what does it take to open a BJJ school ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by paypayvay, Sep 27, 2010.

1. paypayvay

paypayvay Blue Belt

just asking , what kind of procedures one most follow to open a BJJ school ? is having a black belt enough to get the licence , or you should compete in some kind of professional bout ( mundials etc....) ?

ps :not talking about myself , i'am only blue belt and broke as shit , just out of curiosity

2. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

EDIT

Nevermind... I don't know shit :)

3. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I would think it just takes a bit of start up capital. Your skill doesn't matter when it comes to actually opening the place. Your skill would just determine the quality of instruction your school would offer and how many students you get. Obviously the better skilled you are and the better you are to teach those skills, the more students will come. As for opening a business, it really doesn't require as much money as one would think. In fact, there's many government grants out there right now for just such a thing. For those not famliar with grants, they're free money to be used for an expressed purpose. You don't have to pay them back. You just have to apply for them and show what the money was used for. Many are fairly simple to get as well seeing how most folks don't know about them and no one ever applies for them. Start up $$$ is much easier to get than you might think. Keep your overhead low and start small. Sell a quality product and take care of your clients. That's business. Enjoy.

4. paypayvay

paypayvay Blue Belt

looks easy damn :D

5. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

If you don't have at least $20,000 USD cash on hand, you prolly won't be successful. Also, you better wanna roll 12 hours a day and be prepared to have no students for a while. Also consider that your black belt will be doing this full time and you'll need this guy to have this be worth his while. Consider how long it took to become a black belt compared to becoming a Dr, how much money and how many hours have been spent at tournaments, dues, gi, belts, testing, travel, seminars... how much should this guy make a year? A lot.

So consider whatever grants and business loans you get need to include 6 months to a year salary in the plan because you may have zero income for a while and negative income for a while and then small income for a while.

6. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

Most important thing is probably insurance...If someone sues you for a million bucks and you lose, say bye bye to the entire business. If you have insurance, you'll just tell them to 'f*k off' and let his lawyer investigate how to get the money from you....

ONGOING COSTS: insurance, rent, electric bill, internet bill, cleaning supplies
    STARTUP COSTS: Designing the club, equipment for the club etc

7. admbaum

admbaum Orange Belt

Something is telling me you dont own a business

8. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

You are correct. I don't own a business. I've been running them for close to 10 years though and have taken 2 of them from the brink of shutting their doors to being very profitable. I could have posted pages upon pages of startup procedures, business law, ethics and practices and even gone into US-SOX and J-SOX procedures for publicly traded entities who can't seem to keep their paperwork together and yada yada yada but I chose to give an extremely basic overview of how to acquire money if you are broke which seemed to be the TS's concern.

9. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

I''ve helped set up two gyms (one for boxing/Muay Thai, one for MMA) and it takes a lot of time, and a fair bit of cash.

I also have the pleasure of working for a Gracie Barra, which took even more time and even more money to build. The owner has been in biz for about 13 years and he's doing very well for himself. But there's a lot to learn to go from being an OK gym to being a successful, fully operational school. No amount of money can just buy this experience, you just have to put in the time.

10. KING86

KING86 Orange Belt

$ Plain and simple!

11. admbaum

admbaum Orange Belt

where are these federal grants you speak of?

I've scoured grants.gov and found nothing, not 1 red cent.

I'm not asking to flame, asking cause I'm genuinely curious.

12. GS828

GS828 Yellow Belt

13. Freezing Winds**

Freezing Winds** Green Belt

you don't need anything.

some good guys started off teaching out of their home.

so i guess mats is all you really need.

14. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

Unfortunately, they don't exist unless you are a minority. NOW if you are a minority you can apply and get ALL KINDS of special privledges and money etc. It is a special thing to be a minority.

OR you could get a minority business partner and classify your business as "minority owned" That would be ideal.

15. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I didn't mention anything about federal grants. Grants like this are more likely to be given at the state level. In fact, I can tell you right now that the federal government does not offer grants to start or expand a current business. You'll have to do some digging in your state. I probably should have been more clear. I can see where the mix up would come. State government is where you're more likely to find small business grants. Again, they vary on the state, but my state (Virginia) in particular is great for helping small businesses.

16. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

It's not. It's very hard to run a small business, and even harder in the field of martial arts. If you're looking to earn a good living, being a martial arts instructor is a very hard way to do it.

17. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

It would definitely be a labor of love. I can only imagine.

18. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Expect to take a lot of loss at first financially. Basics would be a good location, money to advertise, build a website, be willing to cater to people you don't like, spend many hours building your client base, and pray to God it takes off.

19. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

My instructor runs our school and I can see the time and energy he sacrifices to keep it afloat. We have a very loyal and dedicated base of students and we help out whenever we can, so I guess that makes it possible for the place to work. But I can't imagine that he's making a whole lot. It is undoubtedly a labor of love.

20. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.