What Does it Mean When the Belt Changes Hands Often?

Twister44

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does it mean that the division is stacked since so many contenders can dethrone the champ or does it mean that it is meteoker since no fighter can hold it for a long time.

This is mainly referring to the LHW era where no one could get more than 1 defense in before losing it.

But IMO if the belt changes hands often, the division is stacked.

This doesn't include the Spider cause he is just a fucking ninja.

If the title consistently changes hand, it means that the division has a bunch of fighters on the same level. It doesn't mean the division is stacked, just competitive. I'm really not sure how that is such a hard concept to grasp.

If the title consistently changes hand, it means that the division has a bunch of fighters on the same level. It doesn't mean the division is stacked, just competitive. I'm really not sure how that is such a hard concept to grasp.

This. If one guy was suddenly added to the HW division who dominated these other guys and held the belt, would that mean the division is no longer stacked by TS's logic?

its not. i appreciate the insight but it can go w/o the douche.

Just means that you have a bunch of guys who are close to one another and match up well stylistically against the champ. The division does not have to be staked in order for this to occur, you remove Anderson from MW and the title would pass along as I really do not believe there is someone who is at the top if the heap who beats 3 - 9 at MW.

its not. i appreciate the insight but it can go w/o the douche.

In my defense, it comes up a lot and people still don't seem to get it even after it's been reiterated 32343254 times.

Parity in the division.

That's it. They could all be terrible fighters, but all equally terrible fighters. The belt would still change hands because everyone is of similar skill.

Parity does not in itself signify overall strength.

Conversely, one dominant champ does not in itself signify that the rest of the division is bad. Keyboard analysts like to look at these things superficially to judge divisions as a whole.

Bunch of overrated fighters holding the belts after beating up former sub-par lucky champs.

I mean, these people ain't Gomi and Fedor or Wand or anything.

When 1 guy rules, it's because everybody sucks and no one can beat him.

When it changes hands a lot, it's because everybody sucks and have weaknesses.

The guy just wanted to discuss something interesting he noticed about a division. And he's clearly not the genius you are, although you didn't pick up the obvious there, but I guess that too is a hard concept to grasp. Sorry dude.

The guy just wanted to discuss something interesting he noticed about a division. And he's clearly not the genius you are, although you didn't pick up the obvious there, but I guess that too is a hard concept to grasp. Sorry dude.

That's all well and good, except for the fact it isn't interesting and the answer is blindingly obvious.

Just means that you have a bunch of guys who are close to one another and match up well stylistically against the champ. The division does not have to be staked in order for this to occur, you remove Anderson from MW and the title would pass along as I really do not believe there is someone who is at the top if the heap who beats 3 - 9 at MW.

Chris Weidman. You read it here folks!

Parity is not a bad thing. I like highly competitive divisions. Think about mainstream sports. It's pretty rare nowadays (last few years) to see back to back championship teams. Just means that the competition is good.

Bunch of overrated fighters holding the belts after beating up former sub-par lucky champs.

I mean, these people ain't Gomi and Fedor or Wand or anything.
You mean Gomi, Fedor, and Wand from a time machine from the past right?

A few other things that effect it:

The style of the top fighters matters. If the top 2 guys are "bangers", it's more likely to change hands often because even if one guy is solidly better than the other, the weaker fighter has a slugger's chance. In a wrestlefest, even if one guy is slightly better, he'll probably win the vast majority of the time.

Weight also matters. There's more luck at heavyweight because a single punch to the jaw is much more likely to take a guy out. To take the belt at bantam you generally need to outclass your opponent for a prolongued period. At heavy, it just takes one split second of the champ being off his game.

Does it mean that the division is stacked since so many contenders can dethrone the champ or does it mean that it is meteoker since no fighter can hold it for a long time.

This is mainly referring to the LHW era where no one could get more than 1 defense in before losing it.

But IMO if the belt changes hands often, the division is stacked.

This doesn't include the Spider cause he is just a fucking ninja.

i am a little disappointed sherdog. 17 posts in and nobody ripped TS for "meteoker" wow normally that would get sorted by post 2-4 :icon_chee

on topic, Serrabytko had it right.

i am a little disappointed sherdog. 17 posts in and nobody ripped TS for "meteoker" wow normally that would get sorted by post 2-4 :icon_chee

on topic, Serrabytko had it right.

Bahahahhaha

Back