What Does Dillashaw Need to do to Become the BW GOAT?

He will need to defend his belt for a ridiculous amount of times like every goat

beat cody again and defend more times.... Nobody knows if Cruz will come back.

He needs his future contenders to become stars

Finish or go 2-1 against Cruz.

Or beat Cody again, avenge Cruz loss, and beat a couple other top fighters.

Defend his title maybe?

I love the MMA crowd these days. Every fighter becomes the greatest ever as soon as they get a title.
I never once said he was the best. I simply asked what it would take, seeing as he is the clear no. 2 at BW and no. 1 at BW without Cruz.

It's still a possibility for him to avenge both the Cruz and Dodson fights.

Dodson was 2 split decisions away from being the number 1 contender.
And TJ is 2 SDs away from being 17-1, 6x defending champ on a 12 fight UFC win streak.

Win constantly up until he retires. Pretty much what all GOATS should technically have to do.

Beating Garbrandt again and by stoppage is huge imo.

Then beating any combo of Rivera Moraes and/or Assuncao, again.

Thoughts?

Obviously beating Cruz (and I think he would in a rematch) would be big for this to come true; however, I don't see Cruz coming back soon, sadly.

Dillashaw's resume has wins over: Barao x2, Assuncao, Lineker and Garbrandt right now. He is only 32, so I think he definitely has time to get more big wins, if he doesn't chase Demetrious Johnson.
LOL
He was humiliated by Cruz.
Then he was losing to Cody until he caught him with a lucky punch.

he will need a lot more than that to surpass Cruz.

Beat Cody, beat Cruz, beat a few guys above his weight class and remove that gyno.

Beat Cody, finish Cruz, keep winning and stay healthy. Defend that belt.

TJ is already the BW goat, people just don't know it yet because of bad judging and politics.

If scored correctly it according to the rules TJ beat Cruz. Unified scoring gives no "points" for defense and TJ landed the cleaner harder strikes throughout a striking based fight. **

If that SD goes his way TJ is 6x defending champ* on a 12 fight win streak against the toughest BW schedule anyone has ever faced.

* TJ faced top 5 ranked Assuncao and Lineker while Dom got a BS "grudge match" against retiree Faber who came off a fight against an unranked opponent, these where Shitle to worthy opponents. Both were also ranked higher than Cody who got his shot as #6.

** Dom landed ZERO strikes on the ground and never advanced or even maintained position- aka no points, and the small duration of grappling doesn't outweigh the striking which covered most of the round. Since defense is also not scored as it is viewed as "its own reward" TJ missing is irrelevant.

** IF you consider striking DEAD EVEN, the next criteria is aggression (after grappling which was not the focus of the rounds and wasn't effective for either fighter).
TJ was clearly the aggressor as he pushed the action all night moving forward and initiating striking exchanges.

It was a close fight but based on the judging criteria, TJ deserved the win.

LOL

Really... re-watch both fights, please

People are over rating the shit out of Dom in this thread. (And I say that as a huge fan who has spend literally hours watching film studies on him and the boxers he took his style from).

3 UFC title defenses
2 against Faber who went 0 for his last 6, usually gifted, title shots
1 against MM, a nat 125er who was still working full time.

Dom's WEC run was also primarily against natural 125ers like Jorgenson and Joe B.

He is an amazing fighter who spent about 4 years of his prime injured and gets a TON of credit for things he could have done but when you look at his actual UFC record it is pretty thin.

Dom won 5 ufc title fights, and TJ's at 4 so Cody + one more top ranked defense.

Really... re-watch both fights, please
I did. And yes, it was competitive, but you are blind if you don't think Cruz had that fight in the bag well before you heard from the judges.
And Cody fight, again, extremely biased if you don't think Cody was winning.

Beat Cody, beat Cruz, beat Moraes, then beat the next 3-5 title contenders after.. then he can be in the 135 GOAT discussions. But currently, he isn't anywhere near the 135 GOAT imo. Beside clearly losing to Cruz.. I was at that fight and I dont get the "controversy" he portrays in his head over that fight, he was beat by Dodson, who did better at 125, and was beat by Assuncao.. Though he did avenge that loss. Having losses to those he has lost to, not named Cruz, doesn't put him in the GOAT conversation yet, or p4p, being he only defended the belt vs Barao and Soto in the past. Dodson will never be a title contender and Assuncao is more the gate keeper type in the end. Plus who has he beat in his career thus far, beside Barao and Cody, that put him in the GOAT conversation?

LOL

Um, Cruz barely won and many thought he lost.
Screenshot_20180717-203345.png

Also, don't act like Garbrant dominated. The fight was good until Cody landed a single good shot. Just like Killashaw did, but TJ finished him. And again, is it a lucky punch if you throw it with the intent of doing harm? TJ was setting him up with that punch, pivot, punch in southpaw-- I don't even think Cody knew he switched stances.

Stop shitposting.

Defend his belt against other BWs and not chase poor little Mighty Mouse around.

Back