What does Jones has to prove at HW...

Beating DC doesn't prove he can take on Cain or JDS, it means he can fight a smaller HW and win.

I think Jones legs would crumble under the weight of some of the 245lbsers.

If he beats DC? DC was a destroyer at HW, so if Jones beats DC, doesn't it prove he can deal with strength and power of a HW fighter?

You just can't be considered the greatest fighter ever unless you fight in multiple weight classes and beat guys that are bigger than you. Since that's what jones wants that is what he has to prove.

I think it proves that he would at least do better than his haters think at HWT. as far as his fan boys, like me, I think he can beat everyone at HWT anyway so...

MMAMath is bad for you.

Jones beating DC tells us nothing about how he would do against larger heavyweights.

Should we assume Hendo could have ruled the Pride HW division because he TKO'd Fedor?
Should we assume Ryo Chonan could have tooled Forrest Griffin because he submitted Anderson Silva?
Doesn't work that way.

If Jones beats DC (which I doubt he can), it only proves he can beat DC.
If he wants to prove himself at heavyweight, he needs to fight heavyweights.

It was a KO. Face down ass up.

But you're on the money with that post

Firstly, Jones has nothing to prove at HW. He is the greatest LHW ever and that's all that matters right now.

As for him beating DC, let's not get ahead of ourselves and to say that DC was a HW killer....Come on.. he has 2 HW UFC wins, one against an aging Mir and another against Roy. Feel free to call him a HW killer once he has beat Cain or JDS...

I don't think he has anything to prove. That being said, I think it would garner him a great deal of respect. He is a very large LHW and frequently has a size/reach advantage but if he can surrender that advantage or even be at a disadvantage and win..... well that does herald a great deal of respect and weight in the P4P discussion. I personally think he has a lot more to lose by going up than he has to gain. I say that because I suspect Jon would not have much trouble going into a HW fight as a mid weight heavy, such as 230 or so and taking a loss from someone with a 10lb weight advantage would hurt him more than beating the same fighter would gain him. Now if he were able to become the HW champ, then there is a very solid argument for him being the real deal P4P king.

No point in Jones moving to HW other than him wanting to pursue bigger challenges which is laughable to you when you have the belt, getting money, and have the fame. It's not your fault you cleared out your division in it's current state. It's what you train for. There will always be another fighter the UFC will push "with the hopes of being the one to become champion"

Bottom line is people just want to see Jones lose. Fanboys are mad that he beats there favorites convincingly. The one guy who presented a challenge is the great hope for their cause. They want immediate rematches because he lost the best out of all the losers.

I think the idea of him doing HW would be awesome but he seems to have come to focus on LHW for now. I think the Gus fight really made him realize he wasn't invincible and he can make just as much if not more money dominating LHW than taking a risk at HW.

A win against Cormier would be impressive though. Cormier is newer to the scene but his wins and how he's controlled opponents is hard to ignore. I'd put a win against that guy higher than his Shogun or Rampage win.

well he also has to prove he can beat Gus, since many dispute that fact
but i guess you assume he would have done that before facing DC

No point in Jones moving to HW other than him wanting to pursue bigger challenges which is laughable to you when you have the belt, getting money, and have the fame. It's not your fault you cleared out your division in it's current state. It's what you train for. There will always be another fighter the UFC will push "with the hopes of being the one to become champion"

Bottom line is people just want to see Jones lose. Fanboys are mad that he beats there favorites convincingly. The one guy who presented a challenge is the great hope for their cause. They want immediate rematches because he lost the best out of all the losers.

I hate instant rematches in most case but the JBJ/Gus fight was razor close and extremely entertaining. Many people thought Gus won. I wanted a rematch due to 2 reasons. 1 being that there really wasn't much left for JBJ. 2 the close decision. Now that DC is in the picture, I'd rather see that fight because it's new and has real potential. DC is hurt so I would like to see another good fight for the LHW strap.

I don't see Jon moving to HW any time soon for the reasons you mentioned but I would love to see it. It would be very interesting to see how well he fares without the size advantages. I suspect he would be top 5 but Cain and JDS..... could be very very interesting fights.

Back