What does Jones and Wilder have in common?

I wrestled (Soviet system for the win) and even did some folkstyle. I do know how hard it is going from standing to grappling to back up agai ...
scrambling and the weight of a guy all over me: thats like a rape.

This is not about wrestling, its about MMA.

You can retire to the outside in kick. range and throw leg kicks, just to get a breather (thats what I do) and you dont have that luxury as a boxer.

A guy that knows how to work your body (boxer) was the 2. worst experience in my life.

The worst expierence in my life was a training camp with some Crique de Soleil athletes.

I don't understand how there are associations against abuse of animals, but not of circus folk. The stuff they are put through to perform at the circus is too much.
Same goes for classical ballet.

jon has not been grappling oriented in his style since 2012.... And grappling is not that tiring if you know how to conserve your energy and are used to grappling. And no, breathing through your mouth after 3 or 4 rounds in bad cardio. I saw the fight.

So, Cormier must have garbage cardio then since he was more tired than Jon. Anyway, Jon has generally really good cardio. Cormier was probably the heaviest guy Jon fought. Cormier was clinching with Jon, shooting singles, etc.

Sure, Cormier didn't complete those TDs, but those where some of the deepest shots any fighter got in on Jones barring the unexpected shot from Gus, and Jon fought them all off barring the desperation TD that sapped all of DC's remaining stamina. The fight with DC took place at range, in the phone booth, inside the clinch, off the cage, and brief moments off the mat.

Even most conditioned athlete is gonna be tired from all that. But, being tired and gassed out are too completely things. Colby, who's known for his cardio, was tired against Usman, doesn't mean Colby has bad cardio. It just means certain types of fights and fighters force a pace and match-up that requires more exertion of energy.

Jones doesn't even have weak legs, he just has small calves, pretty much a beach muscle that is the most genetically predetermined on the body and has the least impact on performance. There are videos from years ago where he squats 500 lbs, and he obviously had no issues with strength in the cage.

I don't understand how there are associations against abuse of animals, but not of circus folk. The stuff they are put through to perform at the circus is too much.
Same goes for classical ballet.

Indeed

Jones will break his leg Cory Hill and Anderson Silva style by the time his career is over.
Does Jones ever throw low kicks? He throws that knee front kick, but that wont break his legs, he usually goes to the head/body with his kicks iirc

It’s difficult to make an assessment in terms of ‘what’s more tiring’ between boxing and MMA because each fighter is conditioned for a specific ruleset.

In my time training both sports I would say two things stood out in terms of fitness. The MMA guys were stronger - they would spend much more time lifting weights and grappling itself also lends itself to building a very strong core. The boxing guys were ‘fitter’ in the sense of endurance and durability - they’re generally in great condition and much less likely to wilt if you had the upper hand.

If you look at both sports it makes sense that boxers are much more about endurance. Fights last longer on average and the ring is a much more compact space that is also easier to cut-off than the octagon.

It’s difficult to make an assessment in terms of ‘what’s more tiring’ between boxing and MMA because each fighter is conditioned for a specific ruleset.

In my time training both sports I would say two things stood out in terms of fitness. The MMA guys were stronger - they would spend much more time lifting weights and grappling itself also lends itself to building a very strong core. The boxing guys were ‘fitter’ in the sense of endurance and durability - they’re generally in great condition and much less likely to wilt if you had the upper hand.

If you look at both sports it makes sense that boxers are much more about endurance. Fights last longer on average and the ring is a much more compact space that is also easier to cut-off than the octagon.

Powerlifter and personal trainer Mark Philippi said that boxers were far stronger than MMA guys in his initial tests.

Chicken legs!

So if people are so confident that Wilder does not have the genetics to withstand low kicks, why didn't any of Jones opponents exploit that?
I don't think withstanding leg kicks is dictated by genetics

Tell that to Conor.
He's made it to 5 rounds in MMA but was like the walking dead before it got to the 10th vs Mayweather.
They're just different, one isn't easier than the other they're just different.

Conor gasses within 2 rounds and was finished in 2 rounds in MMA.

If your'e conditioned for both striking and grappling, Boxing is tougher. You can stall guys grappling
MMA minutes are way more taxing than Boxing minutes. 25 minutes of MMA are harder than 36 minutes of boxing.
A freestyle wrestling match consists of three 3 minute periods, a total of 9 minutes. Why so short? Energy is spent at a way higher pace.
Less grappling or wrestling involved means more total minutes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back