What does JDS need to do to win a 3rd fight?

Cardio and keep his hands up, he should get the win next time if he does this

JDS needs to develop his skill set as a whole. He has to go with the same confidence on the ground as stand up. If you can successfully defend take downs then you can land some for sure.

At least now he knows that people can rock him and take him down and he will work towards his progression as a fighter and be multi dimensional. I think that now he knows that he can not always dictate where the fight takes place.

As of Cain - it's obvious that he worked hard for the last year and it paid off. He is a type of guy that will always succeed.

As a fan of JDS I am very sad. He has tons of work to do but at least now he is exposed maybe for good.

Im a huge JDS fan but... I just don't know if he will be able to stop the constant pressure Cain brings. I mean how do you beat Cain if you don't KO him? I can not see anybody winning a decision verse Cain. The in your face pressure is something that I've never seen any other fighter bring. Its almost similar to Fedor in some ways.

So what does JDS need to do in order to win a rubber match? Work on TDD? Keep His hand up all the time? Work on his offensive wrestling? Mix up kicks with his punches?

Opinions?

He needs to relax, he is going to get taken down and it is inevitable. He is never going to win a fight on defence. His best strategy is to play to his strengths, keep his hands up. He is a far superior striker to Cain, however as long as he has his hands down to prevent the takedown he will get tagged.

He is in a similar situation to Anderson. He needs to keep his hands up and strike. Every time you shoot for a takedown you run the risk of getting tagged; That is an advantage for Junior.

For the next fight, they need to work on energy conservation when he is taken down. No need to struggle to try and get up, work your BJJ off your back.

They are in a position for the third bout where they realise it will take nothing short of the kitchen sink for Cain to stop JDS; The damage he incurred came as a result of a fear of the takedown - He offered nothing to counter the takedown in terms of his own offence.

If he keeps his hands up, the worst case scenario is likely a loss via UD without too much damage. The positive note is that he can end the fight at any point, and with hindsight should be able to conserve a lot more energy by relaxing off his back.

Watch Wrestlemania. :D Watch the luchadores and mimick their acrobatics.

beating cain with his own tools, taking him down early and finish him
cuz jds is stronger in the first moments of the fight
or surviving the first two rounds without big damage, better defense, not just moving backwards with hands low

Compose a well thought out game plan like he said he didn't going into this fight which had me believe that he said to himself ima juss go wit the flow punch punch stay up right is what he has on his mind

Oh my...

But seriously, remember when Fry ate a parasite-infested burrito and became really awesome at everything? No...wait...that wasn't real life.

You gotta be talking about the burrito, because the awesome at everything part is definitely real life!

5462503_std.jpg

The reason JDS didn't put his hands up as much (he did put his hands up quite a few times) is because Cain has the threat of TD and division best ground & pound. What JDS did not expect was that Cain has legit striking capability. It is not the matter of "keeping his hands up" that is the issue here.

JDS didn't take Cain seriously. "I didn't have a game plan." It was clear as day. Watch the straight right that landed on JDS, JDS was like "ha, Cain ain't got noth--" POW!!! JDS was backing away weakly, with absolutely no head movement.

Head movement. JDS had horrible head movement in that fight. Cain landed his right hand at will.

Posture. JDS used the wrong posture. He is supposed to square up his stance if he was expecting take downs. This is why Anderson Silva is king, he knows the right stance for every fighting style. He squared up against Sonnen beautifully in the 2nd fight. JDS stood like he always does, which is why Cain kept attacking his right leg with single leg takedowns.

as mentioned:
Keep his hands up. He got tagged/rocked several times each round, that zaps your cardio. If you get put on queer street, your legs go rubber for a while -> this will fix some of the 'gassing' you guys are complaining about.

in addition to what others are saying:
stop lunging for a body shot, and use a sharp jab (and double up on it when you use them). This keeps your opponent off of his timing, makes them not trust their own range, and mouses up the eye(s).

maybe work in some leg kicks as well as teep kicks to the knees?

Keep his fucking hands up and actually try to use some head movement and respect Cain's punching power.

Actually defend the standup. His striking defense was shocking. Even early on in the fight before getting hit big, Cain virtually hit him in the mouth at will, I was like wtf is this. He was just letting him hit him it seems. Also he let Cain dictate the pace. If you watch Cigano's dominant performances, he's usually the one dictating the pace. I think there's potential for the third fight to be an absolute war if both men try their hardest to impose their game. Cain learned from the first fight and Junior needs to absolutely learn from this fight. I believe if they have a 3rd fight soon, it could possibly be fight of the year.

As many other people said, he needs to fricking defend himself. It was obvious that he had no respect for Cain's stand-up--he wasn't even TRYING to avoid Cain's shots, and consequently ate that big one and was rocked and out of it for the rest of the fight.

JDS was, shockingly, just totally arrogant about the stand-up. It's obvious he didn't drill any striking defense at all for this fight; he was getting beaten on the feet because he wasn't bothering to defend even before that big punch.

I suspect that the heavyweight curse will stick around for a long time (no dominant champion). Those guys are just all so strong, even a crappy striker can KO almost anybody with a glancing shot. All it takes is one mistake and you're screwed for the rest of the fight if it's not an instant KO. I'm guessing that Overeem will KO Cain next, then JDS or somebody will take out Overeem, and it will all just be musical chairs.

the pressure Cain puts on people is fricking incredible. I mean its damn near amazing

Back