don't think many 10 year old kids aspire to be in their opponents guard for more than a minute.

Most of them aspire to be in the NFL or NBA but in between the two (mma and boxing), I think youth still want to be boxers more.

MMA training is expensive. It requires training in several diciplines and thats why most MMA gyms are in the suburbs. Suburban kids usually have more opportunities other than fighting for a living so MMA isn't really like a job for them.

Boxing, on the other hand, is inexpensive. Most gyms I know charge very little for training and, in some gyms, they'll train you for free if you do some work around the gym.

True. You can train for free if you compete for them. And training for free encourages you to compete, train hard and get better at the sweet science.
I'd even put kickboxing / muay thai above MMA.

It's very expensive plus it's unrealistic that you're gonna master 3-6 different aspects of fighting.

Boxing is doing pretty good these days, but they need to do something with the heavyweight division.

It depends on the demographic, really. I live in north Texas, and MMA is a little more popular here (not BJJ, though. Down here, it's all WRASSALIN'). I'd imagine if I went to Los Angeles or Detroit, though, boxing would be more popular since the UFC does a sh*t job of marketing their product to minorities. That, and MMA is pretty damn expensive. Hell, I myself had to quit cuz I couldn't afford to go anymore.

:icon_neut

There is a huge fallacy in your logic.

"running sets", "learning routs", doing "gaps in football", or having "the hand eye coordination to hit a curve ball" are skills that require talent. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH INTELLIGENCE.

I could use your logic to turn the argument around and say, anyone who doesn't have enough balls to get in the ring, or have the reflexes to slip punches, or have the neccesary technique, or have the required ring IQ for boxing is a retard and some scout for a basketball, football, or baseball team will take him in.

Different sports require different talents/skills.

Besides, this is all a moot point. TS was asking which sport (between MMA and Boxing) do youth aspire to be more. If all sports were considered, then without a doubt Basketball or Football would be number 1.

Huh? Have you ever played football? Talent doesn't help you memorize what play was called and what route you are supposed to run. Talent helps your run a good route and fast, but you still have to KNOW what that route is. And if you are stupid, and can't memorize what I Pro Right Option Left, you go to the boxing gym and punch things.

There are plenty of guys that do well in the NFL combine and then get cut because they are stupid and can't learn the plays.

Last edited:
You're reaching really far with that one. You really are.
Memorization is nothing more than just the act of commiting things to memory. There was a story on the National Geographic Channel a while back of an autistic man who possessed the ability to memorize large amount of information. Does that make him intelligent?

Good job calling out Autism

Michael Fitzgerald, Professor of Psychiatry at Trinity College, Dublin, argued the characteristics linked to autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) were the same as those associated with creative genius.

Prof Fitzgerald cited Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, George Orwell, H G Wells and Ludwig Wittgenstein as examples of famous and brilliant individuals who showed signs of ASDs including Asperger syndrome.
Beethoven, Mozart, Hans Christian Andersen and Immanuel Kant have also received post mortem diagnoses of Asperger's.

Lennox Lewis is a great example of this. In HS he excelled in Footbal, Soccer, and Basketball, but pursued boxing because he had a real talent for it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH He went to a shitty school in Canada, you are really going to say he had skills because he did well in CANADA HIGH SCHOOL? lmao!! D2 college bench warmers would look like stars in canadian basketball/football.

There's 9 canadians in the NFL lol, and 17 canadians in NBA history. So yea Lennox Lewis excelling at a shitty canadian school really means a lot!

He pursued boxing because he wouldn't even made a division 3 college roster in football or basketball let alone make any money in the NFL or NBA.

Last edited:

lots of sports programs are getting cut left and right to feed the big sports which involve so much money now days it's impossible for schools to ignore. This has no bearing on their growth and popularity below college though. It only involves colleges making more money of big sports.

the thread is really going off topic here guys

OT: i think if you look at different parts of the world you'll find a the answers different from one and an other cuz in europe ppl dont think so much bout MMA boxing is the shit here and in asia boxing is really coming up there and rarely anyone knowes bout mma.
when the ufc had an event in dubai and they asked the locals there what they thought bout MMA and the ufc they barley knew what it was what got there attencion to go and see the fights was that there was be a brawl in a cage or something mad like that so ppl though it would be fun to go see legal brawls

Good job calling out Autism

HAHAHAHAHAHAH He went to a shitty school in Canada, you are really going to say he had skills because he did well in CANADA HIGH SCHOOL? lmao!! D2 college bench warmers would look like stars in canadian basketball/football.

There's 9 canadians in the NFL lol, and 17 canadians in NBA history. So yea Lennox Lewis excelling at a shitty canadian school really means a lot!

He pursued boxing because he wouldn't even made a division 3 college roster in football or basketball let alone make any money in the NFL or NBA.

Your whole argument is flawed because it's based on a self proclaimed fact that boxers are dumb.

Your basically saying

"x" is true. (self proclaimed)

So "x" is true by you merely saying it's true. Your argument is flawed. It's based entirely on the premise that boxers are intellectually inferior to other athletes, which is self proclaimed to be true.

Your whole argument is flawed because it's based on a self proclaimed fact that boxers are dumb.

Your basically saying

So "x" is true by you merely saying it's true. Your argument is flawed. It's based entirely on the premise that boxers are intellectually inferior to other athletes, which is self proclaimed to be true.

He's a racist troll, don't feed him.

the suburban kids from orange county are generally turned towards mma because generally wouldn't be caught dead on the streets where you'd fine a real boxing gym.

in that sport, they don't have to be ashamed of the fact that they act hard while all the while hailing from places like dana point, newport beach, or irvine.

Most of them aspire to be in the NFL or NBA but in between the two (mma and boxing), I think youth still want to be boxers more.

MMA training is expensive. It requires training in several diciplines and thats why most MMA gyms are in the suburbs. Suburban kids usually have more opportunities other than fighting for a living so MMA isn't really like a job for them.

Boxing, on the other hand, is inexpensive. Most gyms I know charge very little for training and, in some gyms, they'll train you for free if you do some work around the gym.
I agree with you, I think those that want to train mma can't because of the outrageous
price

Your basically saying

How many boxers do you know with college degrees? Wlad, who else lol? Now lets compare that to other sports. NFL, almost all players have completed 4 years of college, majority of NBA players have completed 4 years of college or atleast 1-2 years. Most american born NHL players have completed college.

Don't kid yourself.

Just go play some James Toney videos and you'll see. He's the first american athlete I have ever seen needing subtitles because he can't speak english properly.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that most guys would box because they know the game having grown up with it in some sense whereas MMA is something that people tend to find out about via the internet or VHS depending on when you found it.
I think that people are still misunderstanding the rules of MMA as well.

The other reason he might have decided on boxing is because he was an Olympian at 18.

uhh, im not sure - walk into any local mall and you'll see nothing but tap out douche bags - so nowadays it appears mma is the new sexy

Back